Better to remain silent...?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-12-2012, 09:40 AM
Better to remain silent...?
Public Buses Across Country Quietly Adding Microphones to Record Passenger Conversations
Quote: Transit authorities in cities across the country are quietly installing microphone-enabled surveillance systems on public buses that would give them the ability to record and store private conversations, according to documents obtained by a news outlet.

The systems are being installed in San Francisco, Baltimore, and other cities with funding from the Department of Homeland Security in some cases, according to the Daily, which obtained copies of contracts, procurement requests, specs and other documents.

The use of the equipment raises serious questions about eavesdropping without a warrant, particularly since recordings of passengers could be obtained and used by law enforcement agencies.

The systems use cables or WiFi to pair audio conversations with camera images in order to produce synchronous recordings. Audio and video can be monitored in real-time, but are also stored onboard in blackbox-like devices, generally for 30 days, for later retrieval. Four to six cameras with mics are generally installed throughout a bus, including one near the driver and one on the exterior of the bus.
Cities that have installed the systems or have taken steps to procure them include San Francisco, California; Eugene, Oregon; Traverse City, Michigan; Columbus, Ohio; Baltimore Maryland; Hartford, Connecticut; and Athens, Georgia.
Full article at wired: http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/12...veillance/

You must be happy because all this is for YOUR own security. Government should put microphones in your houses, cars, etc.
You must be proud of being US citizens!!

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-12-2012, 10:02 AM
RE: Better to remain silent...?
First!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
11-12-2012, 02:13 PM
I really, really don't get why people oppose these sorta things (unless they're a criminal or criminally stupid). If the Government wanna listen to me sit on the bus and mutter to myself about what's in the paper then I really don't care, if they wanna listen to me talk to a friend about what was on TV last night or how I really enjoyed playing Dishonored the other day then I equally don't care.

The only people who may be put out by this are people who could be discussing criminal activity on the bus (which is beyond stupid anyway), and I really don't care about them.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 2 users Like Hughsie's post
11-12-2012, 02:51 PM
(11-12-2012 02:13 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  The only people who may be put out by this are people who could be discussing criminal activity on the bus (which is beyond stupid anyway), and I really don't care about them.
There are other reasons that someone might not want to be scrutinized in public. I, for example, have Asperger Syndrome, and for various complicated reasons that would probably take a book to explain, the cameras on the bus make me extremely uncomfortable and are in fact actually pretty bad for my mental health. Unfortunately, there isn't really much I can do about it.
[+] 1 user Likes pianodwarf's post
11-12-2012, 02:53 PM
(11-12-2012 02:13 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  I really, really don't get why people oppose these sorta things (unless they're a criminal or criminally stupid). If the Government wanna listen to me sit on the bus and mutter to myself about what's in the paper then I really don't care, if they wanna listen to me talk to a friend about what was on TV last night or how I really enjoyed playing Dishonored the other day then I equally don't care.

The only people who may be put out by this are people who could be discussing criminal activity on the bus (which is beyond stupid anyway), and I really don't care about them.
Well, some crackpots believe their Government wants to spy on them just because. Other people claim this is
an invasion to their privacy rights (but, who is giving them those privacy rights? their Government, of course!!)

I don't agree with this measure because all that money invested in the technology could be used in better
things (i.e. health services, education, etc.).
As you say, I can't imagine terrorists in a bus talking about blowing up a building!!

That's a very stupid way to waste money.

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
[+] 1 user Likes KVron's post
11-12-2012, 02:56 PM
(11-12-2012 02:53 PM)KVron Wrote:  Well, some crackpots believe their Government wants to spy on them just because. Other people claim this is
an invasion to their privacy rights (but, who is giving them those privacy rights? their Government, of course!!)

I don't agree with this measure because all that money invested in the technology could be used in better
As you say, I can't imagine terrorists in a bus talking about blowing up a building!!

Discussing criminal activity in public may be stupid but I could well believe it happens quite a bit. It could also help convict people involved in spur of the moment criminal activity on buses.

I would need to research facts and statistics before I could say whether the idea was good value for money but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it.

Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
11-12-2012, 03:05 PM
(11-12-2012 02:51 PM)pianodwarf Wrote:  
(11-12-2012 02:13 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  The only people who may be put out by this are people who could be discussing criminal activity on the bus (which is beyond stupid anyway), and I really don't care about them.
There are other reasons that someone might not want to be scrutinized in public. I, for example, have Asperger Syndrome, and for various complicated reasons that would probably take a book to explain, the cameras on the bus make me extremely uncomfortable and are in fact actually pretty bad for my mental health. Unfortunately, there isn't really much I can do about it.
Spray paint.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
11-12-2012, 03:07 PM
(11-12-2012 02:53 PM)KVron Wrote:  
(11-12-2012 02:13 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  I really, really don't get why people oppose these sorta things (unless they're a criminal or criminally stupid). If the Government wanna listen to me sit on the bus and mutter to myself about what's in the paper then I really don't care, if they wanna listen to me talk to a friend about what was on TV last night or how I really enjoyed playing Dishonored the other day then I equally don't care.

Well, some crackpots believe their Government wants to spy on them just because. Other people claim this is

No, I have a right to privacy. This is not bestowed by government - it is to be defended from government.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
11-12-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:Wow, you have six ounces of weed in your room right now? I know I can use at least one - I always want good weed and my brother still has pain from his back surgery. And I know another guy who's Mom is starting her chemo next week - he might need quite a bit down the road. Lets meet up tomorrow and I'll bring the other guy. I'm sure we can work out some arrangement.

They will be the first to be arrested in the US... I guarantee it. Is that criminal enough? Wink

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
11-12-2012, 04:22 PM
(11-12-2012 03:14 PM)kim Wrote:  
Quote:Wow, you have six ounces of weed in your room right now? I know I can use at least one - I always want good weed and my brother still has pain from his back surgery. And I know another guy who's Mom is starting her chemo next week - he might need quite a bit down the road. Lets meet up tomorrow and I'll bring the other guy. I'm sure we can work out some arrangement.

They will be the first to be arrested in the US... I guarantee it. Is that criminal enough? Wink

I personally used to have a little weed from time to time and I don't agree with drug laws. However, I don't think that means I shouldn't be subject to them. If I ever had faced arrest or prosecution under drug laws I would have accepted it.

I absolutely disagree with the notion that the law is something people get to pick and choose from.

Best
Worst