Bible Belt Atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-10-2015, 08:46 AM
RE: Bible Belt Atheists
(19-10-2015 08:58 PM)Captain Congo Wrote:  Southern Alabama here. EVERYTHING has a religious slant to it here. Thankfully I work overseas and get some relief when I leave. "Nurse", I can relate to your woes. My elderly brother and wife always judge their health care workers based on their religious belief. "Oh, he's a good Christian doctor...", I'm like, why would his religion or lack thereof have any bearing on his ability to treat you? They immediately give me their condescending stare... If he were Buddhist, or g@d forbid (see, even I'm doing it?) would he or she be any less of a professional? I tend to think the reverse might be true. That's my rant for now. I'm glad to have found this place. Bless yer hearts Wink

This is one of the things that worries me from a work perspective. People here conflate "godliness" with character, integrity and leadership ability. They assume that if you are not "god-fearing" then you must be lacking something in your character.

Also, I cringe every time I hear people talk about how godly their doctor is... "He asked if he could pray with me before the surgery! That made me feel so comforted." Why? I'd be worried that when the crap hits the fan he would just throw his hands up and say "Jesus take the wheel!" No, thank you. I'd much rather my doctor know that it is up to him and not depend on an imaginary friend to fix any mistakes he might make.

And, EVERY freaking coincidence that has a positive outcome gets the "isn't it amazing how god works!" while every bad thing that happens is either "the devil is trying to hold you back" or "god is letting it happen to make you stronger" or some other stupid response.

I went to the first funeral I've been to since I finally acknowledged my apostasy to myself. If I had a nickel for every time I heard "she is in jebus' loving arms", "she has a new body now" or "heaven has new angel" I would have made a small fortune in one day.

I never realized how deeply ingrained all these things are in people's vocabulary.

Before I close my rant for the morning, I must also mention my coworker who continuously derides the very idea that global warming could possibly exist. He clearly has no idea about any of the science, he just repeats stuff he reads on the internet and puff his chest out like he is the world's preeminent scientist on the topic.

ok, all done now. lol... /rant

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like TurkeyBurner's post
22-10-2015, 05:32 AM
The majority of funerals I attended featured a preacher forgetting it was a FUNERAL and start ranting and raving at us.

At the last one, they brought out a guy who sings for the church choir, mentioning several times that "he's so good, he sings on cruise ships!" He sang about 5 long ass, horrible hymns. Then the preacher started. He actually said, "Now the deceased is in a flying chariot, over golden streets and towers of diamonds." Then he winked at us and said, in a rather seductive voice, "Ladies..." My brother started giggling and tried to cough in an attempt to cover it up, then he started choking and sputtering. My dad turned and whispered to to me, "If you do this shit at MY funeral I'll come back and haunt you." It ended up being pretty funny.
[+] 2 users Like mecanna's post
22-10-2015, 06:14 AM
(19-10-2015 01:25 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  But let's not forget I am living in the city where Jim & Tammy Faye had their PTL Mecca , where streets are named Billy Graham Blvd (and go right by his "Library" (Christian tourist trap

Billy Graham Blvd??

It was great in the town I used to live in Germany, it has roads named after academics and physicists, scientists, mathematicians, poets, artists etc:

(-strasse means 'street', -weg means 'way')

Einstein strasse
Heisenberg strasse (no, not Heisenberg from Breaking Bad)
Max-Planck strasse
Niels-Bohr strasse
Max-Born weg
Mozart strasse
Goethe weg

Checking on wikipedia I found even more:

"Carl-Von-Linde-Strasse"
"Dieselstrasse"
"Eulerweg""
"Röntgenstrasse"
"Schrödingerweg".

Even the street named after a theologian was called:

Professor Angermair ring

I think it's research nuclear reactor is the only one left in Germany. I'm pretty sure they use it to heat up the research centre's fish pond in winter. The amount of steam that rises from it on a cold morning is suspicious.
[+] 3 users Like Mathilda's post
22-10-2015, 06:20 AM
(22-10-2015 05:32 AM)mecanna Wrote:  The majority of funerals I attended featured a preacher forgetting it was a FUNERAL and start ranting and raving at us.

A friend of mine went to a wedding in the outer Hebrides, a remote Scottish island. The vicar spent the entire time ranting and raving at the newly wed couple telling them that they all knew that they had been sleeping out of wedlock and even though they were married now it did not make up for their sin and they would still burn in Hell for it.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
22-10-2015, 06:29 AM
Oh wow. That's ridiculous. I think (hope) I would've walked out.
22-10-2015, 12:06 PM
I sent this to my fundi in-laws today - think they will be upset?

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
[+] 6 users Like Timber1025's post
22-10-2015, 12:41 PM
(22-10-2015 12:06 PM)Timber1025 Wrote:  I sent this to my fundi in-laws today - think they will be upset?

I didn’t know fundies knew how to read maps, you’re probably safe.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
22-10-2015, 10:41 PM
(22-10-2015 12:06 PM)Timber1025 Wrote:  I sent this to my fundi in-laws today - think they will be upset?
If they figure it out, it will give them cause to pray all the harder. It's a good plan, it has worked so well up to now Facepalm
22-10-2015, 10:47 PM
(22-10-2015 05:32 AM)mecanna Wrote:  The majority of funerals I attended featured a preacher forgetting it was a FUNERAL and start ranting and raving at us.

At the last one, they brought out a guy who sings for the church choir, mentioning several times that "he's so good, he sings on cruise ships!" He sang about 5 long ass, horrible hymns. Then the preacher started. He actually said, "Now the deceased is in a flying chariot, over golden streets and towers of diamonds." Then he winked at us and said, in a rather seductive voice, "Ladies..." My brother started giggling and tried to cough in an attempt to cover it up, then he started choking and sputtering. My dad turned and whispered to to me, "If you do this shit at MY funeral I'll come back and haunt you." It ended up being pretty funny.
the bully pulpit. My mom was in the area and attended the funeral of a pilot buddy of mine, a fellow instructor. She went to support me and it was pretty rotten.
Phil was clearly not going to church at least as I could detect, but they made this big production of how he had just started attending and was a good son, and a whole lot of horsecrap and long winded sermonizing. They had us mourners there and the pastor was not wasting an opportunity.
After the funeral I went by the gravesite at 200 MPH and did a big pull up in the plane. it meant much more to his other pilot friends than the "he was saved at the last minute" crap at the church.
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
23-10-2015, 01:41 AM
What aircraft, Skyking? 174 knots is hauling ass, down that low!

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson