Bible Belt Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-03-2016, 02:03 PM
RE: Bible Belt Atheist
(05-03-2016 01:55 PM)goldenarm Wrote:  
(05-03-2016 01:53 PM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  I didn't tell you what to do or what not to do. I didn't even make any suggestions. I didn't suggest what would or wouldn't happen. I know little about you, your family or your situation. I therefore cannot give advice. All I did was to ask you a bunch of questions is all.

Whatever you do, you make the decisions because you, alone, will have to live with the consequences - not me nor any of the others that answered your call for help.

Whatever you decide - luck.

The big, bad, evil atheists.

Yes I know! But the questions have got me thinking a little haha! Thank you

There'll be someone here on this forum when needed in the future.

Even though they are evil atheists.Big Grin, they are a great bunch of sensible people.

If you need us in future - we are here.

Take care you.

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-03-2016, 02:04 PM
(05-03-2016 02:03 PM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  
(05-03-2016 01:55 PM)goldenarm Wrote:  Yes I know! But the questions have got me thinking a little haha! Thank you

There'll be someone here on this forum when needed in the future.

Even though they are evil atheists.Big Grin, they are a great bunch of sensible people.

If you need us in future - we are here.

Take care you.

Ok great! I really appreciate it

" That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens
05-03-2016, 02:08 PM
(05-03-2016 01:44 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Welcome.

Unforcanitly it sounds like you stuck in a bit of a situation. The only advice that can be given is ride it out. Until you move out of your parents place. Once your 18 you get a little more say as far as the law is concerned.

For now you can vent to the forum. People have gone or are going threw simaler situations as you. And we will do what we can to keep you sain.

Thanks! Will do.

" That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens
05-03-2016, 02:19 PM
Hi goldenarm,
I'm stuck in the Bible belt along with you. I'm despised twice as much as usual because I am not only an Atheist, (gasp), but I am a recovered born again Christian. I live in Tennessee. I have a "Darwin" fish on my car, (I just couldn't resist) and you should see the looks I get while stopped at red lights.Hobo
It gets a bit lonely when you are the only Atheist you know but, I carry on.
Turning your back on superstitions and crap that has been drummed into your head since birth is not an easy thing to do. Good luck.
05-03-2016, 02:24 PM (This post was last modified: 05-03-2016 02:28 PM by goldenarm.)
(05-03-2016 02:19 PM)Lost the Faith Wrote:  Hi goldenarm,
I'm stuck in the Bible belt along with you. I'm despised twice as much as usual because I am not only an Atheist, (gasp), but I am a recovered born again Christian. I live in Tennessee. I have a "Darwin" fish on my car, (I just couldn't resist) and you should see the looks I get while stopped at red lights.Hobo
Turning your back on superstitions and crap that has been drummed into your head since birth is not an easy thing to do. Good luck.

Thank you. Yes it must be tough once you come out. Maybe the superstition will continue to die out in the area in the net few years. Also would like to see the looks you get haha!

05-03-2016, 02:28 PM
(05-03-2016 02:19 PM)Lost the Faith Wrote:  Hi goldenarm,

You should put a Darwin fish sticker and a Jesus fish sticker on your car just for shits and giggles. Big Grin

[Image: jesus.gif]

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
05-03-2016, 04:53 PM
You know, you don't HAVE to come out, right?

I 'm not in the Bible belt, and "coming out" wouldn't really affect me much, except that I live with my 94-year-old mother, who would be devastated if she found out that I am an atheist. So I go to church with her and I'll come out when she's no longer with us.

Atheism isn't a religion: there's no need to shout it from the mountain if you don't want to, no need to evangelize either.
Perhaps you can focus on "good works" for their own sake: that way, when you do come out to your family (when you're out on your own), you may just reverse their ideas of how "immoral" atheists are, and confirm that they did, indeed, raise you well.
Good luck!

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
[+] 1 user Likes Reducetarian's post
05-03-2016, 04:57 PM
(05-03-2016 04:53 PM)Reducetarian Wrote:  You know, you don't HAVE to come out, right?

I 'm not in the Bible belt, and "coming out" wouldn't really affect me much, except that I live with my 94-year-old mother, who would be devastated if she found out that I am an atheist. So I go to church with her and I'll come out when she's no longer with us.

Atheism isn't a religion: there's no need to shout it from the mountain if you don't want to, no need to evangelize either.
Perhaps you can focus on "good works" for their own sake: that way, when you do come out to your family (when you're out on your own), you may just reverse their ideas of how "immoral" atheists are, and confirm that they did, indeed, raise you well.
Good luck!
Thank you! That was a great answer. I see where you're coming from and yes coming out later could have a much better effect if I do come out at all. I guess for me I see how religion has harmed a lot of people and it gives false hope, messes with your mind, etc. and I've been looking up new atheism. But saying all that, the fact I don't have to come out is a good point.

[+] 1 user Likes goldenarm's post
06-03-2016, 10:57 AM
Just stop going to church. If anyone asks why, tell them that you've been reassigned to custodial duties aboard the mothership on Sunday mornings. They'll never ask again, I promise. Big Grin

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
06-03-2016, 11:21 AM
(05-03-2016 01:10 PM)goldenarm Wrote:  
(05-03-2016 01:07 PM)pablo Wrote:  Welcome, think of what the worst case scenario would be if you came out to your family and friends. Decide if you're willing to go through that right now.

Yea good point. I don't think I would be ready. If it wasn't for the preaching thing I've set myself up to do, then it wouldn't bother me as much.

I would say work a little bit of truth into your sermons. Quote Babble verses not usually quoted and go for it, but be ready to defend yourself and keep your sermon notes close, because there will be those who say that that is not from the Babble. When attacked be cool, "isn't that what it says Dad?" etc...
[+] 1 user Likes DerFish's post