Biased teacher

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-04-2011, 05:24 PM
Biased teacher
My english teacher is having us give a speech tomorrow on what we think makes a person good. She gave us examples of what a good person might be...

"Someone who helps the community"
"Someone who works hard to support their family"
"A faithful church goer"

Should I mention how Osama Bid Laden is a faithful Mosque goer (or at least likely was until he went into hiding) and therefore must be a good person? I'm certainly a little cheesed off that she thinks someone who is a faithful church goer is automatically a good person... considering, you know, people like Hitler and George Bush were devout Christians but I doubt people would call them "good people". I also wonder why she specified church and didn't say Mosque, Synagogue or Temple, or any of the other names for places of worship.

Fight the system,

~~~but don't mute the opposition!~~~
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes latvianxave8's post
11-04-2011, 05:37 PM
RE: Biased teacher
Hello there!

I think your point is valid my friend, but I would suggest you not tu use a Bin Laden analogy here, I think that could give them a justification to tell you that you are just trying to be antagonistic.

I think you can use less radical examples about the subject, like how a person judge another person, the double morality, hipocresy, etc. You can make your point by porbably mentioning about how secular societies are not perfect but they have their own ideas about morality and altruism. A good example is how secular countries like japanese people, they have a strong moral code, they respect their elders, etc.

"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world.”
-Georgia Harkness.

"La fe es patrimonio de los pendejos. (Faith is patrimony of the dumbfucks)."
-Diego Rivera
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-04-2011, 05:42 PM

Hm, you REALLY hate english, huh? Or are you not the guy that made a thread about rebelling in english class for shits and giggles?

Either way, I understand your frustration, but you're making a big deal out of nothing. Sure it was obviously bias, but it's nothing you can really bring separation of church and state over. This is an obvious representaton of the common mindset of Americans. Church going christians are still seen as the good, the representatives of the ideal american. It's annoying, but for now, it's how it is.

Edit: Apologies, the member i'm thinking of is Laxion.
Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2011, 06:18 PM
(11-04-2011 05:42 PM)Cdf50 Wrote:  Hm, you REALLY hate english, huh? Or are you not the guy that made a thread about rebelling in english class for shits and giggles?

Either way, I understand your frustration, but you're making a big deal out of nothing. Sure it was obviously bias, but it's nothing you can really bring separation of church and state over. This is an obvious representaton of the common mindset of Americans. Church going christians are still seen as the good, the representatives of the ideal american. It's annoying, but for now, it's how it is.

Edit: Apologies, the member i'm thinking of is Laxion.

I agree. Perhaps this person has had good experiences from people in a congregation they attend. This teacher may have been doing nothing more than thinking of someone in his/her mind as an example and describing them. I could give an example of a moral person who goes to church and one who does not, it is irrelevant and probably not the point of the assignment.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
11-04-2011, 10:24 PM
You could use "standing up for what is reasonable in the face of dissent" as what makes a person good. Then list a bunch of atheists who were persecuted for their beliefs.

A "good person" is about the most subjective term you could define. Even someone who helps their community and supports their family isn't necessarily good. What if after putting in time at the homeless shelter and helping his mom do some chores, Timmy rapes and beats one of his many underage slaves he keeps in the basement? (P.S. I haven't slept in a while)

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
11-04-2011, 11:22 PM
You could use the example of churchs based in maximum security prisons. I'm sure those guys are good and trustworthy...

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
12-04-2011, 06:55 AM
I wasn't there to hear it in context, but just from the way you present it here, I don't see an issue. She wasn't actually saying going to church will make you good. She was saying it's an example of what some could argue for. If the topic was "Give examples of delicious seafood" she might say you could talk about sardines, flounder, oysters or bluegill as examples. The fact that bluegill does not live in the sea doesn't mean somebody couldn't put it on their own personal list of seafood.
12-04-2011, 08:52 AM
Quote:My english teacher is having us give a speech tomorrow on what wewe think makes a person good. She gave us examples of what a good person might be...
Did she really say we instead of I. If she said ''we'', I think it's right to start discussing it if you want to, but if she said ''I'', then you have to remember that she's your English teacher, not your moral teacher or any other teacher.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
12-04-2011, 09:19 AM
This sounds like an innocuous enough comment and probably best to just let it go. I'm a very big believer in picking my battles and this is a battle you not only cannot win but will look very silly for even bringing it up.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
12-04-2011, 01:52 PM
You could use "someone who does not advocate their religious bias when giving assignments" as an example. That will get the message across. If you teacher is fairly intelligent she might get the point even if you leave out the last three words.

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you