Bible Belt Atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-10-2015, 04:10 PM
RE: Bible Belt Atheists
(15-10-2015 03:42 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  I spotted the logo immediately. South of Heaven was the only Slayer album I owned. I bought it when it came out. I didn't really like any of their other albums.
Yeah, I don't understand the love some people have for Slayer.
The singer just screams without carrying a tune, the drummer just thrashes as fast as he can, the riffs are very short and repetative and sound the same from song to song and the guitar solos have no feeling whatsoever, just frantic chaos with lots of whammy bar.
I got their double live album Decade of Aggression and absolutely hated it. Listened to it like 5 times and then put it on the shelf and never reached for it again.
I also got The Big Four DVD and have forced myself to sit through the Slayer set twice but now just skip that set, it's rubbish.
Reign in Blood was a terrible album, short little nothing songs which all sound pretty much the same.

However in saying that there are a few songs that I find to be OK.
Behind the Crooked Cross
South of Heaven
Dissident Aggressor (which is a cover)
Dead skin mask
Die by the sword
Expendable Youth
Skeletons of Society

I never did understand why the band seem to sing about Satan and God and Jesus so much. Quite an off putting aspect to me. I guess it's just their schtick, trying to be extreme. But i do find it tiring and dull.

Are they Satanic? Who knows, probably not. I've seen tele-evangalist stuff where the preacher gets up on stage and starts screaming about Satan and hellfire. It's really no different. As I understand it one of the band members is a Catholic.
Anyway it isn't my cup of tea to listen to a bunch of songs about Jesus or about Satan.

I do wonder why Slayer is so popular in US though. Perhaps because US peeps like US bands, maybe they connect more or perhaps it is the patriotic thing in play. Or maybe with some US people they have a need to rebel from the religo-nutty that they have to endure over there and Slayer is a band that appears to give the religo-nutty the middle finger.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
15-10-2015, 04:16 PM
(15-10-2015 03:51 PM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  My in-laws would likely fall in the floor and start speaking in tongues. After that, they will hound me continuously, argue perpetually, will never listen to anything I have to say, and will tell my children that their daddy is going to hell.
After watching that school board meeting I now think perhaps you are speaking literally rather than figurativley.

If you do come out to them, make sure you have a video camera handy.
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post
15-10-2015, 04:17 PM
Geez I feel sorry for you Southern atheists. Sadcryface

That's all.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
15-10-2015, 04:57 PM
(15-10-2015 04:10 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(15-10-2015 03:42 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  I spotted the logo immediately. South of Heaven was the only Slayer album I owned. I bought it when it came out. I didn't really like any of their other albums.
The singer just screams without carrying a tune, the drummer just thrashes as fast as he can, the riffs are very short and repetative and sound the same from song to song and the guitar solos have no feeling whatsoever, just frantic chaos with lots of whammy bar.
I got their double live album Decade of Aggression and absolutely hated it. Listened to it like 5 times and then put it on the shelf and never reached for it again.
I also got The Big Four DVD and have forced myself to sit through the Slayer set twice but now just skip that set, it's rubbish.
Reign in Blood was a terrible album, short little nothing songs which all sound pretty much the same.

Behind the Crooked Cross
South of Heaven
Dead skin mask
Die by the sword
Expendable Youth
Skeletons of Society

I never did understand why the band seem to sing about Satan and God and Jesus so much. Quite an off putting aspect to me. I guess it's just their schtick, trying to be extreme. But i do find it tiring and dull.

Are they Satanic? Who knows, probably not. I've seen tele-evangalist stuff where the preacher gets up on stage and starts screaming about Satan and hellfire. It's really no different. As I understand it one of the band members is a Catholic.
Anyway it isn't my cup of tea to listen to a bunch of songs about Jesus or about Satan.

I do wonder why Slayer is so popular in US though. Perhaps because US peeps like US bands, maybe they connect more or perhaps it is the patriotic thing in play. Or maybe with some US people they have a need to rebel from the religo-nutty that they have to endure over there and Slayer is a band that appears to give the religo-nutty the middle finger.

I actually knew Kerry King when I was living in California. They aren't satanic, they are atheist (except for Dave Lombardo, he's catholic). They just like to use satanic imagery to offend the religious

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Octapulse's post
15-10-2015, 08:26 PM
(15-10-2015 04:10 PM)Stevil Wrote:  

Behind the Crooked Cross
South of Heaven
Dead skin mask
Die by the sword
Expendable Youth
Skeletons of Society

...Dissident Aggressor, originally by Judas Priest. I can honestly say that I haven't really listened to Slayer, to my knowledge.

I'm only out to my sons and some people where I worked, before I retired almost a year ago. I'm tap dancing around my wife (Catholic, we got married in a Catholic church, 34 YA), while dropping information about the RCC (such as the money-laundering operation, where the Italian police raided the Vatican, much to their indignation- but that is what happens when you work hand in glove with the mafia). I can not live a lie, so I will drop that bomb soon, because it just isn't right to keep that away. I'd like for her to see this website-
http://www.christianitydisproved.com/

If you ever need information to work over a theist's arguments, it is here. The sad fact is, you generally can't force a deconversion. People just have to face the logical aspects of religion (well, actually, the illogical aspects) and confront their conditioning, and break free. I realized in the '90s that I didn't believe, but didn't internalize that realization until 2005. I still flinch at pictures that show desecration of religious iconography. Deeply conditioned, I was. But I don't believe in a god of any sort. It's tough, sometimes.
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
16-10-2015, 07:21 AM (This post was last modified: 16-10-2015 11:27 AM by Octapulse.)
(15-10-2015 08:26 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(15-10-2015 04:10 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Yeah, I don't understand the love some people have for Slayer.

