Bible Belt Atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-10-2015, 07:03 AM
RE: Bible Belt Atheists
(22-10-2015 12:41 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(22-10-2015 12:06 PM)Timber1025 Wrote:  I sent this to my fundi in-laws today - think they will be upset?

I didn’t know fundies knew how to read maps, you’re probably safe.

Yeah, maps may be a challenge but I figure pictures will be easier to keep their attention a few seconds longer.

I had to send this in response to a comment one of them said over the weekend, which was something like "the further away from religion a country strays leads to their downfall" - crazy shit man!

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-10-2015, 07:07 AM
(23-10-2015 01:41 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  What aircraft, Skyking? 174 knots is hauling ass, down that low!

google my username. It is a late straight tail 310
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
23-10-2015, 05:36 PM
I was at the NC State Fair today. Believe it or not, there is a church inside the fairgrounds. All throughout the day, they hold services and sing hymns. I was so tempted to go in there with my brother and start yelling, "Praise Jay-zus! The blood has found me and blessed me! I shall renounce my heathen ways!!"
[+] 3 users Like Clockwork's post
27-10-2015, 04:47 PM
I'm a recent transplant into the bible belt, north AL. Moved from maybe the most non-religious place in the country, San Francisco. Needless to say, culture shock is an understatement. I have a couple kids going through elementary/middle school here because despite all the bible thumping and stickers on the science books, the public education system here is much better than CA's. My kids are pretty strong willed, and I have some serious concerns about how they will be treated when the kids and teachers find out that they are infidels. Aside from that it's been alright, I get stares and comments when I tell people to take thier bullshit and go proselytize someone else, but it doesn't really bother me. The more I think about it, the more I realize that I'm exactly where I should be, the bible belt needs more atheists, many more. So that one day, hopefully it may shed that ridiculous moniker.

I'm not sure exactly when, but soon, I'm going to be trying to get a cohesive group of people together to do a bit of proselytizing of our own. I'm convinced that there is a huge segment of the population here that feels trapped and alone. I intend to hopefully make those people less ashamed, and give them the confidence and support needed to express themselves freely. The most important thing is to let people know they aren't strange or defective for being rational.
[+] 8 users Like RinChi's post
31-10-2015, 12:43 PM
There are dentists in Alabama? Smile
[+] 3 users Like Chrisinfp's post
05-12-2015, 10:36 AM
I hope that agnostic people are welcome here. I'm just not sure whether god is real or not. I havent told my parents and I'm not sure if I will. I don't want to upset my dad. I don't know how he'll feel about it. I am so glad that I'm not alone here about being in the closet. Smile My whole family are bible thumpers so I get pretty awkard when my brother in law talks about all this end of the world nonesense. He says he gets dreams and visions from god. I think he's nuts but he is a nice person. I love my family but I get uncomfortable talking about god and religion.
05-12-2015, 10:42 AM
(05-12-2015 10:36 AM)musicharmony87 Wrote:  I hope that agnostic people are welcome here. I'm just not sure whether god is real or not. I havent told my parents and I'm not sure if I will. I don't want to upset my dad. I don't know how he'll feel about it. I am so glad that I'm not alone here about being in the closet. Smile My whole family are bible thumpers so I get pretty awkard when my brother in law talks about all this end of the world nonesense. He says he gets dreams and visions from god. I think he's nuts but he is a nice person. I love my family but I get uncomfortable talking about god and religion.

Welcome! Of course agnostics are welcome and you will find that many of us consider ourselves agnostic. We don't believe in god because of the lack of evidence. Does that mean that there is absolutely no possible way a god can't exist? No, but because of revelations through science compared to the exposed nonsense of religion we can say that it is most likely there is no god. If someone says they have evidence I say bring it on! But no one has brought forth anything that hasn't already been picked apart a million times

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Octapulse's post
05-12-2015, 10:56 AM
Bible Belt Atheists
(05-12-2015 10:42 AM)Octapulse Wrote:  
(05-12-2015 10:36 AM)musicharmony87 Wrote:  I hope that agnostic people are welcome here. I'm just not sure whether god is real or not. I havent told my parents and I'm not sure if I will. I don't want to upset my dad. I don't know how he'll feel about it. I am so glad that I'm not alone here about being in the closet. Smile My whole family are bible thumpers so I get pretty awkard when my brother in law talks about all this end of the world nonesense. He says he gets dreams and visions from god. I think he's nuts but he is a nice person. I love my family but I get uncomfortable talking about god and religion.

Welcome! Of course agnostics are welcome and you will find that many of us consider ourselves agnostic. We don't believe in god because of the lack of evidence. Does that mean that there is absolutely no possible way a god can't exist? No, but because of revelations through science compared to the exposed nonsense of religion we can say that it is most likely there is no god. If someone says they have evidence I say bring it on! But no one has brought forth anything that hasn't already been picked apart a million times

Thank you. You are too kind Smile
[+] 1 user Likes musicharmony87's post
05-12-2015, 12:32 PM
(05-12-2015 10:42 AM)Octapulse Wrote:  

I've been working on my own personal manifesto of my own disbelief for a few months, now. Here's the pertinent section (there's supposed to be paragraph breaks, sorry if they don't survive):

