Bible Belt Heathen

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-06-2012, 11:44 AM
Bible Belt Heathen
Hello, My name is Danny, and I'm an Atheist.
(crowd: "Hello, Danny!)

Been skeptical since childhood, self-identified as agnostic since my early 20's, and finally admitted to myself that I was really an atheist in the past couple of years. Married to a longtime atheist, which helps immeasurably.

Moved from Seattle to Slidell, Louisiana a couple of years ago to be near my 2 oldest kids (ages 9 & 6, who moved near here with their mom), and I feel like I'm in hell. The religous/conservative/bigoted/whacko-right-wing environment is absolutely oppressive. I looked for a support/meeting group near here, but the closest one is in New Orleans, about an hour away. With the long hours I work, having a 2-year-old at home, and my weekends taken up by spending what little time I'm allow with my kids, it just isn't practical for me to meet in New Orleans.

I'd be happy to start up a group in my area, but I'm having a hard time locating others of my "persuasion." Registered on AtheistNexus & put out the word, so I'm hoping to find others in my area. It is really, really hard, not having anyone I can be open with & vent to, as I'm bludgeoned with christianity on a daily basis. Can't really be openly militant, fearing the backlash on my children. ARRRGH! I also happen to work in possibly the most conservative field outside of church, the federal government, whcih is also difficult. I've been the tattooed, earring-wearing, and often long-haired freak in my office for many years, but in Seattle, I just kinda blended in with the rest of the liberal masses. Here, I'm the total square peg in a round hole, so to speak.

Just discovered Seth's podcasts this week, and have been devouring them on my daily 1 hour (each way) commute. It has helped me feel like I'm not the Omega Man quite as much. Thumbsup Guess I often lean a little more towards the slightly angry atheist type, as I'm not only a little torqued at the hypocritical oppressiveness and wide pervasiveness of religion around me, I'm genuinely concerned for my kids growing up in this environment. I'm not going to go around burning upside-down crosses on people's lawns or anything, but occasionally, I do get the urge to drive by the mega-churches with a loudspeaker, shouting "Don't be misled! There is no god, and these guys in Rolexes driving Benzes are not your salvation! THINK FOR YOURSELF, see the evidence in front of your face, and quit wasting your lives & corrupting your children!!!!"

Then, the daydream passes, and I keep on driving, resisting the urge to beat my head against a brick wall in futility. You cannot heal blindess in those unwilling to see.

Anyhoot, here I is, and I'll probably lurk & read more than pontificate (this post aside!), but I'd love to hook up with other like-minded individuals in my area. The wife & I would be willing to host get-togethers, as we feel that we lack the community of support that the churchgoers all seem to have built-in. Glad to be here, & hope to learn by reading what you've all posted.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like DannyW's post
14-06-2012, 11:50 AM
RE: Bible Belt Heathen
Hey welcome to the forum.
14-06-2012, 12:00 PM
Welcome aboard Danny

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
14-06-2012, 01:00 PM
Welcome. Good to have you
14-06-2012, 01:52 PM
Howdy!

[Image: opforum1.png]
14-06-2012, 03:52 PM
Welcome Dan-o!

[Image: vjp09.gif]
14-06-2012, 03:56 PM
Welcome Smile
14-06-2012, 07:14 PM
(14-06-2012 11:44 AM)DannyW Wrote:  Anyhoot, here I is, and I'll probably lurk & read more than pontificate (this post aside!), but I'd love to hook up with other like-minded individuals in my area. The wife & I would be willing to host get-togethers, as we feel that we lack the community of support that the churchgoers all seem to have built-in. Glad to be here, & hope to learn by reading what you've all posted.
Sweet. We've been looking for a place to hold this year's TTA orgy.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
14-06-2012, 09:20 PM
...Moo?

Under Repair.
[+] 1 user Likes itsacow's post
14-06-2012, 09:28 PM
Welcome! I can relate to the isolation and the backlash on the wee ones. Hope you can find at least something here at TTA to help!