Beyond "Where do babies come from?" for freethinking children

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-06-2013, 11:49 AM
Yesterday I was talking to my 6 year old stepson about having a baby (I'm 5 months pregnant). He asked a really great question that I wasn't sure how to answer. He wanted to know why women are able to create and bear children when men cannot. The question wasn't so much about differences in anatomy as the origin of life making abilities. How did females come to have this ability?

I've been preparing for the "Where do babies come from?" discussion--not this! I tried reading up on the evolution of sexual reproduction, but can't seem to put it into words that a 6 year old would understand.

I nearly envy theists who can just say, "God made it that way."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-06-2013, 03:25 PM
RE: Beyond "Where do babies come from?" for freethinking children
Because we have super-powers! Big Grin

hmm... good question.

I have found a good book about how babies are made. Maybe there is something in it than can help you?

http://www.amazon.com/Its-So-Amazing-Fam...azing+baby

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
06-06-2013, 04:24 PM
Tell him "because human relationships are didactic and unipolar it is fitting for our species to have the labor of procreating a species divided up, this makes is survive better as a species as a group. This helps us physically and mentally mature."

Say that to him, kids understand more than you think.
08-06-2013, 06:31 PM
You don't necessarily need to go all the way back to the first instances of sexual reproduction...

"We are mammals just like monkeys, mice, cats, dogs and dolphins and we all reproduce this way because we all share a common ancestor who reproduced this way. There are animals like worms, certain plants, and very small (and even invisible) creatures that reproduce in other ways."

...If he understands anything about sex you can probably re-assure him that his role in the conception is still important (we just want to be involved Tongue ).

...and if you really want to blow the kids mind you can try explaining why Nemo's dad is really Nemo's mom Shocking

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-06-2013, 01:10 PM
They come from Morgan Freeman. Because every time he smiles, a newborn baby appears in a field of kittens.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
09-06-2013, 02:12 PM
(06-06-2013 11:49 AM)jessic3 Wrote:  He wanted to know why women are able to create and bear children when men cannot.

"Women can't create babies. Women carry babies because their bodies are built better for childbirth than men's bodies. Men help women create babies but since their bodies aren't built for childbirth, women do that part."

That should be understandable to a six year old.

If he asks why women are better suited, use those three little words that, to most parents seem to be Kryptonite... "I don't know".

Then maybe suggest to him that that would be a great thing for a scientist to find out and then ask him if he would like to be a scientist when he grows up.

By that time, his mind will be on science and he won't ask how the man helps.....

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
09-06-2013, 03:44 PM
"Women have developed specialized body parts that can hold a baby and help it grow. Men don't have these kinds of body parts. I'm not really sure why and neither are scientists but they are looking. Maybe we can go to the library to find some books on where people come from and find out what they know?"

I'd use it as an opportunity to encourage a yearning and love to learn. Every opportunity can be. Smile
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
09-06-2013, 04:18 PM
(09-06-2013 02:12 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  
(06-06-2013 11:49 AM)jessic3 Wrote:  He wanted to know why women are able to create and bear children when men cannot.

"Women can't create babies. Women carry babies because their bodies are built better for childbirth than men's bodies. Men help women create babies but since their bodies aren't built for childbirth, women do that part."

If he asks why women are better suited, use those three little words that, to most parents seem to be Kryptonite... "I don't know".

Then maybe suggest to him that that would be a great thing for a scientist to find out and then ask him if he would like to be a scientist when he grows up.

By that time, his mind will be on science and he won't ask how the man helps.....

But "I don't know" is a lie. Do you habitually lie to your children?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
09-06-2013, 05:43 PM
(09-06-2013 04:18 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(09-06-2013 02:12 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  "Women can't create babies. Women carry babies because their bodies are built better for childbirth than men's bodies. Men help women create babies but since their bodies aren't built for childbirth, women do that part."

But "I don't know" is a lie. Do you habitually lie to your children?

I have no idea why human beings aren't hermaphrodites. I know how we're not but not why.

Do you still support child abuse?

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
09-06-2013, 05:49 PM
(09-06-2013 05:43 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  
(09-06-2013 04:18 PM)Chas Wrote:  But "I don't know" is a lie. Do you habitually lie to your children?

I have no idea why human beings aren't hermaphrodites. I know how we're not but not why.

Do you still support child abuse?

You still haven't gone to fuck yourself.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]