Bible Passage?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-03-2011, 08:10 PM
Bible Passage?
I seem to remember there being a passage that said as time goes further on, Yhwh shortens the lives of men so they won't have to bear the spread of godlessness (by logic also meaning that at the end times, men will have the shortest average lifespan than they've ever had in the history of the world).

I think of this every time my friends/family post something on Facebook about this being the end times, or my friend saying he's not worrying about when he gets old because he believes Jesus will come back before that happens, or when I read about how we're actually making breakthroughs on the medical quest for immortality and how unforeseen problems are occurring medically because people are just living longer to experience new problems.

I specifically remember hearing this verse (I could swear it was a verse) at least twice from different sources (preachers), but despite my searching I can't find it to chuckle at. Were these claims just made my the preachers without Biblical backing, or am I just searching for the wrong things? Anyone else at least heard of this same theological claim?

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-03-2011, 09:49 PM
RE: Bible Passage?
I don't remember such a verse. I do remember that many biblical characters lived for hundreds of years. Do you think that someone may have told you about people living shorter lives because we are not living as long as those mythical characters?

PS. It is more likely that the number system back then was not universal and the word meaning 10 in one area meant 100 in another. That would mean a 60 year old would be written down and people from another area would think he was 600 years old.

Even today there is a problem with the word billion between the American and British meanings. The American meaning seems to be the standard now, which is a recent occurance.

Billion may refer to:

In numbers:

Long and short scales
1,000,000,000 (number), one thousand million, 10 to the power of 9, in the short scale (most common meaning)
1,000,000,000,000 (number), one million million, 10 to the power of 12, in the long scale (seldom used in contemporary English)

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
Find all posts by this user
19-03-2011, 11:29 PM
(19-03-2011 08:10 PM)ebilekittae Wrote:  I seem to remember there being a passage that said as time goes further on, Yhwh shortens the lives of men so they won't have to bear the spread of godlessness (by logic also meaning that at the end times, men will have the shortest average lifespan than they've ever had in the history of the world).

I don't know about the reasoning, but in genesis somewhere I think there is a verse explaining why we don't live as long as Adam and Eve.

(19-03-2011 08:10 PM)ebilekittae Wrote:  ... or my friend saying he's not worrying about when he gets old because he believes Jesus will come back before that happens...

Yeah, say that to the disciples.

(19-03-2011 08:10 PM)ebilekittae Wrote:  ... or when I read about how we're actually making breakthroughs on the medical quest for immortality and how unforeseen problems are occurring medically because people are just living longer to experience new problems.

I don't know about the medical quest for immortality, but we are curing the diseases and general problems that limited the lives of our ancestors dramatically. Just living longer to experience new problems? You mean to say that people live longer and experience problems due to their increasing age? The reason we experience more health problems as we age, somewhat exponentially, is that we were never supposed to live as long as we do now. Cancers that hit at age ~40 were never really selected against as people were either infertile or dead, so as to not be affected by the cancers presence.
Aside from that, we know alot about what causes us to age, I think its related to telomeres shortening..

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
20-03-2011, 01:28 AM
Thanks guys, maybe there wasn't an actual verse, then. It's a pity, I really hoped there was. Tongue

daemonowner Wrote:
ebilekittae Wrote:... or my friend saying he's not worrying about when he gets old because he believes Jesus will come back before that happens...

Yeah, say that to the disciples.

I know, right? Tongue He won't listen to reason, though. Otherwise he wouldn't be a fundamentalist. Tongue

ebilekittae Wrote:...just living longer to experience new problems.

I'm really not sure why I typed that "just" there, I mean it to read like it's not there. Tongue As for my bit about medical quest for immortality, it just seems like that's the purpose of medicine in general--to make sue we progress against mortality. We're winning the fight more and more. Tongue Whether or not literal immortality can ever be reached is far above my head for me to argue for or against, but who knows what advancements we'll have in another millennium (if we don't all kill each other before then Dx).

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
22-03-2011, 01:45 PM
(19-03-2011 08:10 PM)ebilekittae Wrote:  I seem to remember there being a passage that said as time goes further on, Yhwh shortens the lives of men so they won't have to bear the spread of godlessness (by logic also meaning that at the end times, men will have the shortest average lifespan than they've ever had in the history of the world).
Perhaps you are thinking of Genesis 6:3,
Quote:Then the LORD said, “My Spirit shall not abide in man forever, for he is flesh: his days shall be 120 years.”
Some people interpret it to mean that the lifespan of humans will be limited to 120 years. But some think that it means there would only be another 120 years until the flood came and destroyed all those who were evil. Since many people lived to be more that 120 years old after this time it seems to me that the second interpretation is the correct one.

But it is true that the effects of sin have brought about a reduction in the human lifespan since we are no longer able to live as long as people lived before the flood. In recent years the average age people live has increased because of improvements in medicine, nutrition, and sanitation. But this doesn't mean there has been an increase in the length of time people can live. It simply means that fewer people are dying prematurely and more are living out their full lifespan.

(19-03-2011 09:49 PM)No J. Wrote:  PS. It is more likely that the number system back then was not universal and the word meaning 10 in one area meant 100 in another. That would mean a 60 year old would be written down and people from another area would think he was 600 years old.
Genesis 5:15 says,
Quote:When Mahalalel had lived 65 years, he fathered Jared.
That would mean that Mahalalel became a father when he was only 6 1/2 years old.

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
22-03-2011, 05:57 PM

Proverbs 10:27

Scroll down on the left side of the page to what's written beneath the heading: Commentary

Matthew Henry's Whole Bible Commentary

Verses 27-28

That should be what you're thinking of. Smile
Quote this message in a reply
23-03-2011, 12:41 AM
(22-03-2011 01:45 PM)theophilus Wrote:  
(19-03-2011 09:49 PM)No J. Wrote:  PS. It is more likely that the number system back then was not universal and the word meaning 10 in one area meant 100 in another. That would mean a 60 year old would be written down and people from another area would think he was 600 years old.
Genesis 5:15 says,
Quote:When Mahalalel had lived 65 years, he fathered Jared.
That would mean that Mahalalel became a father when he was only 6 1/2 years old.

Not all passage where translated from one region to another so not all numbers where subject to mistranslation. If you where the kind of expert in the bible that you try to pass yourself off as here, you would know that.

Even so, there is a few cases in the world where boys under seven years old have become fathers.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.