Bible Belt Atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-06-2016, 12:48 PM
RE: Bible Belt Atheists
(26-03-2016 07:23 AM)Lost the Faith Wrote:  I never tell anyone that I'm an Atheist until I get to know them pretty well but, more important to me is that they get to know ME!
When I tell them it's always the same response..."But Steve, your such a good guy"!!!

Ain't it funny how that works? I've had several people be surpised when they learnt I don't believe. I like showing folks that atheists aren't necessarily angry jackasses.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
20-06-2016, 01:58 PM
(20-06-2016 12:34 PM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  I have to ask. You are 16 years old in the bible belt. You have as I imagine it always been surrounded by people who sincerely believe. Everyone from your parents and teachers to the other kids you grew up with. How exactly did you manage to pull yourself out and become an atheist? I have to give you credit. Most people never pull themselves out of it, as I am sure you have seen.

I was one of the few "modle kids" for a while, actually. Then I did what almost no one ever does. I actually read the friggin Bible. I did as was suggested. I took it literally. Just not their "literally". Most people my age don't seem to understand it. Which leads in part, I think, to their religious indoctrination.

In the words of Penn Jillette, ".... Put the Bible on your summer reading list. Not because it teaches history. We've already shown it dosent. Read it because we need more atheists, and nothing will get you their faster than reading the damn Bible."

I are teh Kong erve te Mewountarns arve Abesirdieity. Al erve dem degeahns sher bert B-4 may. Ivre yarp yurndarctood zert, garve yarpelf r cerrcay. Translation: I am the Kong of the Mountains of Absurdity. All of the dragons shall bow before me. If you understood this(that^, not this) then give a Sear Key.
[+] 3 users Like The Random One's post
12-08-2016, 09:47 AM
I'm smack dab in the middle of the Bible Belt, and only my wife knows right now. Some of her friends that aren't religious I've been pretty open about it, and I've told some co-workers that I don't really go to church, but that's about it.
[+] 1 user Likes ResidentEvilFan's post
27-08-2016, 03:56 PM
Bible Belt Atheists
I, too, am in the middle of the Bible Belt. Tulsa, in fact. I work on the campus of Oral Roberts University. It's maddening and awesome to be one of a few who embrace reason. I'm in the closet, yes. But enjoying my "Pagan reasoned" life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
27-08-2016, 06:38 PM
I live in Georgia. A church on every corner here in the csra. I'm planning on moving to Atlanta since this place is washed of all types of alternative culture.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
07-09-2016, 11:03 PM
The Bible Belt. What does that really mean? Well, let me tell ya it has nothing to do with supporting your britches. The folks here in Alabama are probably the most brainwashed, holier than thou folks I've ever met in my life and I've lived in a lot of places. There is no function public or private that is not started or ended in a prayer. Needless to say it is a struggle to live here. Especially when you do not have the same beliefs of those around you. My wife understands me and has the same beliefs as I do but her family is another story. I have to hold my thoughts when around them just to avoid conflict.

One man in the community went so far as to try and stop prayer at school functions. He received death threads. Threats to burn his house down, constant harassment at his home, and ultimately he had to move. One night at a ball game the announcer went as far as asking all to stand who support prayer in school. Then started a prayer anyway even though the school board didn't want him to until all the legal stuff was taken care of. Unbelievable but not totally unexpected in this region.

I know not how long I can hold my tongue. These jesus freaks enrage me more and more everyday. The other day the old JW's showed up at my door. I let them rattle on with their message for a few minutes and then cut them off and informed them that I am an atheist. Their mouths flew open and a moaning OOooohhhh came out along with a we're so sorry to hear that. I quickly informed them to not feel sorry for me just because they believe in fairy tales and I choose not to. Have a nice day and don't pray for me. There's just no hope.
[+] 3 users Like greenmonster714's post
08-09-2016, 01:16 AM
(27-08-2016 03:56 PM)onedream Wrote:  I, too, am in the middle of the Bible Belt. Tulsa, in fact. I work on the campus of Oral Roberts University. It's maddening and awesome to be one of a few who embrace reason. I'm in the closet, yes. But enjoying my "Pagan reasoned" life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ORU? You should get a kick out of this then. Big Grin

DR. WILLIAM MORGAN: To the Mountaintop and Down: A True Believer's Journey from Faith to Agnosticism

On July 30th, 2011, the Atheist Community of Tulsa held a one-day event at All Souls Unitarian Church (yes...a church). Speakers included Dr. William Morgan, biologist Abbie Smith, The Thinking Atheist, AronRa and Matt Dillahunty.

The first speaker, Bill Morgan, has an M.A. in Political Science and Ph.D in History from the University of Southern California. In 1965, Dr. Morgan was appointed to the founding faculty of Oral Roberts University and rose from Instructor to Professor of History in 1973. He was a true believer.

Now an agnostic and private businessman, Dr. Morgan speaks about his experiences at ORU and his journey out of superstition into reason.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
14-09-2016, 06:11 AM
I am a New Englander. I can't imagine what living in the Bible Belt would be like. Or even any other area of America. My sense is that it must be intolerable to have to have Christianity thrown at you every day. All we have to do here is watch the National news to see what these zealots are like
[+] 1 user Likes Ari's post
14-09-2016, 06:58 AM
Q
(14-09-2016 06:11 AM)Ari Wrote:  I am a New Englander. I can't imagine what living in the Bible Belt would be like. Or even any other area of America. My sense is that it must be intolerable to have to have Christianity thrown at you every day. All we have to do here is watch the National news to see what these zealots are like

I live in St. Louis, MO. The number of mega churches is quite high, I think. But most people here, like most Americans, are religious when they're in church. The vocal minority are as loud here as they were in California when I lived there. You see more billboards "Our Lady of Guadalope, Queen of all the Americas", etc., but who looks at billboards?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-09-2016, 07:49 AM
I'm in georgia, also. My little town has a stop sign, bank, cemetery and two little churches. While the residents are not preachy or overtly aggressive towards my family there is an implied complicity that we will eventually join one of the churches and come to our sences. It's subtle but strains the limits of my better nature at times. Small town mindsets can be limited. I must never forget where I live...Georg-UH. ::grins::