Bible Belt Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-03-2016, 12:56 PM
Bible Belt Atheist
Hello everyone! First, I just wanted to say I'm very thankful to be apart of this
[align=right] I'm on here because recently I've secretly left Christianity because the more I read the Bible the more I realize it's a bunch of fairy tales. Although I'm still stuck between atheism and deism so I would say I'm currently an agnostic, but reading The God delusion will probably change that.

[align=right] Anyway I'm a 17 year old high school Junior who lives in the Bible Belt of the US. I used to basically be a fundamentalist Christian and I believed the bible word for word. This lead me to going extremely far in my influence on the community. I have been preaching sermons at church youth services for a year now and I am currently the leader of FCA( fellowship of Christian athletes) at my high school. My parents are very religious( my dad is a pastor). I don't know what to do and any advice from you all on how to either come out of the closet or better ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-03-2016, 01:00 PM
RE: Bible Belt Atheist
Welcome! Smile

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
05-03-2016, 01:02 PM
(05-03-2016 01:00 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Welcome! Smile

Thank you!
[+] 1 user Likes goldenarm's post
05-03-2016, 01:02 PM
(05-03-2016 12:56 PM)goldenarm Wrote:  
Hello everyone! First, I just wanted to say I'm very thankful to be apart of this
[align=right] I'm on here because recently I've secretly left Christianity because the more I read the Bible the more I realize it's a bunch of fairy tales. Although I'm still stuck between atheism and deism so I would say I'm currently an agnostic, but reading The God delusion will probably change that.

[align=right] Anyway I'm a 17 year old high school Junior who lives in the Bible Belt of the US. I used to basically be a fundamentalist Christian and I believed the bible word for word. This lead me to going extremely far in my influence on the community. I have been preaching sermons at church youth services for a year now and I am currently the leader of FCA( fellowship of Christian athletes) at my high school. My parents are very religious( my dad is a pastor). I don't know what to do and any advice from you all on how to either come out of the closet or better ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Start your own megachurch and fleece the flock. That's what all the other atheist preachers do. ... Except for the HellboundPreacher. He didn't have the stomach for it.

#sigh
05-03-2016, 01:04 PM

Welcome.

If you came out - what would be the result?

Please make a list so that we can see, point and talk about it.

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
[+] 1 user Likes god has no twitter account's post
05-03-2016, 01:07 PM
Welcome, think of what the worst case scenario would be if you came out to your family and friends. Decide if you're willing to go through that right now.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
05-03-2016, 01:08 PM
(05-03-2016 01:04 PM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  

Welcome.

Sorry I'm new to this if there are any errors lol but:
1.) Honeslty my parents would freak out and would be expect it. Potentially even losing my car.
2.) I may or may not lose a few friends
3.) People would probably think the devil got ahold of me and would condemn me, etc.

I know coming out right now wouldn't be the best idea, but I don't want to preach on something I no longer believe in.
05-03-2016, 01:10 PM
(05-03-2016 01:07 PM)pablo Wrote:  Welcome, think of what the worst case scenario would be if you came out to your family and friends. Decide if you're willing to go through that right now.

Yea good point. I don't think I would be ready. If it wasn't for the preaching thing I've set myself up to do, then it wouldn't bother me as much.
05-03-2016, 01:12 PM
(05-03-2016 01:08 PM)goldenarm Wrote:  
(05-03-2016 01:04 PM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  Welcome.

Sorry I'm new to this if there are any errors lol but:
1.) Honeslty my parents would freak out and would be expect it. Potentially even losing my car.
3.) People would probably think the devil got ahold of me and would condemn me, etc.

I know coming out right now wouldn't be the best idea, but I don't want to preach on something I no longer believe in.

I think given your present living situation, it would be best to wait until you get out on your own. You can still be an atheist without shouting it from the rooftops. I understand you no longer wanting to preach, what if you took up some type of volunteering that infringed on the preaching time? Clearly, your parents would also be happy with you going out and helping others--especially if they follow the WWJD mentality.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
05-03-2016, 01:15 PM
(05-03-2016 01:12 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(05-03-2016 01:08 PM)goldenarm Wrote:  Sorry I'm new to this if there are any errors lol but:

I think given your present living situation, it would be best to wait until you get out on your own. You can still be an atheist without shouting it from the rooftops. I understand you no longer wanting to preach, what if you took up some type of volunteering that infringed on the preaching time? Clearly, your parents would also be happy with you going out and helping others--especially if they follow the WWJD mentality.

Great idea! Thanks. Yea I think I could do that and tell them I want to read my bible more and understand it(which I due for arguments sake). On the other hand I still have FCA and I have to give messages there every Friday before school.
[+] 1 user Likes goldenarm's post