Beyond Belief- Beyond Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-10-2014, 02:54 PM
RE: Beyond Belief- Beyond Atheism
(17-10-2014 11:13 AM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  How do you feel about the term "Atheist"? Do you call yourself something else?

I yam what I yam Angel Atheist is a good word. Fuck all those who would misunderstand, I don't care about them anyway. They can go define their own words if they wanna.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
17-10-2014, 02:55 PM
(17-10-2014 02:00 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  Atheism is the positive claim that logic can be used without God.

You are not welcome in my thread.

I have spent all the time I intend to on the refutation of your points and the assisted suicide of your character. It's up to you to spend your time under your bridge or harassing people, but I am done attempting conversation in either case.

That is, unless you have something of substance to say about these.

A Message and Refutation for Diddo97

The Trial of Diddo97

In the words of Mrs. Basil Fawlty

"I have seen more intelligent creatures than you lying on their backs at the bottom of ponds. I have seen more organized creatures than you running around farmyards with their heads cut off. Now collect your things and get out!"

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness.

-Karl Marx
[+] 3 users Like Dark Phoenix's post
17-10-2014, 03:04 PM
Although I didn't expect it quite as soon as it came, I am reminded how much I detest dishonest people who are doing their best to muddy the water when it comes to defining Atheism. It is one thing to ask if Atheism is a doctrine involving positive claims, it is another to assert it against the voices of those who are most expert on the subject, Atheists. I am convinced that many believers are perfectly aware of what Atheism is, yet are determined to campaign against it using lies and slander.

I don't feel that I speak for all Atheists, expect in my disbelief in gods, and that is mere definition. A believer, or just an outsider to this community, who posts on the forum a contradictory definition is not only wrong but very arrogant.

It is not as though one can judge based on dogmatic tenants or authoritarian texts as one can in religion. We have nothing of that kind. You have to ask Atheists to discover what it is they value and you won't always get the same answers.

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness.

-Karl Marx
[+] 3 users Like Dark Phoenix's post
17-10-2014, 03:07 PM
Personally, I do not think that those boxes exist at all. Everyone on earth in some way or another is a humanist and a skeptic. Humanist, skeptic, free thinker, agnostic. Those are just merely parts of the same whole that makes up what it means to be an atheist.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post
17-10-2014, 03:12 PM
(17-10-2014 02:48 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  No one can define what a god is. I may reject the concept if I ever hear a coherent one, meanwhile I'm a Igtheist.
Nevermind what I said before.

Igtheism is the one that bugs me, not apatheism. Although Apatheism is annoying. Igtheism is playing a game, pure and simple.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
17-10-2014, 04:03 PM
(17-10-2014 02:18 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(17-10-2014 02:00 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  Atheism is the positive claim that logic can be used without God.

I find it difficult to credit that you see any point to offering such statements.

Any point besides trolling for lulz, mind.
Well, interestingly enough what he said is sort of implicitly true. Although it's not really a claim. More like an implicit quality of atheism is the belief that logic (or anything else we know exists) can exist without a god. Ultimately, it's a pointless observation though.

A claim that is ridiculous would be: [any observable phenomenon or object] can only exist if [non-observable, unconfirmed, completely lacking in evidence]-[phenomenon, object, or entity] exists.

17-10-2014, 04:06 PM (This post was last modified: 17-10-2014 04:12 PM by GirlyMan.)

The extent of your illogical understanding of logic never ceases to amaze me. For the love of God man, take a fucking class.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
17-10-2014, 05:26 PM
(17-10-2014 03:12 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Igtheism is the one that bugs me, not apatheism. Although Apatheism is annoying. Igtheism is playing a game, pure and simple.

Calling inadequately defined and incoherent concepts inadequately defined and incoherent is a game, now?

Since when?

... this is my signature!
17-10-2014, 05:30 PM
(17-10-2014 05:26 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(17-10-2014 03:12 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Igtheism is the one that bugs me, not apatheism. Although Apatheism is annoying. Igtheism is playing a game, pure and simple.

Calling inadequately defined and incoherent concepts inadequately defined and incoherent is a game, now?

Since when?
It's playing semantics (which I know is a popular debate strategy, one which I hate) when the words have generally understood definitions.

"Well I don't have a stance on theism because I don't know what you mean by "god""....you find this to be useful?

17-10-2014, 05:38 PM

That's illogical.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce