Poll: The torment of existence or the horror of non-being
Existence
Non-being
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Better to not have been?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
03-11-2013, 07:43 PM
RE: Better to not have been?
(01-11-2013 05:58 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(01-11-2013 04:55 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  Non-being will happen someday - half the fun isn't knowing. Considering non-being to me doesn't include torment makes it a plus. Torment of existence in the way I see it isn't applicable to myself at this very moment. Sounds like a stupid slogan of "handi-capable" is coming around the bend...

Torture has been philosophized to death, then brought back to life and then killed again.

The question I have once posed that probably is the most disturbing I've ever come up with: how many of these tortures are really just inside ones own head, the product of ones own mind?

I think you'd like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_unanswered_questions

Actually read it, (unlike I do whenever someone gives me a link :cool: )

For the Pali Canon I would go for 2, 4 and 10.

Like Girly, the Sabbasava-Sutta is a nice one to reflect on. :)

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2013, 08:14 PM
(03-11-2013 07:26 PM)Luminon Wrote:  
(03-11-2013 02:59 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Well, I never stopped believing in God after I decided to friendly-ly part ways with Catholicism. (I said 'Le Gode' just for fun, I just call him God). But with a non-sectarian prayer technique of clearing the mind, I actually could start witnessing him. Before it was all faith and no fact. Now I had fact/experience to back up and reinvigorate my faith. So, I suppose I'm doing the right thing, though who knows, in several years I may end up going to Sunday Mass again (as a liberal Catholic), but really my goal as of my 'conversion' is enlightenment; the state of freedom of suffering, essentially the feeling of meditation without meditating. So I chose the existence option because I need time to explain the world, because it has some terrifying things and some beautiful things.
You remind me of myself a lot. You come from different tradition, have a different skill set and you seem to be less technically minded, but I get the impression you're going through the same experiences.

If you look for release from suffering and permanent meditation, then you are probably still in the honeymoon phase of the relationship with God Wink

I don't know about release from suffering, but there might be less caring about suffering. Once you look into the mind of god as you would call it, you see there such treasures, such beauty and meaning, and also such dangers, that you can not not try to go and manifest some of it in the world, re-create the beauty or describe it, and avert the dangers, apply the perceived solutions... This is the true work I mean, work and joy and Self-expression are one. You may find out nothing ever belongs to you, no idea is really new and yours, yet you can receive everything, if you do the right kind of work, with the right kind of attitude...

Well meditation and a lot of Cat Stevens lol!

There's reason we can name the few Buddhas that have blessed Earth. It doesn't happen often. But I can dream.
04-11-2013, 05:52 AM
(24-10-2013 07:58 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Hello.

Now that you're here, do you prefer the torment of existence or the horror of non-being? Coming into existence at all gives chances to become one with everything (AKA God) but also the chance to die, confused and angry, with no insight. This thread assumes that an afterlife could exist, but does not matter.

What say you?

I disagree with your premise, but I voted existence.

Non-being does have some appeal, but I think existing is better.
04-11-2013, 06:39 PM
(04-11-2013 05:52 AM)Juv Wrote:  
(24-10-2013 07:58 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Hello.

Now that you're here, do you prefer the torment of existence or the horror of non-being? Coming into existence at all gives chances to become one with everything (AKA God) but also the chance to die, confused and angry, with no insight. This thread assumes that an afterlife could exist, but does not matter.

What say you?

I disagree with your premise, but I voted existence.

Non-being does have some appeal, but I think existing is better.

Mind telling us some appeal? Smile
06-11-2013, 11:20 AM
This is a silly question. I already have been "non-being" since the dawn of time. I have existed since birth, and I'm glad.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
06-11-2013, 08:17 PM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2013 08:22 PM by Christsays.)
...Not dying confused and angry? Dodgy

(01-11-2013 04:55 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  The question I have once posed that probably is the most disturbing I've ever come up with: how many of these tortures are really just inside ones own head, the product of ones own mind?

Ooooooo. Nice one. Simplistic, but nice.
06-11-2013, 08:29 PM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2013 08:37 PM by Christsays.)
How do you dislike posts, by the way? Chippy seems to be trying to sound educated and knowledgeable.

(01-11-2013 01:54 AM)Chippy Wrote:  
Quote:What chances do you think I think I have?

<<0.5

...50%?
06-11-2013, 08:32 PM
(06-11-2013 11:20 AM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  This is a silly question. I already have been "non-being" since the dawn of time. I have existed since birth, and I'm glad.

Whatever.
06-11-2013, 09:51 PM
(06-11-2013 11:20 AM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  This is a silly question. I already have been "non-being" since the dawn of time. I have existed since birth, and I'm glad.

[Image: HesRightYouKnowMorganFreeman_zps8afb3143.jpeg]

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 3 users Like Free Thought's post
07-11-2013, 02:13 PM
(06-11-2013 09:51 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  

[Image: HesRightYouKnowMorganFreeman_zps8afb3143.jpeg]

Take a like for his Holiness Morgan Freeman!