Bible Belt Atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-09-2016, 09:34 AM
RE: Bible Belt Atheists
(14-09-2016 06:11 AM)Ari Wrote:  I am a New Englander. I can't imagine what living in the Bible Belt would be like. Or even any other area of America. My sense is that it must be intolerable to have to have Christianity thrown at you every day. All we have to do here is watch the National news to see what these zealots are like

If the Midwest through the South is America's Bible Belt, then New England is sort of its Atheist Tophat.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-09-2016, 05:24 PM
I live in a small town deep in the Bible Belt. There are literally THREE churches within walking distance from my house. Oh, and religious bumper stickers on just about every car. And a massive bus from the nearest Baptist church that drives past my house a lot. Plus both my parents are Catholic, and the rest of my family is deeply religious as well(Catholic or Protestant/Baptist mostly). It's pretty crazy. Thank god(wait Dodgy ) for online community.

all hail the mighty glow cloud
18-10-2016, 05:21 PM
Bible Belt Atheists
(08-09-2016 01:16 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(27-08-2016 03:56 PM)onedream Wrote:  I, too, am in the middle of the Bible Belt. Tulsa, in fact. I work on the campus of Oral Roberts University. It's maddening and awesome to be one of a few who embrace reason. I'm in the closet, yes. But enjoying my "Pagan reasoned" life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ORU? You should get a kick out of this then. Big Grin

DR. WILLIAM MORGAN: To the Mountaintop and Down: A True Believer's Journey from Faith to Agnosticism

On July 30th, 2011, the Atheist Community of Tulsa held a one-day event at All Souls Unitarian Church (yes...a church). Speakers included Dr. William Morgan, biologist Abbie Smith, The Thinking Atheist, AronRa and Matt Dillahunty.

The first speaker, Bill Morgan, has an M.A. in Political Science and Ph.D in History from the University of Southern California. In 1965, Dr. Morgan was appointed to the founding faculty of Oral Roberts University and rose from Instructor to Professor of History in 1973. He was a true believer.

Now an agnostic and private businessman, Dr. Morgan speaks about his experiences at ORU and his journey out of superstition into reason.

I saw that when Seth Released it. Great speech.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
19-10-2016, 05:25 AM
The religious are usually very much hypocrites. As I said in ranting corner, my house burned down. just over a week ago. On the one side of my house, we have hard core republican Christians and I am reasonably sure they are happy to have my wife and I gone. The woman has said to let her know if we need anything, but I tend to think she is just being nosey. She keeps asking probing questions. The other side we have neighbors that are atheists. They let us, the firefighters, police, and whoever else come and go from their house the entire time. The reason the neighbors on that side were home when it happened instead of at work, was she had that day donated a kidney to a co-worker. Not a relative, a co-worker. I hate to sound stuck up, but I think atheists are just better. Well, at least most of the time anyway.
19-10-2016, 09:59 AM
(19-10-2016 05:25 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  The religious are usually very much hypocrites. As I said in ranting corner, my house burned down. just over a week ago. On the one side of my house, we have hard core republican Christians and I am reasonably sure they are happy to have my wife and I gone. The woman has said to let her know if we need anything, but I tend to think she is just being nosey. She keeps asking probing questions. The other side we have neighbors that are atheists. They let us, the firefighters, police, and whoever else come and go from their house the entire time. The reason the neighbors on that side were home when it happened instead of at work, was she had that day donated a kidney to a co-worker. Not a relative, a co-worker. I hate to sound stuck up, but I think atheists are just better. Well, at least most of the time anyway.

I am so sorry about your house! That has to be so difficult. I hope insurance money kicks in and you can build a lovely 8' fence on that side of our new house Smile

The deeply religious (and vocal) people I have encountered in my life also do seem the unhappiest, most judgmental and unkind. Correlation perhaps??
[+] 1 user Likes ShadowProject's post
22-10-2016, 08:44 AM
Living as an atheist in the bible belt gives me an appreciation of what it must be like to give up Islam. We might get clubbed by the police for using profanity, or lose our jobs when our non-belief is discovered. At least we don't (usually) have to worry about a second cousin showing up at our door with a machete.

There is a growing movement in the US of moslem apostacy. It is much more prevalent here than in Europe, possibly because they feel safer here. Sheikh Yusof al- Qaradawi once said that Islam would have died out long ago if they hadn't imposed death for apostates.

The social and economic penalties imposed on bible belt atheists makes it hard to come out of the closet. I never acknowledged my atheism at work. I didn't have to. Merely questioning the need for a law that allows christians to kill homosexuals and witches is enough to mark you as an outsider. You are eventually ferreted out merely by attempting rational discourse.

Even a careless use of a word can get you in trouble. I was a design engineer by profession. My last employer hired me because I had designed and built one of their product lines some years earlier. One day a coworker asked me how I arrived at the design of a particular machine I was working on. I explained that design is an evolutionary process, a series of mistakes leading to an occasional breakthrough. All she heard was EVOLUTIONary. Her face turned red, the smile disappeared, she walked away. I think the only thing that kept things from getting out of hand was that, as a Jehovah Witness, she was also a heretic within the organization.

There are pockets of both enlightenment and almost unbelievable stupidity here. Real estate values have some effect. Unfortunately, living on acreage almost always puts you in a stupid zone. Rural land is mostly ancestral and descends through families who could not otherwise afford land.