Bible Belt Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-03-2016, 01:16 PM
RE: Bible Belt Atheist
(05-03-2016 01:08 PM)goldenarm Wrote:  
(05-03-2016 01:04 PM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  Welcome.

If you came out - what would be the result?

Please make a list so that we can see, point and talk about it.

Sorry I'm new to this if there are any errors lol but:
1.) Honeslty my parents would freak out and would be expect it. Potentially even losing my car.
2.) I may or may not lose a few friends
3.) People would probably think the devil got ahold of me and would condemn me, etc.

I know coming out right now wouldn't be the best idea, but I don't want to preach on something I no longer believe in.

I'm playing devil's advocate here.

Please define 'My parents would freak out'. What would they actually do and say?

When you say you would lose a few friends, please define who you would probably lose, who you would probably not lose and who are you not sure about.

When you say that people would think that the devil got hold of you and would condemn you, how would it affect you precisely?

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-03-2016, 01:25 PM
(05-03-2016 01:16 PM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  
(05-03-2016 01:08 PM)goldenarm Wrote:  Sorry I'm new to this if there are any errors lol but:
1.) Honeslty my parents would freak out and would be expect it. Potentially even losing my car.
2.) I may or may not lose a few friends
3.) People would probably think the devil got ahold of me and would condemn me, etc.

I know coming out right now wouldn't be the best idea, but I don't want to preach on something I no longer believe in.

I'm playing devil's advocate here.

Please define 'My parents would freak out'. What would they actually do and say?

When you say you would lose a few friends, please define who you would probably lose, who you would probably not lose and who are you not sure about.

When you say that people would think that the devil got hold of you and would condemn you, how would it affect you precisely?

1.) My mother would probably be very sad and my dad too just less emotional. I think they would feel like they failed parenting their kids(which they haven't because I still have morals). There could also potentially be some anger in there by my parents because they may think I'm trying to rebel and I could lose privileges like my car.

2.) I could lose one of my best friends who is 18 and he preaches with me at the same youth service. We take turns once every two months. I could also lose some of my other church teenage friends. I don't think I would lose my other good friends who attend church, but aren't really that religious. I'm not sure about the average friends I have.

3.) I think people calling me a devil, etc. would amuse me with people I'm not as close to. But close family members would look at me like I'm a bad guy now and that could hurt my feelings.

" That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens
05-03-2016, 01:35 PM
(05-03-2016 01:15 PM)goldenarm Wrote:  
(05-03-2016 01:12 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I think given your present living situation, it would be best to wait until you get out on your own. You can still be an atheist without shouting it from the rooftops. I understand you no longer wanting to preach, what if you took up some type of volunteering that infringed on the preaching time? Clearly, your parents would also be happy with you going out and helping others--especially if they follow the WWJD mentality.

Great idea! Thanks. Yea I think I could do that and tell them I want to read my bible more and understand it(which I due for arguments sake). On the other hand I still have FCA and I have to give messages there every Friday before school.

You could also tell them that volunteering looks great on college applications and will also provide you with some real life experience for the job market.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
05-03-2016, 01:37 PM
(05-03-2016 01:25 PM)goldenarm Wrote:  
(05-03-2016 01:16 PM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  I'm playing devil's advocate here.

1.) My mother would probably be very sad and my dad too just less emotional. I think they would feel like they failed parenting their kids(which they haven't because I still have morals). There could also potentially be some anger in there by my parents because they may think I'm trying to rebel and I could lose privileges like my car.

2.) I could lose one of my best friends who is 18 and he preaches with me at the same youth service. We take turns once every two months. I could also lose some of my other church teenage friends. I don't think I would lose my other good friends who attend church, but aren't really that religious. I'm not sure about the average friends I have.

3.) I think people calling me a devil, etc. would amuse me with people I'm not as close to. But close family members would look at me like I'm a bad guy now and that could hurt my feelings.
Ok. Now let's think about your parents because this is going to affect them.

How will the community react to your mom when they find out that you are in league with the devil? How is that going to make your mom feel? How is this going to make you feel?

How will the community react to your father when they find out that you are in league with the devil? How is that going to make your dad feel? How is this going to make you feel?

Will your parents punish you?

If so, how?

How will this make you feel?

What if your parent react far more worse than you expect. Suppose they ask you to leave the family home. Now what?

How would you feel if you lost most/all of your friends?

If close family members and close friends alienated you, how would you feel?

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
05-03-2016, 01:37 PM
(05-03-2016 01:35 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(05-03-2016 01:15 PM)goldenarm Wrote:  Great idea! Thanks. Yea I think I could do that and tell them I want to read my bible more and understand it(which I due for arguments sake). On the other hand I still have FCA and I have to give messages there every Friday before school.

