Bible Belt Atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-03-2016, 11:04 AM
RE: Bible Belt Atheists
(23-03-2016 12:14 AM)mecanna Wrote:  It's hard being atheist in that area. My family is in middle Alabama... it's terrible.

Do you see you and your husband being able to discuss religion at any point in the future?

We have spoken about it. Maybe, 4x. One of those was me stating I was having doubts. What happened then, I started moving away from my faith and eventually leaving it. He moved towards it. Only listens to christian music (playing it in the house and car) reading more christian books, reading the bible everyday. Posting bible verses.

He is REALLY intelligent. So, I do alright defending my thoughts and what I have read, but it is hard with how crazy smart he is. My one son listened in one time and said I did a great job, but I think every square inch of my brain is burning! haha!

I think what works best is to not discuss it. He is happier that way and I am sure I do not look as bitchy. He wants the marriage to work, so this is the best route. Saying that, he does want me to go to church, he does invite me to go to other christian events, he has bought me little christian jewelry things to wear. These are all things he did before my deconversion, so I accept it as his way of showing love.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-03-2016, 07:23 AM
I was born and raised in New England ,but now I live in Tennessee. I love it here but the religious bigotry is overwhelming.
I was a born-again Christian for many years but, I just couldn't live with my doubts and fears that this was all bullshit. Turns out...it was.

Now, I feel like a mountain has been lifted from my shoulders. I see religion for what it is, just silly superstition. Just Human kinds way to deal with death, and knowing that this is it, there's nothing after this.

I never tell anyone that I'm an Atheist until I get to know them pretty well but, more important to me is that they get to know ME!
When I tell them it's always the same response..."But Steve, your such a good guy"!!!
I am the same man I was as before I became a Christian, while I was a Christian, and now as an Atheist. Funny how they think that without god you're just so much Human garbage . I am a good man because that is what I decided to be long ago. No freakin deity involved.
[+] 1 user Likes Lost the Faith's post
30-03-2016, 03:06 AM
I'm attending a CDL school. We get recruiters from various companies pop in to explain the benefits of their company. One in particular really pushes their "high Christian morals and ethics". The recruiter explained that the owner is a Mormon. Their brochure shows one of their trucks parked in front of a church...I was really turned off by the in-your-face religious overtones. WTF? Would I have to wear special underwear while I drove their truck? Would I be awarded my very own planet after a long stint with their company(sarcasm)? More importantly, would I be ostracized for my stance on religion? I checked them off my mental list of companies that I want to work for.
[+] 2 users Like Captain Congo's post
05-04-2016, 02:49 PM
(15-10-2015 08:24 AM)Octapulse Wrote:  Welcome y'all!

I know there are many here that live in the uber-religious south and I wanted to get a discussion going about our experiences here in Dixie. Myself, I am still in the closet because both of my parents are dying right now and it just wouldn't be the best time to spring this on everybody. Once I do come out it will most likely mean the end of my marriage and then I will be more free to be physically engaged in battling religious entitlement. I would like to eventually start a coalition of southern free thinkers as a place for mutual support, empowerment and action. I understand the south can be a rough place for free thinkers and I hope to uncover what that looks like in each of your lives. Or if you even want to talk about why you choose not to come out. The thread is open to whatever direction you want to take it.

Grab some sweet tea, pull up a rocking chair and get cozy! Big Grin

[Image: super_skeptic_dixie_pic.jpg?w=300]

I cannot fully understand what it is like where you are. I am pretty ballsy about letting people know where I stand on belief. I was out in Iowa back in September. I tried the whole time I was there to stay off the subject of religion, because I thought in that state everyone was either uber religious or deep in the closet. After all, we were there to visit my wife's family and her family here in New Jersey is religious although not devout enough to object to her marrying an atheist. My own wife outed me the second to last day. The overwhelming response was "We knew there was a reason we liked him.". There are more atheists in than you would expect in those areas. That being said, my wife knew my thoughts before we were married. If she left me when we were just dating, I had nothing to lose. I would have just found someone else.
20-06-2016, 06:13 AM
(02-03-2016 08:02 AM)jariel Wrote:  I'm in Lynchburg, Virginia, the late Jerry Falwell's playground...
I live in an apartment building for low-income seniors. Out of 74 tenants, I'm the only non-Christian. I would say 99.999 of those Christians are evangelical.
Here are three conversations I heard in the lobby yesterday.

Conversation 1:
WOMAN A: When I woke up a few mornings ago, I had some bug bites. I couldn't figure out what in the world was biting me. I hadn't seen any bugs in my apartment. So I prayed to Jesus, and fasted for a day, and this morning I found that bug on my wall, sitting right there in a little crack. PRAISE JESUS!!!!! He loves us SO MUCH!
WOMEN B & C: HALLELUJAH! PRAISE JEEEE-SUUUUUUUUSSS!

