Bible Belt Atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-01-2016, 05:29 PM
RE: Bible Belt Atheists
(26-01-2016 05:25 PM)Nurse Wrote:  
(26-01-2016 05:06 PM)rebel*ox Wrote:  Nice to hear from another nurse. I live in middle Georgia. What area do you work? I've done ER mostly these last 6 yrs but have done everything from Ortho/post surgery to homehealth. I am known at work as the liberal one. A few of the more open minded nurses know I am atheist. Of course my patients have no idea. My hospital is very small town and I get invited to church almost every day I work. I was married to a very fundie guy....divorced him, got excommunicated from the presbyterian church and found a fun wonderful guy who has discovered the happy life of atheisim with me. Been together 9 years! Hang in. I live for these forums and podcasts and facebook (closed) groups. I cannot come out completely b/c my son is a youth pastor and though he knows I am quite the skeptic, it would put undue pain on him to know I am atheist. Maybe slowly over time, but I just can't hurt him right now. Nice to meet you.

I started out in home health (needed a job), then ER, CVICU, and now back to ER. I've decided to move back home - when I do that, I'll return to an ICU environment. Party because if I return to my old emergency department then I would have to work with my ex's girlfriend, and partly so I don't have to rule out CRNA school as an option. With UAB's program I would spend 11 months in Birmingham and then the remainder back in Huntsville living rent free with my parents.

The living with my parents part is going to keep me in the closet a few more years. However, I'll have my son 50%, won't owe my ex child support, and can pay off my debts much sooner making grad school a possibility.

Ugh. Mom said I have to go to church as a condition for me living there. At least she's willing to change churches for me - we'll be going to a less conservative southern baptist church than my parents are currently attending, so I won't have to hear frequent sermons about how terrible of a person I am for my divorce.

Yikes! Wouldn't it be better to live in a van down by the river? Gasp

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
30-01-2016, 10:49 AM
(26-01-2016 05:25 PM)Nurse Wrote:  
(26-01-2016 05:06 PM)rebel*ox Wrote:  Nice to hear from another nurse. I live in middle Georgia. What area do you work? I've done ER mostly these last 6 yrs but have done everything from Ortho/post surgery to homehealth. I am known at work as the liberal one. A few of the more open minded nurses know I am atheist. Of course my patients have no idea. My hospital is very small town and I get invited to church almost every day I work. I was married to a very fundie guy....divorced him, got excommunicated from the presbyterian church and found a fun wonderful guy who has discovered the happy life of atheisim with me. Been together 9 years! Hang in. I live for these forums and podcasts and facebook (closed) groups. I cannot come out completely b/c my son is a youth pastor and though he knows I am quite the skeptic, it would put undue pain on him to know I am atheist. Maybe slowly over time, but I just can't hurt him right now. Nice to meet you.

I started out in home health (needed a job), then ER, CVICU, and now back to ER. I've decided to move back home - when I do that, I'll return to an ICU environment. Party because if I return to my old emergency department then I would have to work with my ex's girlfriend, and partly so I don't have to rule out CRNA school as an option. With UAB's program I would spend 11 months in Birmingham and then the remainder back in Huntsville living rent free with my parents.

The living with my parents part is going to keep me in the closet a few more years. However, I'll have my son 50%, won't owe my ex child support, and can pay off my debts much sooner making grad school a possibility.

Ugh. Mom said I have to go to church as a condition for me living there. At least she's willing to change churches for me - we'll be going to a less conservative southern baptist church than my parents are currently attending, so I won't have to hear frequent sermons about how terrible of a person I am for my divorce.

Is it possible to incorporate a church of your own making and then rent a storage unit for you to hang out at a couple of hours each weekend?