Behind the Crooked Cross
South of Heaven
Dead skin mask
Die by the sword
Expendable Youth
Skeletons of Society

...Dissident Aggressor, originally by Judas Priest. I can honestly say that I haven't really listened to Slayer, to my knowledge.

I'm only out to my sons and some people where I worked, before I retired almost a year ago. I'm tap dancing around my wife (Catholic, we got married in a Catholic church, 34 YA), while dropping information about the RCC (such as the money-laundering operation, where the Italian police raided the Vatican, much to their indignation- but that is what happens when you work hand in glove with the mafia). I can not live a lie, so I will drop that bomb soon, because it just isn't right to keep that away. I'd like for her to see this website-
http://www.christianitydisproved.com/

If you ever need information to work over a theist's arguments, it is here. The sad fact is, you generally can't force a deconversion. People just have to face the logical aspects of religion (well, actually, the illogical aspects) and confront their conditioning, and break free. I realized in the '90s that I didn't believe, but didn't internalize that realization until 2005. I still flinch at pictures that show desecration of religious iconography. Deeply conditioned, I was. But I don't believe in a god of any sort. It's tough, sometimes.

That is a great resource! Thank you for sharing that.

I'm not sure what it's going to look like when I come out to my wife. She's not overly religious but her parents are, and I think that's what makes it difficult. I've caught her rolling her eyes at things my mother-in-law has said when she starts talking about blood moons and the end of the world. So I think she's at least a little skeptical of some aspects. She never really got into it like I have. I doubt she has read much of the bible or can explain some of the simpler inner workings of christianity. So maybe there is hope that I can bring her to reason. The only thing that makes this effort volatile is that I told her a few months ago before I deconverted that I wasn't sure if I really believed in god anymore and she basically said that if that was the case then she can't be in a relationship with me. I don't know if that is her excuse to try and exit the relationship (I've given her plenty of opportunities and she has always decided to stay). It could of just been reactionary also. She suffers from anxiety issues and it could just be from that. When we moved here to Georgia she talked about wanting to start going to church again but nothing really came from that until we made friends with our neighbor across the street and she invited us to church. We've been a few times over the past couple months but I think my wife is not wanting to go. She comes up with excuses that she's too tired, not feeling well or has a lot to do. This is what she did when we went to church in California, it eventually fizzled out to where we weren't going. I think when she's not getting what she hopes to get out of going, her enthusiasm diminishes. But I think if I were to manage to bring her to reason, we would still have to stay in the closet because the company that she's been with for ten years is well known in this town and everybody knows each other here. The company is very family oriented and would probably find a reason to get rid of her if they found out. She makes really good money and benefits, it would suck to have her lose that as a result

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
16-10-2015, 11:12 AM
I can't have a casual conversation with anybody anywhere without someone shoe-horning Jesus in there. Irritating.
[+] 1 user Likes mecanna's post
16-10-2015, 03:03 PM
(16-10-2015 11:12 AM)mecanna Wrote:  I can't have a casual conversation with anybody anywhere without someone shoe-horning Jesus in there. Irritating.

Where do you live? I've yet to encounter anything like that, but then again I tend to keep to myself

16-10-2015, 04:13 PM
(15-10-2015 04:17 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Geez I feel sorry for you Southern atheists. Sadcryface

Me too. I was born and raised in a MD suburb of DC. Within walking distance I have 2 Unitarian Universalist Congregations, a Southern Baptist Church, a Hispanic Iglesia Bautista de Calvary, a Hindu Temple, a Buddhist Temple, 2 Jewish Synagogues, the Seventh Day Adventists World Headquarters, and a Santaria herbal shop which pretends it's not a Church. And the Mormon Tabernacle is a 10 minute drive. I been an atheist for going on 40 years and I never had a problem telling anybody. The religious diversity is so varied here that atheists go unnoticed. "Oh, so you're an atheist. :yawn: "

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
16-10-2015, 05:34 PM
(16-10-2015 04:13 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(15-10-2015 04:17 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Geez I feel sorry for you Southern atheists. Sadcryface

Me too. I was born and raised in a MD suburb of DC. Within walking distance I have 2 Unitarian Universalist Congregations, a Southern Baptist Church, a Hispanic Iglesia Bautista de Calvary, a Hindu Temple, a Buddhist Temple, 2 Jewish Synagogues, the Seventh Day Adventists World Headquarters, and a Santaria herbal shop which pretends it's not a Church. And the Mormon Tabernacle is a 10 minute drive. I been an atheist for going on 40 years and I never had a problem telling anybody. The religious diversity is so varied here that atheists go unnoticed. "Oh, so you're an atheist. :yawn: "

That's pretty much how southern California was f