Bible Belt Atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-12-2015, 01:47 PM
RE: Bible Belt Atheists
My in-laws live in southern Alabama, I've been coming here for 28 years.

I have never had a religious conversation with anyone here and intend to keep it that way.

There is a new church being built in town every month and police vehicles have emblazoned across the back windshield, "In God We Trust".

Around here college football and Jeebus reign supreme. I've seen more than one painting with Jeebus and Bear Bryant together. Facepalm

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
06-12-2015, 05:42 PM
I would not want to be a bible belt atheist...kudos to those of you who are.

The essence of life is statistical improbability on a colossal scale.
[+] 2 users Like Spooky's post
10-12-2015, 06:28 AM
I don't think I would ever want to live in the southern states. Hell, even the midwest is pretty bad in a lot of places. I like it right here where I am at. Most people I know here are so fucking ignorant of what life is like outside their own little world that they don't even know what at theist is.

What is embarrasing is that my mom doesn't even know what the first amendment is OR the first commandment of the bible and she claims she believes in Jesus...like WTF?!

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post
10-12-2015, 03:45 PM
(05-12-2015 01:47 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  My in-laws live in southern Alabama, I've been coming here for 28 years.

I have never had a religious conversation with anyone here and intend to keep it that way.

There is a new church being built in town every month and police vehicles have emblazoned across the back windshield, "In God We Trust".

Around here college football and Jeebus reign supreme. I've seen more than one painting with Jeebus and Bear Bryant together. Facepalm

Bless yer heart and um, Roll Tide. (Mobile area here) Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes Captain Congo's post
28-12-2015, 04:34 PM
I've got to catch a flight this week. My brother tells me, "Lord, cover him in your blood and watch over him." I often hear, "We're just gonna plead the blood of Jesus". Blood comes into play a lot in Christianity. Why would a supreme being require the body fluids from something he made in order to appease him? DodgyOhmySadcryface
[+] 1 user Likes Captain Congo's post
29-12-2015, 03:23 PM
(31-10-2015 12:43 PM)Chrisinfp Wrote:  There are dentists in Alabama? Smile

Adentists

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Octapulse's post
29-12-2015, 04:46 PM
I suppose I'm not in the "officially acknowledged" Bible belt, but I do live in Kentucky, which is still godawful.

I think what makes it so hard over here is that Christianity is taken for granted. I've been offered prayers by complete strangers, been told I'm a very "Christian" person by teachers as though it's a commonly-given compliment (or compliment at all...), been invited to church by total strangers, and been involved in countless conversations (also with strangers) that somehow ended with "Well, thank the good lord for giving me strength/god is good, right?" "Uh, yeah, that's great, bye."

The idea of atheism in the general public here is total anathema. Thank, uh, goodness, that now I live in Louisville, the closest thing Kentucky has to a cosmopolitan area.

"The universe is also within us; we're made of star stuff. We are a way for the Cosmos to know itself." - Carl Sagan
[+] 2 users Like Groofay's post
29-12-2015, 05:53 PM
Would US atheists here agree (in broad terms) with this map of religious affiliations?

[Image: us+map.png]

In Australia, things are a bit easier to map:

[Image: religion-australia.jpg]

Even more interesting is the distribution of atheists in Australia:

[Image: 600px-Australian_Census_2011_demographic...ns.svg.png]

Note that in some locations, more than a third of the population are atheists. Well done us! Big Grin

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
29-12-2015, 06:27 PM
I live in Oklahoma now but I'm not from here, I was born and raised more northern mid-west. Before I came to Oklahoma a stranger had never: blessed me, pray at or for me, invited me to church, told me to "Take It To Jesus" and a myriad of other intrusive religions commonalities that happen here.

I was involved in the very first atheist organization in Oklahoma and in the first atheist conference here (which is now the biggest atheist conference in the mid-west) in Tulsa. I have met and had dinner with several major atheist speakers, including the one for which this forum was started. I have protested not only in downtown Tulsa but at the capitol building as well.

There were challenges, it was risky (job-wise) but not once was I ever afraid anyone would hurt me, not even the first time I wore my atheist tee-shirt out for the first time at WalMart. This is a backward state politically but not an atheist violent one.

Most people I have share with are simply amazed, as if I said I had purple feelers growing out of my head (Really? Shocking..). But not one person has ever been nasty, except bible-beaters in online atheist threads, and no one has ever treated me differently at work or in any of my volunteer places.

As far as backwater bible belt bozo's go, my Oklahoma is pretty cool. Or.... they're just quietly enjoying that fact they think I'm going to fry in hell forever.. whatever. Big Grin

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 2 users Like Heatheness's post
14-01-2016, 11:56 PM (This post was last modified: 15-01-2016 12:02 AM by UndauntedToast.)
Checking in!

I'm from southwest Virginia. I travel to Alabama (about an hour away from Birmingham) when I can (long distance relationship).

My girlfriend's mom is racist, homophobic and prejudiced in general. Before I first went down to meet her family, who are otherwise nice people (I know how that sounds... "racist, homophobic and prejudiced in general, but otherwise nice!"... oh goodness), my girlfriend's mom told her, "He better not be no atheist; I'd rather you be with a black man than an atheist". My girlfriend pleaded with me, if the topic came up with her mom in regards to religion, to not tell her that I was an atheist. I complied with her wishes. I lied to her mom one day last July when the topic came up and told her that I believed in god. I immediately switched the subject to people who force their ideologies down your throat. That was that. I guess I'm a liar, but I lied to avoid senseless, useless conflict that would've been a colossal waste of time.

My girlfriend is a wonderful person, but she was obviously sheltered a lot growing up, and I feel like the time she's been with me has been a period where she's been able to grow up exponentially (she'll be 22 this year). I'd like to do a ton of traveling with her around the country, and one of the reasons? Culture shock.

I'd like to travel with her mom, too... Didn't Mark Twain put it best? "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness"?

My family, I suppose, knows I'm an atheist, but it's fell on pretty much deaf ears.

Last month, one of my younger cousins -- who I grew up with yet hadn't been close to in years -- died tragically of carbon monoxide poisoning (total accident) in his apartment. At the wake and funeral, out of absolute respect I bowed my head during prayers and other related proceedings.

I respect what somebody wants to believe. Hell, why wouldn't I? It's none of my business at the end of the day. Now, if only many of the same people that I'm referring to in this post would do the same in return.

Why is it that it's assumed that if you are an atheist you have no "morals" or no "code" that you live by in regards to being a decent human being? That makes me rage something fierce. If you need a book to tell you how to live, then I don't know what to say for you. Most things that should be considered courtesy/decency to your fellow man/woman should be some common sense kind of living, but alas, it isn't.

Living here isn't the worst thing in the world, by any means. I just get frustrated when I encounter a walking, talking stereotype of the south. Backwards mentalities and mindsets run rampant everywhere.
[+] 3 users Like UndauntedToast's post