You could also tell them that volunteering looks great on college applications and will also provide you with some real life experience for the job market.

Okay I can definitely try that!

" That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens
05-03-2016, 01:43 PM (This post was last modified: 05-03-2016 01:47 PM by goldenarm.)
(05-03-2016 01:37 PM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  
(05-03-2016 01:25 PM)goldenarm Wrote:  1.) My mother would probably be very sad and my dad too just less emotional. I think they would feel like they failed parenting their kids(which they haven't because I still have morals). There could also potentially be some anger in there by my parents because they may think I'm trying to rebel and I could lose privileges like my car.

Ok. Now let's think about your parents because this is going to affect them.

How will the community react to your mom when they find out that you are in league with the devil? How is that going to make your mom feel? How is this going to make you feel?

How will the community react to your father when they find out that you are in league with the devil? How is that going to make your dad feel? How is this going to make you feel?

If so, how?

What if your parent react far more worse than you expect. Suppose they ask you to leave the family home. Now what?

Yea you make great points. I definitely should play it safe and not come out. At least while I'm in high school. I'm almost 18 and they definitely could kick me out. In response to how it could affect my parents I say bad. They would get a lot of questions and criticism about me causing them stress. I never thought of that. I can remember recently them telling people how proud they were of me and my work for the Lord, etc. so yea I definitely don't need to come out lol. I could possibly get depressed even everyone shunned me. If I lost close friends I would feel isolated. I wouldn't know how to handle these situations and if I got kicked out, then there goes college.

05-03-2016, 01:44 PM
Welcome.

Unforcanitly it sounds like you stuck in a bit of a situation. The only advice that can be given is ride it out. Until you move out of your parents place. Once your 18 you get a little more say as far as the law is concerned.

For now you can vent to the forum. People have gone or are going threw simaler situations as you. And we will do what we can to keep you sain.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
05-03-2016, 01:53 PM
(05-03-2016 01:43 PM)goldenarm Wrote:  
(05-03-2016 01:37 PM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  Ok. Now let's think about your parents because this is going to affect them.

If so, how?

Yea you make great points. I definitely should play it safe and not come out. At least while I'm in high school. I'm almost 18 and they definitely could kick me out. In response to how it could affect my parents I say bad. They would get a lot of questions and criticism about me causing them stress. I never thought of that. I can remember recently them telling people how proud they were of me and my work for the Lord, etc. so yea I definitely don't need to come out lol.

I didn't tell you what to do or what not to do. I didn't even make any suggestions. I didn't suggest what would or wouldn't happen. I know little about you, your family or your situation. I therefore cannot give advice. All I did was to ask you a bunch of questions is all.

Whatever you do, you make the decisions because you, alone, will have to live with the consequences - not me nor any of the others that answered your call for help.

Whatever you decide - luck.

The big, bad, evil atheists.

05-03-2016, 01:55 PM
(05-03-2016 01:53 PM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  
(05-03-2016 01:43 PM)goldenarm Wrote:  Yea you make great points. I definitely should play it safe and not come out. At least while I'm in high school. I'm almost 18 and they definitely could kick me out. In response to how it could affect my parents I say bad. They would get a lot of questions and criticism about me causing them stress. I never thought of that. I can remember recently them telling people how proud they were of me and my work for the Lord, etc. so yea I definitely don't need to come out lol.

I didn't tell you what to do or what not to do. I didn't even make any suggestions. I didn't suggest what would or wouldn't happen. I know little about you, your family or your situation. I therefore cannot give advice. All I did was to ask you a bunch of questions is all.

Whatever you do, you make the decisions because you, alone, will have to live with the consequences - not me nor any of the others that answered your call for help.

Whatever you decide - luck.

The big, bad, evil atheists.

Yes I know! But the questions have got me thinking a little haha! Thank you

05-03-2016, 02:02 PM (This post was last modified: 05-03-2016 02:17 PM by GirlyMan.)
(05-03-2016 12:56 PM)goldenarm Wrote:  My parents are very religious( my dad is a pastor). I don't know what to do and any advice from you all on how to either come out of the closet or better ideas would be greatly appreciated!

I never challenged my parents' or grandparents' Christianity by saying I was an atheist. I was a couple of years younger than you when I told them I am a pretheist. It is premature to discuss God until we address the elephant in the room. Any promise of a postmortem preservation of personal identity identity is completely untenable. There is no plausible mechanism of action for dualism. Many have tried. All have failed. I'm not sure they followed what I was saying but they certainly didn't ostracize me. My dear old mum is still praying for my sorry soul 40 years later. God bless her.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus