Bible Archeology

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-01-2017, 08:45 AM
RE: Bible Archeology
No such thing as "Bible Archeology", theologians can try to use the science of archeology but that is simply trying to retrofit science to old mythology. Archeology is reporting findings, not a sales pitch.

Any holy person or "scholar" with a degree in religion, ANY RELIGION trying to convince you their club and or deity is the one true religion, is not an objective person, they are a salesperson.

"Biblical Theologian" is the same as a "Koran Theologian" is the same as a "Torah/Talmud" theologian, is the same as a "Buddhist Theologian" is the same as a "Veda Hindu Theologian".

Objective Historians and or archeologists never tell you what to believe, they simply report what they find.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Brian37's post
16-01-2017, 08:48 AM
(16-01-2017 08:43 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  Besides, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Not if the hands are missing Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
16-01-2017, 01:53 PM
(16-01-2017 07:58 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(16-01-2017 07:53 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  It's called Google. Use it.

I was all set to chirp him too, but apart from Wikipedia most of the other links when googling "battle of jericho archaeological evidence" are by the faithful, for the faithful.

But yeah, OP, google is a thing. Learn it.

Yeah, it just seems like it's a theme with this poster.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like WillHopp's post
17-01-2017, 10:37 AM
I actually do some research before hand although it probably seems like I did little 2 nothing. This has more 2 to do with my lazyness to write it down in these messages.in truth i simply wish to be careful with the clear christian trap websites.
17-01-2017, 10:46 AM
When you're looking for corroborating evidence in the xtian bible to give it credence as an accurate account of history --- it's important to remember that the goatherders who wrote the damned thing thought they were living on a flat plane object, immobile with the universe surrounding it, and the sun and moon revolving around it.

When you're that far off base to start with -- pretty much everything else in it can also assumed to be bullshit.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
01-03-2017, 03:47 PM
As someone who only in the last 3 years stopped going to church and went for almost 40 years, I can tell you from experience that much of what is told to the members is pretty much just repeating over and over the same lines without ever showing what is being claimed is true.

The whole "archeology proves the Bible" narrative I heard since I was a kid, and like everything else, it's usually 1 or 2 things shown that somehow proves everything is true. I was told "everything" about the Exodus has been proven by archelogy and all the major stories of the OT were as well, and the "proof" given was basically that they found actual places like Sodom and Jericho and some stuff that shows there was a king named David. They most certainly take the naive view that just because someone is proven to have existed with said name that it means all the Bible says about them is 100% true.

In one of the final Bible classes I went to, the entire class was about how we should believe "God over man" (i.e. believe the Bible over anything else cuz it's true!). By that time I admit I had pretty much decided I was done with this stuff but decided maybe this class would help. The gist of this particular class session was basically "Choose faith over sight, even though the evidence also proves the Bible". So I decided to ask how we know the Bible is true, and the teacher (who up until that point I thought knew what the hell he was talking about) proceeded to repeat the lines about we know it's true because we have "15,000 copies (or whatever the number is) of the Bible from a long time ago and that's more than other ancient works (I'm paraphrasing). He said it all like he was hitting a home run but I raised my hand again and said "Ok well that proves we have a lot of copies of it and so that proves a lot of people wrote it down, but how do we actually know the stuff happened and not that it was just repeated a lot". He got rather annoyed quickly and just threw out "Well there's plenty of other evidence to back it up" but never actually gave anymore evidence.

And after that I realized my whole life 99% of what I was told about how things were proved were just people repeating that the evidence existed, not any actual evidence, or at best circumstanial evidence. Just the same as when creationists and fundies start spouting how science has "proven" evolution is false and that creation is true. I had to go out on my own to find out things like yeah....the Jews were never enslaved in Egypt, there was no Exodus, there is no geological evidence of a global flood and in fact science has proven it could NOT have happened, and my favorite that all those extra Biblical sources that "prove" Jesus was real are extremely underwelming when you actually read them yourself. I mean Josephus is like an ace up their sleeve, they think it's some kind of mic drop.
[+] 4 users Like ResidentEvilFan's post
01-03-2017, 05:26 PM
(16-01-2017 07:51 AM)sneroul the thinker Wrote:  I came across quite a phew christians who said that there are lots of archeological evidence that the events happened. Now i try to be skeptical when i read these things so wish to ask you what events really happened. for example i heard the battle of jericho happened like it was told in the bible. Now I wish to know if you have Archeological evidence for or against the bibles tales wise.

The bible claims the Israelites destroyed 16 cities. Only 10 of the 16 have been located and identified.

Of those 10 cities that were located and identified, only 3 of the 10 showed any signs of destruction, but the evidence of destruction also shows that the Israelites did not do it.

For one of those cities, and I'm sorry I don't remember specifically which one (it is either Beth-el, Hazor or Lachish) the evidence circumstantially weighs in favor of the Israelites.

Of the remaining 7 cities, none of them were destroyed, and three of them were not even inhabited (Ai, Gibeon and most embarrassingly Jericho). The sad thing is that it doesn't matter whether you accept the early date or the late date for the Exodus, those cities were simply not inhabited during that time period.

The enemy numbered six hundred - including women and children - and we abolished them utterly, leaving not even a baby alive to cry for its dead mother. This is incomparably the greatest victory that was ever achieved by the Christian soldiers of the United States. -- Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes Mircea's post
01-03-2017, 05:32 PM
Quote:All been debunked ... Jericho especially.

Right.

Quote:As archaeologist Bill Dever says, “if you want a miracle, here’s your miracle: Joshua destroyed a city that wasn’t even there.”

The same is true for a lot of the other sites named in the so-called "Conquest" myth. Ai was abandoned from about 2,200 BC to the Iron Age.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
01-03-2017, 06:49 PM
Nothing gets my dander up more than the Exodus story and "evidence" of chariot wheels found in the Red Sea. Holy cow. What a bunch of malarky.

Here's a photo of one of the heavy metal "wheels" from a video documentaries that "proves" the exodus happened. The guy who made this profound discovery is Ron Wyatt. Remember that name.

[Image: chariot-wheel.jpg]

Here's a great PBS NOVA documentary on how the Egyptians always made chariot wheels out of wood because anything heavier , like metal, would sink in the Egyptian sands and simply not roll.

The Red Sea us strewn with hundreds of sunken ships, boats, airplanes, bicycles, army tanks, cars, motorcycles, there's even a train down there. The large sunken ships on the bottom of the Red Sea is a deep sea diving destination for those who love to explore such things. Here's a random photo of a modern ship valve looking remarkably similar to Wyatt's "chariot wheel". Laughat

This happens to have 6 spokes on it but there are 4 spoked valves too.

[Image: stock-photo-steam-valve-from-an-old-ship...586786.jpg]

Here's an old sunken ship in the Red Sea.

[Image: giannis-d-shipwreck-red-sea.jpg]

Just for fun, here's a Russian ship being pulled up from the bottom of the Red Sea.

[Image: 34988751-Sunken-Russian-ship-Near-the-is...-Photo.jpg]

Even more fun, here's an army tank in the Red Sea.

[Image: 3363E7FE00000578-3551370-A_diver_is_surr...894526.jpg]

Back to Ron Wyatt. He's one of the main people Christians point to as an "archaeologist" who proved the Exodus happened. They guy was a respiratory nurse and had zero training in archaeology. He barely knew how to spell the word. Funny that he never brought up any of his "evidence" for peer review. He simply takes a photo of it, comes up to the surface and proclaims it a chariot wheel. What a moron. He's dead now but his work was so shoddy and god awful that even Creationist web sites are telling it's believers to not use him as a credible source. But they ignore it and believe Wyatt anyway. It drives me nuts.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
02-03-2017, 06:34 AM
(16-01-2017 07:51 AM)sneroul the thinker Wrote:  I came across quite a phew christians who said that there are lots of archeological evidence that the events happened. Now i try to be skeptical when i read these things so wish to ask you what events really happened. for example i heard the battle of jericho happened like it was told in the bible. Now I wish to know if you have Archeological evidence for or against the bibles tales wise.
There are some simple questions that would give one hesitation to believe that the myth of Exodus actually happened-

What if the entire Nile river was turned to blood? Wouldn't there be some evidence of everything in a 4258 mile/6853 Km long river dying?

What if the firstborn of every man and animal in Egypt were slain in one night. Wouldn't we find some type remains all dating from the same time? Wouldn't we find something in the records of Egypt about this?

To further undercut the biblical narrative, look up the time of the Tower of Babel was supposed to take place, apologist sites put it around 1800-2200 B.C.E.

Is there evidence that multiple languages existed before then? Oh yeah, a ton of evidence. This is one of those places in the bible that shows very clearly that the writers had no clue as to what they were talking about.

Look at Genesis chapter 10 where it gives the city building lists of Asshur (Noah's grandson) and Nimrod (Noah's great grandson). Track when these cities were built and by whom. The lists have cities that were founded over 4000 years apart!

Nineveh had it's first settlements in 6000 B.C. Laugh out loadLaugh out load

Imagine the first inhabitants of Nineveh's surprise at seeing the Earth being created 2000 years after it was first settled! Laugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out load

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 4 users Like TheInquisition's post