Bible Contradicitons and more

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-04-2013, 01:42 AM
RE: Bible Contradicitons and more
(22-04-2013 02:58 PM)Jeffasaurus Wrote:  
(22-04-2013 12:19 PM)cufflink Wrote:  I agree completely. But if I'm reading you correctly, I think you're misinterpreting the author's intent when he talks about "explaining" the contradictions. He's not trying to "explain them away"–he's no apologist. Rather, he acknowledges that the contradictions are real, and explains how they probably arose–that is, how different authors with different perspectives, agendas, axes to grind, etc., contributed contradictory input to what we have today as the Bible.

Since I didn't read anywhere anything regarding the author's intent, yes, it's possible that I'm perceiving something different than his true intentions. As you gleaned from my post, I thought that he does come off as an apologist trying to debunk the contradictions and make them palatable for the believers. Granted, I only read a couple of his reconciliations, but I would think a common reason for the vast number of contradictions would be attested to them being scribed by different people separated by decades and centuries with no means of directly sharing source material.

Matthei is an atheist. He has a blog at Think Atheist. If you read across the top of the page referenced above, he uses the Documentary Hypothesis to pull apart the texts, and explain why they ended up the way they did. He's no "apologist". Smile

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-04-2013, 06:34 PM
(23-04-2013 01:42 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(22-04-2013 02:58 PM)Jeffasaurus Wrote:  Since I didn't read anywhere anything regarding the author's intent, yes, it's possible that I'm perceiving something different than his true intentions. As you gleaned from my post, I thought that he does come off as an apologist trying to debunk the contradictions and make them palatable for the believers. Granted, I only read a couple of his reconciliations, but I would think a common reason for the vast number of contradictions would be attested to them being scribed by different people separated by decades and centuries with no means of directly sharing source material.

Matthei is an atheist. He has a blog at Think Atheist. If you read across the top of the page referenced above, he uses the Documentary Hypothesis to pull apart the texts, and explain why they ended up the way they did. He's no "apologist". Smile

Okay, fine. I'm sorry for any misunderstanding. His credibility just increased.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
25-04-2013, 02:31 PM
(13-03-2013 12:29 PM)srd44 Wrote:  This site has been posting 1 Bible contradiction a day and explaining it with modern source-critical and historical-critical scholarship -- an excellent resourse. Thought I'd share it. The site is still going through the contradictions in Genesis (http://contradictionsinthebible.com/category/genesis/) and just posted toady's (#72). Will be starting the contradictions in the book of Exodus at #85.
cheers
I have not been able to access the site. Every time I try my computer locks up. Could I have some virus in my computer that hates this site?

I've tried both clicking on the link and typing the URL in. Same result either way.

Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice Is also great
And would suffice. -- Robert Frost
25-04-2013, 03:29 PM
(25-04-2013 02:31 PM)f stop Wrote:  
(13-03-2013 12:29 PM)srd44 Wrote:  This site has been posting 1 Bible contradiction a day and explaining it with modern source-critical and historical-critical scholarship -- an excellent resourse. Thought I'd share it. The site is still going through the contradictions in Genesis (http://contradictionsinthebible.com/category/genesis/) and just posted toady's (#72). Will be starting the contradictions in the book of Exodus at #85.
cheers
I have not been able to access the site. Every time I try my computer locks up. Could I have some virus in my computer that hates this site?

I've tried both clicking on the link and typing the URL in. Same result either way.

Your compy's possessed by Jesus. I can do an exorcism for ya for $19.959995...

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user