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 2 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
30-01-2016, 01:10 PM
Hill Country, TX here. Not Deep South, and only nominally part of the Bible Belt, but I'm out. I don't hide it, I don't flaunt it.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
30-01-2016, 01:13 PM
(26-01-2016 05:29 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Yikes! Wouldn't it be better to live in a van down by the river? Gasp

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
02-03-2016, 03:59 AM
I'm in middle Tennessee. A couple of years ago I had surgery prescribed by my doctor and at intake in the rehab facility was asked my religion. I stated that I had no religious affiliation and was in fact agnostic (I didn't claim atheism at the time). The intake staff member told me quietly that I should understand that it was a faith based facility and that it would be best if I didn't specify that I was agnostic. This was not a church or attached to a church. Its like the hospital is called Saint Whatever.... but its not a hospital for persons of a certain denomination. If I call an ambulance I am taken to this hospital. At least in the hospital no one has ever cautioned me to hide my beliefs. Being originally from New York I find it insane how TN won't allow federally funded medical insurance - instead they direct the uninsured to fill out a financial request form in their office which they submit to be covered by Saint Whoever charity. Its as though they don't want the Secular government to help you because then you HAVE to turn to the church.
[+] 1 user Likes EmberImpressions's post
02-03-2016, 06:23 AM
(02-03-2016 03:59 AM)EmberImpressions Wrote:  I'm in middle Tennessee. A couple of years ago I had surgery prescribed by my doctor and at intake in the rehab facility was asked my religion. I stated that I had no religious affiliation and was in fact agnostic (I didn't claim atheism at the time). The intake staff member told me quietly that I should understand that it was a faith based facility and that it would be best if I didn't specify that I was agnostic. This was not a church or attached to a church. Its like the hospital is called Saint Whatever.... but its not a hospital for persons of a certain denomination. If I call an ambulance I am taken to this hospital. At least in the hospital no one has ever cautioned me to hide my beliefs. Being originally from New York I find it insane how TN won't allow federally funded medical insurance - instead they direct the uninsured to fill out a financial request form in their office which they submit to be covered by Saint Whoever charity. Its as though they don't want the Secular government to help you because then you HAVE to turn to the church.

Wow. I have no words. Um. Speak to their supervisor if you ever get that in the future. Get the ethics committee involved.

I'm fairly certain I know which healthcare system to which you're referring (I don't work for them). Despite being "faith based," (they're Catholic) they have this on their own website regarding diversity:

"Therefore, we promote equal opportunity and non-discrimination in our hiring practices; we actively promote diversity and inclusion; and we welcome and engage all associates.
We also respect the religious freedom of each .associate and acknowledge their rights to act according to their beliefs to the extent that such actions are not inconsistent with the common good."

What you were told goes against their own mission...that's messed up. I've had diversity training from day 1 of nursing school, that smacks right in the face of everything I've ever been taught - you treat the patient no matter their beliefs and no matter yours, and help facilitate the practice of their beliefs whenever reasonable.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
02-03-2016, 08:02 AM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2016 08:06 AM by jariel.)
I'm in Lynchburg, Virginia, the late Jerry Falwell's playground...
I live in an apartment building for low-income seniors. Out of 74 tenants, I'm the only non-Christian. I would say 99.999 of those Christians are evangelical.
Here are three conversations I heard in the lobby yesterday.

Conversation 1:
WOMAN A: When I woke up a few mornings ago, I had some bug bites. I couldn't figure out what in the world was biting me. I hadn't seen any bugs in my apartment. So I prayed to Jesus, and fasted for a day, and this morning I found that bug on my wall, sitting right there in a little crack. PRAISE JESUS!!!!! He loves us SO MUCH!
WOMEN B & C: HALLELUJAH! PRAISE JEEEE-SUUUUUUUUSSS!

Conversation 2:
WOMAN C: I've been praying for a month that my granddaughter's health insurance would come through. And Jesus moved in her life, and this morning she found out she got her health insurance! PRAISE JESUS!
WOMEN D, E & F: HALLELUJAH! Praise JEEEEE-SUUUUUSSSS!!!!

