Bible Belted from Day 1

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-02-2014, 02:47 PM
Music Bible Belted from Day 1
Hi, I'm new here on the site. I wanted to post this on facebook because my "new found" disbelief is quickly becoming a big part of who I am, but, like so many others, I choose not to risk the relationships of my loved ones. I have been catching up on old podcasts "religiously" for the past month or so trying to reprogram my brain from all that I was told to believe about the Christian religion, faith, and all the other bullshit apologies that go along with it.

First of all I want to sincerely thank you Seth, and all of the other infidels that may read this. Your stories and different takes on religion/faith have helped to lead me down this path of which I once thought I could never explore. Bowing

My journey started, like most, when I was a child. I was raised in a devout Church of Christ home. My parents made sure that my sister and I were in church on Sunday morning, Sunday night, and most Wednesday nights for as far back as I can remember until I graduated high school and went off to college on my own. While I always had questions about my religion growing up, I was always told that my faith was the only thing I needed and through that faith god would answer any and all of my questions. I bought in and was baptized around 12 yrs old.

My first love, however, was baseball and all I wanted to do since I was a kid was play in college. So when I got the chance to play at a Christian university I considered it a Win/Win. Now, this is where my questioning really started to get to me. From the moment I arrived on campus I began seeing the hypocrisy. You know what I'm talking about, the kind that you can only see from being in a chapel sitting next to a buddy who just convinced you to smoke your first joint at a party the night before and he starts raising his hands and closing his eye's to the first hallelujah, god is great, praise song that comes up in the required morning worship service. To be fair... my problem wasn't/isn't with the joint. After all mary jane is a creation from the almighty himself, right? No, my problem was when his parents found his pot and he told them it was mine and they proceeded to call my parents and tell them what a bad influence I was on their son! I never even got an apology from him, but then again I don't think it was my forgiveness he even cared about. That being said, I do forgive him and I don't need god or jesus for that! That is just a rambling snippet of the hypocrisy that I witnessed at this so called Institute of "Higher" learning. I could go on and on about what I REALLY learned at that school from beginning to end, but, sadly there is no PhD program for that type of education!

I'm 32 years old now, 20 years from being "saved", and still waiting for those answers... Well until I stumbled onto this community where answers fly at you like golf balls fly at that poor guy on the cart at the driving range! I privately buried myself in TTA videos, podcasts, and lectures to the point where I have to tell someone... Anyone who will listen! Seth, "Get them while they're young" is capital -B-, Brilliant! It was so well thought out and put together that I couldn't help but dig further and further into this topic. It has become my new passion. It sickens me to know what I know about fear based marketing, and to think that these poor young people are being driven to take the same route that I, and so many others were duped into taking. It's like driving down a long dirt road in the rain and getting stuck in the mud a thousand times only to reach the big blinking sign that say's "Dead End". Luckily though Seth and TTA community are like a superhighway back to sanity where I can look back at all the places I got stuck in the past and flip them off as I fly by!

I'm hoping I get the chance to go to the Amarillo conference so I can meet others in my area who share the same joy for life and freedom from religion that I have so recently discovered.

Thank you,
JebusFreak
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like JebusFreak's post
13-02-2014, 03:04 PM
RE: Bible Belted from Day 1
Welcome Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
13-02-2014, 03:24 PM
Well said, sir, well said.

Welcome to sanity.

13-02-2014, 03:33 PM
(13-02-2014 03:24 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Welcome to sanity.

Ohmy
That might be going a bit far.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
13-02-2014, 03:50 PM
(13-02-2014 03:33 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(13-02-2014 03:24 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Welcome to sanity.

Ohmy

You dog, you.

Not saying TTA is sanity. OP said we are "like a superhighway back to sanity". I was talking about his (I assume 'his') personal mental state.

But OK... welcome to the superhighway, hitch a ride.

13-02-2014, 04:18 PM
Welcome to the forum, and to a new realistic normal life again. Thumbsup

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
13-02-2014, 05:14 PM
Well done and welcome aboard!

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
13-02-2014, 05:18 PM
(13-02-2014 03:50 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(13-02-2014 03:33 PM)morondog Wrote:  Ohmy

You dog, you.

Not saying TTA is sanity. OP said we are "like a superhighway back to sanity". I was talking about his (I assume 'his') personal mental state.

But OK... welcome to the superhighway, hitch a ride.

Thank you, and yes... I am a 'he'. Although maybe I shouldn't have said "back" to sanity since it was never offered in the first place!
[+] 2 users Like JebusFreak's post
13-02-2014, 05:27 PM
Welcome,

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
13-02-2014, 07:24 PM
Welcome. Don't let some of these weirdos scare you off.