Beyond True and False

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-09-2015, 03:46 PM
Beyond True and False
This piece is a little long (3700 words) but is an excellent treatise on how both Western and Eastern philosophy came up with 4-valued logic completely independent of each other.

Beyond True and False

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
23-09-2015, 03:51 PM
RE: Beyond True and False
What we can reconstruct of Mesoamerican philosophical discourse seemed to be heading in a similar direction, too, for that matter, but... well. You know.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
23-09-2015, 03:54 PM
I didn't have the patience (nor, possibly, the competence) to read the whole thing, but there's some interesting shit there. I was just recently introduced to the concept of "neither true nor false" as regards future contingencies, and that's pretty sensible. I still find "both true and false" a bit mind-blowing, though. Interesting shit.
23-09-2015, 04:08 PM (This post was last modified: 23-09-2015 06:46 PM by GirlyMan.)
(23-09-2015 03:54 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I didn't have the patience (nor, possibly, the competence) to read the whole thing, but there's some interesting shit there. I was just recently introduced to the concept of "neither true nor false" as regards future contingencies, and that's pretty sensible. I still find "both true and false" a bit mind-blowing, though. Interesting shit.

It's an easy read intended for genpop but it is long. The concept of ineffable as a logical construct was new to me.

It makes sense to me that if you give up the principle of the excluded middle it seems natural to give up its corollary the principle of noncontradiction. It makes more sense if you look at it from a database perspective. Priest's example is he googles his own name and gets 4 different entries referring to him which have different home addresses. Priest knows which one is accurate but to an arbitrary observer (say a bounty hunter who accidentally busts down the sheriff's door) it's a contradiction. 4-valued logic is natural for database folk as a way of dealing with dirty data. They generally refer to p & ~p as "unknown" since there is conflicting evidence and p V ~p as "indeterminate" since there's no evidence for either.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
28-09-2015, 02:29 PM
Interesting. I've had discussions elsewhere as to whether we invent mathematics or discover it. My take is we discover it, because it is embedded in nature. In the case of the Buddha and Nagarjuna, they had the logic results but not a firm theory of it, as mathematicians do now. Or maybe they did, and I just didn't see it. I confess to being trained in the PEM and PNC (just like almost anyone who took first-order predicate calculus and didn't go further in philosophy). How well-versed I am with it now is debatable, since that philosophy class is 35 years in my past. I just had my mind opened up a crack in a new direction.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
03-10-2015, 04:09 AM
Thanks Girly.

I enjoyed that.

‘There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth: not going all the way, and not starting.’

So the biggest mistake one can make is thinking one has the truth to start with.

Or should that be 'Truth'.

Consider

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
03-10-2015, 04:22 AM
(03-10-2015 04:09 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Thanks Girly.

I enjoyed that.

‘There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth: not going all the way, and not starting.’

So the biggest mistake one can make is thinking one has the truth to start with.

Consider

Never trust anyone who treats the word 'truth' as a proper noun and needlessly capitalizes it. Dodgy

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
03-10-2015, 05:24 AM
(03-10-2015 04:22 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(03-10-2015 04:09 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Thanks Girly.

I enjoyed that.

Consider

Never trust anyone who treats the word 'truth' as a proper noun and needlessly capitalizes it. Dodgy

Ain't That The Truth.

Yes

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
03-10-2015, 06:35 AM
(03-10-2015 05:24 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(03-10-2015 04:22 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Never trust anyone who treats the word 'truth' as a proper noun and needlessly capitalizes it. Dodgy

Ain't That The Truth.

Yes

[Image: disapproval.gif]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
03-10-2015, 07:32 AM
One legged sandpipers ?
False

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.