Bible Fight!!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-12-2011, 03:30 PM
RE: Bible Fight!!!
I have read the bible lots...

But Sad any Christian would kick my ass at theology. I have no motivation to go into esoteric reasons why Nephilim did what to human women - only someone for whom (a) they wish to believe the bible (b) the biblical stuff on nephilim seems a bit sketchy will be motivated to read up and think about this. I personally just think "another random bible legend" and carry on my merry way.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-12-2011, 03:33 PM (This post was last modified: 22-12-2011 03:36 PM by Lilith Pride.)
Well the nephilim are never really said to have done anything in the bible. In genesis they are said to exist at the birth of man. and later on the children of them (not them themselves) assail the jews. It really does not make for a very long heated argument unless you add in a bunch of other stuff. For instance Enoch.
I could seriously make a christian backed argument against this claim by saying that the nephilim are not described to have done anything you say sir you're either out of your mind or this is due to those devil books you catholics try to add into the word of god.

As long as I'm not catholic there's no basis for any importance to their role in the bible.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 2 users Like Lilith Pride's post
23-12-2011, 01:06 AM
(22-12-2011 01:40 PM)germanyt Wrote:  I'd be shocked if everyone on this forum has not read the Bible cover to cover.

Why? When about half of Americans can identify Genesis as the first book of the bible, I doubt a large percentage of them have actually read it. And as we atheists don't have to follow it, it makes sense that few of us would read it.

I didn't mean to insult anyone. I read a lot of posts and see very few direct bible quotes or even arguments against bible scripture that aren't already made by Hitchens and Dawkins. I assumed few had read it, and it made sense that this thread was quiet as a result of that. If I'm wrong, it's because those who are arguing with me have not proven otherwise, at least not from what I've observed. Anyone can simply claim that they've read it. That's not evidence.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-12-2011, 02:14 AM
(22-12-2011 03:17 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  I'd play along with you, good thought king, really. It's great for people to try to follow the alternative view, but it's not working out and at the moment I'm not up for it. As an anthropologist though I'd be game if this discussion had gone anywhere.

Oh also, the nephilim are a really bad choice for starters. Almost none of the bible discusses them so you actually need to use extrabiblical sources to have a serious discussion on them.

My suggestion would've been Job, if you can get a bunch of atheists defending god's part in that story, then you've gotten somewhere =p

This sounds like an intriguing thought exercise.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
24-12-2011, 02:03 AM
(22-12-2011 03:17 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  I'd play along with you, good thought king, really. It's great for people to try to follow the alternative view, but it's not working out and at the moment I'm not up for it. As an anthropologist though I'd be game if this discussion had gone anywhere.

Oh also, the nephilim are a really bad choice for starters. Almost none of the bible discusses them so you actually need to use extrabiblical sources to have a serious discussion on them.

My suggestion would've been Job, if you can get a bunch of atheists defending god's part in that story, then you've gotten somewhere =p

Well thanks... I guess we could do Job. Want to start?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
24-12-2011, 05:02 AM
well, so that I make a good concise argument let me read through Job a few times first. If I'm starting it off I better have a zinger.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 1 user Likes Lilith Pride's post
24-12-2011, 05:08 PM
I'm just posting because you used my avatar. Woot!!

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
[+] 2 users Like TarzanSmith's post
24-12-2011, 10:10 PM
THE BOOK OF JOB - GOD'S DEFENSE

First of all, this is a very great story for both baby and veteran Christians alike. I've heard people ask "Why was God talking to Satan in the first place?" Well, good question! You have to remember the phrase "...keep your enemies closer". How wise is our Lord! God focused on Job because he loved God with his everything - the perfect Christian. God tested Job's faith through tiny inconveniences, something that shouldn't shake your faith if you were a TRUE Christian! God became angry only because Job's faith was shaken - it wasn't God's fault! It's up to US to love our Lord with our mind, heart and soul and live everyday for Him.

So there are two morals to this story: no matter what miniscule inconveniences God may send your way, you must retain your faith. God's Will be done. And the other moral is that since even Satan can manipulate God (ever so slightly I might add, for God is the most powerful force in this universe!) Satan can control YOU! Don't let yourself be controlled by evil - love Him with all your heart, mind and soul and you'll be rewarded in the afterlife.

See? It's easy! You just have to use logic and reason and you'll see God is great. Silly atheists, go murder some people, you immoral heathens!

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan
[+] 3 users Like Alaskan Atheist's post
25-12-2011, 12:22 AM (This post was last modified: 25-12-2011 12:29 AM by kim.)
This is so damn weird; I was just going over this very story in a fine dramatization done with Legos.
After this... I really don't need any convincing.
Legos speak the truth. Angel
Lego thingy

However, in Job 38:1 -
When God says, "Gird your loins like a man and I will question you, and you will answer me!" ... I think should have ended with "Muthafucka" for effect. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
25-12-2011, 12:38 AM
I don't know about Job. It's a weird story. Back when I was a Christian, it was said that Job was such a great guy, but the more I read it, the less I see Job as a hero. I don't really feel so bad when he loses all his stuff.

I have a daughter, though, whom I love more than myself. The idea of "replacement children" just doesn't sit well with me, nor the idea of losing her just so God can prove a point.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user