Biased teacher

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-04-2011, 05:35 PM
RE: Biased teacher
"How does going to church faithfully make a person good?"

"Does the denomination of the church matter?"

I play CityVille, and I need you as my neighbor!
I need a job too, so that I can play CityVille less.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2011, 11:29 PM
(12-04-2011 05:35 PM)13mentaculus Wrote:  "How does going to church faithfully make a person good?"

"Does the denomination of the church matter?"

Not the denomination, but the peer pressure. Then leader(s) of the church have a huge influence on the congregation and if the leader(s) have a strong sense of morality the congregation is likely to follow suit. This puts peer pressure on everyone to act accordingly.

The danger with religion is this same leader imposed peer pressure can be used influence people to behave extremely badly.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
Find all posts by this user
13-04-2011, 12:25 PM
I almost agree with you No J, but not quite. What you are talking about is not peer pressure. The leader/minister/priest is not a peer to the members of congregation. He is an authority figure. Otherwise, I totally agree with you.

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
13-04-2011, 04:53 PM
I mentioned how people who don't do it for the money or person gain (lobbyists) are good people.

Decided to leave religion out because i am the only atheist in my class and it would start a revolt.

Fight the system,

~~~but don't mute the opposition!~~~
13-04-2011, 05:38 PM
(13-04-2011 04:53 PM)latvianxave8 Wrote:  I mentioned how people who don't do it for the money or person gain (lobbyists) are good people.

Decided to leave religion out because i am the only atheist in my class and it would start a revolt.

Good for you. I think you made a wise and mature decision.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
13-04-2011, 07:02 PM
That was perhaps the wisest thing to do.
I suppose you would have to be a quite confrontational person to try out some of the suggestions you got here. Tongue

13-04-2011, 07:34 PM
Good decision, I honestly can't say I would do the same, but I am somewhat antagonistic and slightly reckless as well. I bring up religion in almost every paper I write, because even if there is a prompt given on the bias of photography, there is always something theistic to include in there. Like what kind of picture a photographer would take of their own personal church versus one of a different denomination.
13-04-2011, 07:36 PM
Thanks guys Smile

Fight the system,

~~~but don't mute the opposition!~~~
13-04-2011, 10:19 PM
(13-04-2011 12:25 PM)Norseman Wrote:  I almost agree with you No J, but not quite. What you are talking about is not peer pressure. The leader/minister/priest is not a peer to the members of congregation. He is an authority figure. Otherwise, I totally agree with you.

You are right. The peer pressure, that I see, is a result of the most zealous in the congregation doing exactly what the leader says and expecting everyone to follow suit. So the authority figure sets the tune and the zealous dance to his/her tune and create a pressure that dominates everyone else.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
13-04-2011, 10:36 PM
I see. point taken. I suppose the two types of pressure could go hand in hand. Those don't cave in to one might might do to the other.