Conversation 3:
WOMAN G: Did y'all know I have a lesbian niece?
WOMEN H AND I: Noooo! You do? (SHOCKED GASPS)
WOMAN G: Well, I do, and she's been living in sin with another lesbian, and I got their wedding invitation in the mail today!
WOMEN H AND I: (SHOCKED GASPS)
WOMAN G: Well, I called her right up and I told her I love her from the bottom of my heart but I will most certainly not come to her so-called wedding and support her evil, Satanic lifestyle, and that I would pray that Jesus wipe her filthy heart clean.
WOMAN I: SATAN IS GAY!!!!
[+] 6 users Like jariel's post
02-03-2016, 09:45 AM
(02-03-2016 08:02 AM)jariel Wrote:  I'm in Lynchburg, Virginia, the late Jerry Falwell's playground...
I live in an apartment building for low-income seniors. Out of 74 tenants, I'm the only non-Christian. I would say 99.999 of those Christians are evangelical.
Here are three conversations I heard in the lobby yesterday.

Conversation 1:
WOMAN A: When I woke up a few mornings ago, I had some bug bites. I couldn't figure out what in the world was biting me. I hadn't seen any bugs in my apartment. So I prayed to Jesus, and fasted for a day, and this morning I found that bug on my wall, sitting right there in a little crack. PRAISE JESUS!!!!! He loves us SO MUCH!
WOMEN B & C: HALLELUJAH! PRAISE JEEEE-SUUUUUUUUSSS!

Conversation 2:
WOMAN C: I've been praying for a month that my granddaughter's health insurance would come through. And Jesus moved in her life, and this morning she found out she got her health insurance! PRAISE JESUS!
WOMEN D, E & F: HALLELUJAH! Praise JEEEEE-SUUUUUSSSS!!!!

Conversation 3:
WOMAN G: Did y'all know I have a lesbian niece?
WOMEN H AND I: Noooo! You do? (SHOCKED GASPS)
WOMAN G: Well, I do, and she's been living in sin with another lesbian, and I got their wedding invitation in the mail today!
WOMEN H AND I: (SHOCKED GASPS)
WOMAN G: Well, I called her right up and I told her I love her from the bottom of my heart but I will most certainly not come to her so-called wedding and support her evil, Satanic lifestyle, and that I would pray that Jesus wipe her filthy heart clean.
WOMAN I: SATAN IS GAY!!!!

I hear these same conversations daily. Sometimes it makes me mad, other times it makes me laugh. Just depends on my mood at the time, I guess.

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
[+] 3 users Like TurkeyBurner's post
19-03-2016, 07:54 PM
I live in south Alabama. Everyone goes to church down here. I go to make my husband happy. For the first time, I did not take communion. I felt it was showing respect for the tradition. I am sure the more that I do not take it, the more looks I will get. I really do not care TBH.

My family knows and it has been tough on my parents. My husband worries that I will die before I can return to the faith and go to hell. We do not talk about it much. Our marriage is good, nothing has changed except I am no longer a christian. I do not go around telling anyone...but if I get asked, I will be honest. Now my inlaws...I won't ever tell them. If they somehow find out, I won't deny it. I could see them encouraging my husband to leave me and not be unequally yoked.

I looked up groups in my area. Sadly an hour drive and they only meet on Sunday mornings. Sad
23-03-2016, 12:14 AM
(19-03-2016 07:54 PM)SallyBr0wn Wrote:  I live in south Alabama. Everyone goes to church down here. I go to make my husband happy. For the first time, I did not take communion. I felt it was showing respect for the tradition. I am sure the more that I do not take it, the more looks I will get. I really do not care TBH.

My family knows and it has been tough on my parents. My husband worries that I will die before I can return to the faith and go to hell. We do not talk about it much. Our marriage is good, nothing has changed except I am no longer a christian. I do not go around telling anyone...but if I get asked, I will be honest. Now my inlaws...I won't ever tell them. If they somehow find out, I won't deny it. I could see them encouraging my husband to leave me and not be unequally yoked.

I looked up groups in my area. Sadly an hour drive and they only meet on Sunday mornings. Sad
It's hard being atheist in that area. My family is in middle Alabama... it's terrible.

Do you see you and your husband being able to discuss religion at any point in the future?