I envy believers. Once having been of their number I have personal knowledge of how comforting and comfortable it can be. Having an Our Father Who Art in Heaven in whose lap you can safely sit until life's demons leave you in peace is marvelous. But there's a problem. Faith is another word for trust, and religious faith is inherently a complete trust in God. Generally, people trust one another until and unless shown that their trust may be misplaced. We trust our parents most of all, and if they say that there is a compassionate, all-powerful God in which you can and must have complete confidence, it must be so. Then, at some point, you start to notice things: prayers seem to go unanswered, bad things happen to good people, what you're taught in church conflicts with what you're taught in school, and religious explanations for what you see around you seem tortured and unsatisfying. In short, you come to doubt that God is completely trustworthy. And so it begins. Eventually you choose to depart from the nest and strike out on your own. Yes, it's cold, wet and dangerous out here, but it's the way things are. It seems better to see and deal with life as it really is, without it being filtered through what now is understood to be an ancient set of morality plays...

...One the other hand, having lost my religious faith once, what would it take for me to believe again? I've asked myself this question more than once. I have spent decades overcoming my religious indoctrination and still find it difficult to put it all firmly behind me. So God should have a bit of an advantage, one would think. Still, having found simple faith insufficient, I'm going to need something more than promises and threats; I'm going to have to be shown something that can have no other possible explanation. What would that be? To be fair (why am I worried about playing fair with God?), I can't demand something that would set God up to fail (a rock so heavy that even He can't lift it). It's a problem. Then I realized it isn't my problem, it's God's. If He is everything He's supposed to be, He knows better than anyone, even me, how to bring me back. In other words I should let go and let God, to borrow a favorite phrase of the faithful, and that is exactly what I've done. So far, though, the aether has been silent.
05-12-2015, 12:59 PM
Bible Belt Atheists
(05-12-2015 12:32 PM)jabeady Wrote:  
(05-12-2015 10:42 AM)Octapulse Wrote:  Welcome! Of course agnostics are welcome and you will find that many of us consider ourselves agnostic. We don't believe in god because of the lack of evidence. Does that mean that there is absolutely no possible way a god can't exist? No, but because of revelations through science compared to the exposed nonsense of religion we can say that it is most likely there is no god. If someone says they have evidence I say bring it on! But no one has brought forth anything that hasn't already been picked apart a million times

I've been working on my own personal manifesto of my own disbelief for a few months, now. Here's the pertinent section (there's supposed to be paragraph breaks, sorry if they don't survive):

I envy believers. Once having been of their number I have personal knowledge of how comforting and comfortable it can be. Having an Our Father Who Art in Heaven in whose lap you can safely sit until life's demons leave you in peace is marvelous. But there's a problem. Faith is another word for trust, and religious faith is inherently a complete trust in God. Generally, people trust one another until and unless shown that their trust may be misplaced. We trust our parents most of all, and if they say that there is a compassionate, all-powerful God in which you can and must have complete confidence, it must be so. Then, at some point, you start to notice things: prayers seem to go unanswered, bad things happen to good people, what you're taught in church conflicts with what you're taught in school, and religious explanations for what you see around you seem tortured and unsatisfying. In short, you come to doubt that God is completely trustworthy. And so it begins. Eventually you choose to depart from the nest and strike out on your own. Yes, it's cold, wet and dangerous out here, but it's the way things are. It seems better to see and deal with life as it really is, without it being filtered through what now is understood to be an ancient set of morality plays...

...One the other hand, having lost my religious faith once, what would it take for me to believe again? I've asked myself this question more than once. I have spent decades overcoming my religious indoctrination and still find it difficult to put it all firmly behind me. So God should have a bit of an advantage, one would think. Still, having found simple faith insufficient, I'm going to need something more than promises and threats; I'm going to have to be shown something that can have no other possible explanation. What would that be? To be fair (why am I worried about playing fair with God?), I can't demand something that would set God up to fail (a rock so heavy that even He can't lift it). It's a problem. Then I realized it isn't my problem, it's God's. If He is everything He's supposed to be, He knows better than anyone, even me, how to bring me back. In other words I should let go and let God, to borrow a favorite phrase of the faithful, and that is exactly what I've done. So far, though, the aether has been silent.

I have been doing something similar to what you have done. I had spent month over obsessive thinking to realize that I am agnostic. I continue to obsess over this whole religion. There are a ton of things I disagree with. When I obsessively think about this topic it makes me feel like I haven't come to terms with where I am. But in truth I have. These obsessive thoughts happen the break up with my ex. I obsessed over how badly he treated me. Once I got over that I moved on to my faith and where I am now. I am agnostic but am I over the whole religion? Probably not. It would probably take me another 6 months or more to move on from this. I want to just let go of this religion and move on to the next thought whatever that may be. I have a lot going on in my life I could dwell on but for some reason I chose religion. How long would it take me get over this? I been a Christian my whole life. Since birth. These thoughts eat at me and stress me out. I wonder if they cause panic attacks when I'm out on the road. I haven't really dealt with God not answering my prayer to save my mother. So that's probably why I am having all these intrusive thoughts about religion. I wish I could slap myself and tell myself to stop. To get away from it all I just watch tv. My mind is quiet when the tv is on and I feel better for a little while. But the thoughts always come back. I really need to move on from this but how? I moved on from my ex how can I move on from religion? I don't really practice this religion anymore. I'm not active in a church on the worship team or helping with events. Ugh. I need an escape route! Sad