Conversation 2:
WOMAN C: I've been praying for a month that my granddaughter's health insurance would come through. And Jesus moved in her life, and this morning she found out she got her health insurance! PRAISE JESUS!
WOMEN D, E & F: HALLELUJAH! Praise JEEEEE-SUUUUUSSSS!!!!

Conversation 3:
WOMAN G: Did y'all know I have a lesbian niece?
WOMEN H AND I: Noooo! You do? (SHOCKED GASPS)
WOMAN G: Well, I do, and she's been living in sin with another lesbian, and I got their wedding invitation in the mail today!
WOMEN H AND I: (SHOCKED GASPS)
WOMAN G: Well, I called her right up and I told her I love her from the bottom of my heart but I will most certainly not come to her so-called wedding and support her evil, Satanic lifestyle, and that I would pray that Jesus wipe her filthy heart clean.
WOMAN I: SATAN IS GAY!!!!

yup sounds about right when it comes to the bible belt
my daughter works in an office and one of her co-workers in particular is such a biggot its almost unbearable to hear my daughter tell of her comments
the trans-gender bathroom issue was in the news a lot lately and this co-worker ended up getting into it with my daughter who calmly let her know how she felt
this woman however was determined to keep it up and even a supervisor and her shared their biggoted comments loudly in front of everyone in the office referring to a supposedly trans worker in the warehouse and said trans people are "its". my daughter had enough and reported them to Human Resources. that put a stop to that hostile work environment
[+] 6 users Like EmberImpressions's post
20-06-2016, 07:00 AM
(23-03-2016 11:04 AM)SallyBr0wn Wrote:  
(23-03-2016 12:14 AM)mecanna Wrote:  It's hard being atheist in that area. My family is in middle Alabama... it's terrible.

Do you see you and your husband being able to discuss religion at any point in the future?

We have spoken about it. Maybe, 4x. One of those was me stating I was having doubts. What happened then, I started moving away from my faith and eventually leaving it. He moved towards it. Only listens to christian music (playing it in the house and car) reading more christian books, reading the bible everyday. Posting bible verses.

He is REALLY intelligent. So, I do alright defending my thoughts and what I have read, but it is hard with how crazy smart he is. My one son listened in one time and said I did a great job, but I think every square inch of my brain is burning! haha!

I think what works best is to not discuss it. He is happier that way and I am sure I do not look as bitchy. He wants the marriage to work, so this is the best route. Saying that, he does want me to go to church, he does invite me to go to other christian events, he has bought me little christian jewelry things to wear. These are all things he did before my deconversion, so I accept it as his way of showing love.

I thought I had it rough. My wife is a very weak believer. The only time we argue about religion is when she gets me to go to church and then I poke holes in the sermon. I only poke holes because she decides to debate me.
20-06-2016, 12:01 PM
16 year old from the north east corner of Arkansas. Atheist is practically a curse word here.

I are teh Kong erve te Mewountarns arve Abesirdieity. Al erve dem degeahns sher bert B-4 may. Ivre yarp yurndarctood zert, garve yarpelf r cerrcay. Translation: I am the Kong of the Mountains of Absurdity. All of the dragons shall bow before me. If you understood this(that^, not this) then give a Sear Key.
[+] 1 user Likes The Random One's post
20-06-2016, 12:03 PM
(20-06-2016 07:00 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  I thought I had it rough. My wife is a very weak believer. The only time we argue about religion is when she gets me to go to church and then I poke holes in the sermon. I only poke holes because she decides to debate me.

People don't like it when someone pokes holes in their life raft. Even if it's done to show how flimsy the material it's made out of is.

I are teh Kong erve te Mewountarns arve Abesirdieity. Al erve dem degeahns sher bert B-4 may. Ivre yarp yurndarctood zert, garve yarpelf r cerrcay. Translation: I am the Kong of the Mountains of Absurdity. All of the dragons shall bow before me. If you understood this(that^, not this) then give a Sear Key.
[+] 1 user Likes The Random One's post
20-06-2016, 12:20 PM
(20-06-2016 12:01 PM)The Random One Wrote:  16 year old from the north east corner of Arkansas. Atheist is practically a curse word here.

It's the same way here in northeast Louisiana (Howdy neighbor!).

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
20-06-2016, 12:34 PM
I have to ask. You are 16 years old in the bible belt. You have as I imagine it always been surrounded by people who sincerely believe. Everyone from your parents and teachers to the other kids you grew up with. How exactly did you manage to pull yourself out and become an atheist? I have to give you credit. Most people never pull themselves out of it, as I am sure you have seen.