Bible Belt Atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-10-2015, 09:39 PM
RE: Bible Belt Atheists
(16-10-2015 03:03 PM)Octapulse Wrote:  
(16-10-2015 11:12 AM)mecanna Wrote:  I can't have a casual conversation with anybody anywhere without someone shoe-horning Jesus in there. Irritating.

Where do you live? I've yet to encounter anything like that, but then again I tend to keep to myself
Northeast Mississippi. It's terrible.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes mecanna's post
16-10-2015, 10:13 PM
(16-10-2015 09:39 PM)mecanna Wrote:  Northeast Mississippi. It's terrible.

Corinth? Iuka?

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
16-10-2015, 11:53 PM (This post was last modified: 16-10-2015 11:56 PM by Nurse.)
500 lb CVICU patient: I don't want to get back in bed, I'm comfortable in the size wise. (a bedside chair for people that can't get in the recliner)

nurse: Sir, it increases your risk of a pressure ulcer to stay in it all night. You're not up and moving like you would be at home. It's not padded like a bed and nearly impossible to turn you.

500 lb CVICU patient: I am a child of god. He's gotten me this far. I'm not going to get a pressure ulcer.

Dodgy riiight...so your God gives you magical butt protection but didn't prevent you from needing open heart surgery to fix all those arteries your lifestyle + genetics clogged up.

Dumbass.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 4 users Like Nurse's post
17-10-2015, 12:16 AM
(16-10-2015 11:53 PM)Nurse Wrote:  500 lb CVICU patient: I am a child of god. He's gotten me this far. I'm not going to get a pressure ulcer.
Maybe his god should've made sure he's not the size of a fucking hippo.
18-10-2015, 06:44 PM
Damn, I'm a bump over 200, and the doc is on me like a diaper about me losing weight. (I am actually working on it- most comes from injuries that limit my exercise, which are being addressed, but make it difficult). Then I see some land waddling walrus with lower blood pressure. Angry
19-10-2015, 05:17 AM
(16-10-2015 10:13 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  
(16-10-2015 09:39 PM)mecanna Wrote:  Northeast Mississippi. It's terrible.

Corinth? Iuka?
Even worse! Dun dun daaa... Might as well say Caledonia. Though close to another town
19-10-2015, 09:20 AM
You have my sympathies, or derision. WTF would you stay? I know, family and friends, jobs, yeah.
Besides the fact that life would by like George Carlin's "Playing spy at the airport".
"You know there's a <insert atheist> at the <insert shopping mall, store, bowling alley, school>. Your job? Find them. Big Grin
19-10-2015, 01:25 PM
I'm right there with you all, mostly surrounded by the "happy clappy" Jesus loves everyone Christians. Well, atleast out in public they are sweet. But let's not forget I am living in the city where Jim & Tammy Faye had their PTL Mecca , where streets are named Billy Graham Blvd (and go right by his "Library" (Christian tourist trap), the HQ of Sammaritans Purse (Franklin Graham's charity....err money machine, and new upcoming mega pastor Steve Furtick of Elevation Church and many more. Oh- almost forgot the ROD OF GOD CHURCH...ha, that name cracks me up. Angel

As an atheist, I belong to a local group....I even have a membership card!! They get together frequently but I'm a slacker and homebody so mostly just connect with them online.

Husband knows, he is a believer, we are good, just celebrated 15 years, both agreed another 15 or more is a good idea.

kids- the 10 year old girl self identifies to most everyone as atheist or non believer, she will quiz the other kids in her 5th grade class. She has no qualms about being out. The 12 year old girl self identifies as non believer or agnostic. She knows that some might have a problem with the word atheist and she doesnt want to rock the boat-- the younger thrives on rocking it. lol.

I guess I am lucky that I don't run into anyone speaking in tongues or snake handling but I'm sure it's here too.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 6 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
19-10-2015, 08:58 PM
Southern Alabama here. EVERYTHING has a religious slant to it here. Thankfully I work overseas and get some relief when I leave. "Nurse", I can relate to your woes. My elderly brother and wife always judge their health care workers based on their religious belief. "Oh, he's a good Christian doctor...", I'm like, why would his religion or lack thereof have any bearing on his ability to treat you? They immediately give me their condescending stare... If he were Buddhist, or g@d forbid (see, even I'm doing it?) would he or she be any less of a professional? I tend to think the reverse might be true. That's my rant for now. I'm glad to have found this place. Bless yer hearts Wink
[+] 5 users Like Captain Congo's post
20-10-2015, 06:11 AM
(19-10-2015 09:20 AM)skyking Wrote:  You have my sympathies, or derision. WTF would you stay? I know, family and friends, jobs, yeah.
Besides the fact that life would by like George Carlin's "Playing spy at the airport".
"You know there's a <insert atheist> at the <insert shopping mall, store, bowling alley, school>. Your job? Find them. Big Grin
Well, not everyone has the ability to just pack up and leave. I'm sure that one day it'll be possible, but not this year. Not the next either, most likely.
[+] 1 user Likes mecanna's post