Bible Contradicitons and more

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-03-2013, 12:29 PM
Bible Contradicitons and more
This site has been posting 1 Bible contradiction a day and explaining it with modern source-critical and historical-critical scholarship -- an excellent resourse. Thought I'd share it. The site is still going through the contradictions in Genesis (http://contradictionsinthebible.com/category/genesis/) and just posted toady's (#72). Will be starting the contradictions in the book of Exodus at #85.
cheers

1 Bible contradiction a day -- identified & explained !! http://contradictionsinthebible.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like srd44's post
18-03-2013, 05:33 AM
RE: Bible Contradicitons and more
(13-03-2013 12:29 PM)srd44 Wrote:  This site has been posting 1 Bible contradiction a day and explaining it with modern source-critical and historical-critical scholarship -- an excellent resourse. Thought I'd share it. The site is still going through the contradictions in Genesis (http://contradictionsinthebible.com/category/genesis/) and just posted toady's (#72). Will be starting the contradictions in the book of Exodus at #85.
cheers

Thanks!
22-04-2013, 09:49 AM
(13-03-2013 12:29 PM)srd44 Wrote:  This site has been posting 1 Bible contradiction a day and explaining it with modern source-critical and historical-critical scholarship -- an excellent resourse. Thought I'd share it. The site is still going through the contradictions in Genesis (http://contradictionsinthebible.com/category/genesis/) and just posted toady's (#72). Will be starting the contradictions in the book of Exodus at #85.
cheers

This is an extremely impressive site, put together by someone who clearly knows what he's talking about, with the kind of credentials that create credibility. Here's the author's bio, from his blog:

http://stevendimattei.com/author/

Donning my Sherlock Holmes hat, I suspect that the OP knows Dr. DiMattei fairly well. Wink If that's the case, could you tell us something about his interest in or connection to atheism? Merci!

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
Find all posts by this user
22-04-2013, 11:20 AM
Hadda go over there and run my neck. Cause I got plenty. Thumbsup

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
22-04-2013, 11:29 AM
The fact that someone has to compile such arguments to defend a holy book essentially proves that the holy book was not divinely authored, but written by fallible humans. If there were a god that created the universe, Earth, and humans, and then wrote (or dictated) a book to share with mankind what he had done and how he did it the book would be absolutely flawless. The book would have been written in every language, present and future, contain no contradictions, and refer to undiscovered phenomena. We don't have such a book.

What we have are books written by many different men over hundreds of years and contain contradictions that require interpretation and defending in order to try to keep the "divine" word believable. We have ancient scrolls that have been omitted from the "word of god" (e.g.: the books of Simon and Judah). We have multiple stories and depictions that have to be described as simple metaphor instead of literal truth because we can now prove them false through logic and/or scientific knowledge.

If I created everything that is, my book would be flawless. Any god worthy of worship should also have such a book.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
[+] 1 user Likes Jeffasaurus's post
22-04-2013, 12:19 PM
(22-04-2013 11:29 AM)Jeffasaurus Wrote:  The fact that someone has to compile such arguments to defend a holy book essentially proves that the holy book was not divinely authored, but written by fallible humans. If there were a god that created the universe, Earth, and humans, and then wrote (or dictated) a book to share with mankind what he had done and how he did it the book would be absolutely flawless. The book would have been written in every language, present and future, contain no contradictions, and refer to undiscovered phenomena. We don't have such a book.

What we have are books written by many different men over hundreds of years and contain contradictions that require interpretation and defending in order to try to keep the "divine" word believable. We have ancient scrolls that have been omitted from the "word of god" (e.g.: the books of Simon and Judah). We have multiple stories and depictions that have to be described as simple metaphor instead of literal truth because we can now prove them false through logic and/or scientific knowledge.

If I created everything that is, my book would be flawless. Any god worthy of worship should also have such a book.

I agree completely. But if I'm reading you correctly, I think you're misinterpreting the author's intent when he talks about "explaining" the contradictions. He's not trying to "explain them away"–he's no apologist. Rather, he acknowledges that the contradictions are real, and explains how they probably arose–that is, how different authors with different perspectives, agendas, axes to grind, etc., contributed contradictory input to what we have today as the Bible.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
22-04-2013, 02:58 PM
(22-04-2013 12:19 PM)cufflink Wrote:  I agree completely. But if I'm reading you correctly, I think you're misinterpreting the author's intent when he talks about "explaining" the contradictions. He's not trying to "explain them away"–he's no apologist. Rather, he acknowledges that the contradictions are real, and explains how they probably arose–that is, how different authors with different perspectives, agendas, axes to grind, etc., contributed contradictory input to what we have today as the Bible.

Since I didn't read anywhere anything regarding the author's intent, yes, it's possible that I'm perceiving something different than his true intentions. As you gleaned from my post, I thought that he does come off as an apologist trying to debunk the contradictions and make them palatable for the believers. Granted, I only read a couple of his reconciliations, but I would think a common reason for the vast number of contradictions would be attested to them being scribed by different people separated by decades and centuries with no means of directly sharing source material.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
22-04-2013, 07:13 PM
(22-04-2013 02:58 PM)Jeffasaurus Wrote:  
(22-04-2013 12:19 PM)cufflink Wrote:  I agree completely. But if I'm reading you correctly, I think you're misinterpreting the author's intent when he talks about "explaining" the contradictions. He's not trying to "explain them away"–he's no apologist. Rather, he acknowledges that the contradictions are real, and explains how they probably arose–that is, how different authors with different perspectives, agendas, axes to grind, etc., contributed contradictory input to what we have today as the Bible.

Since I didn't read anywhere anything regarding the author's intent, yes, it's possible that I'm perceiving something different than his true intentions. As you gleaned from my post, I thought that he does come off as an apologist trying to debunk the contradictions and make them palatable for the believers. Granted, I only read a couple of his reconciliations, but I would think a common reason for the vast number of contradictions would be attested to them being scribed by different people separated by decades and centuries with no means of directly sharing source material.

In actuality, the biblical texts and traditions themselves never get a fair shot at telling their unique stories, theological programs, etc. because they have been co-opted by this imposing interpretive lens that has already prejudged them to be no “them” at all—that is, not texts—but a single “it,”

Read more at: What is the Bible? | Contradictions in the Bible
http://contradictionsinthebible.com/what-is-the-bible/

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
22-04-2013, 10:48 PM
cheers

Thank you! I just love these. Smile
22-04-2013, 11:19 PM
Awesome link. Already sent a suggestion to our library to add this. Thanks for the find.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRAJ3tiKcUyGH6uQH7eZRo...M5Ryim_i1w]

Just an outsider looking inn.
[+] 1 user Likes Foxcanine1's post