Bible Prophecies

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-05-2011, 03:44 AM
Bible Prophecies
Can anyone provide me with some non biased information on the 'Bible Prophecies' that fundies use to justify their beliefs? For example, in the gospel of Matthew, there was talk of the second temple's destruction in 70CE but the book of Matthew seems to have been written after the fact.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-05-2011, 05:12 PM (This post was last modified: 15-05-2011 05:25 PM by MasterRottweiler.)
RE: Bible Prophecies
Well, the reasoning behind bible prophecies is circular...

Quote: From Iron Chariots:
Most of the Messiah prophecies require us to accept what the Bible says at face value. So therefore they would only be convincing if you ALREADY accepted the Bible as true. This is an example of circular reasoning:

* We know the Bible is true because the prophecies in it were fulfilled. We know the prophecies in the Bible were fulfilled because it says that they were.

Also, this article contains some examples of biblical prophecies about Cheezus, Jebus, or whatever you call him Tongue, usually these bible verses are used by fundies in order to make the claim that bible prophecies are true, I hope you find it helpful. Full Article

Peace.

"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world.”
-Georgia Harkness.

"La fe es patrimonio de los pendejos. (Faith is patrimony of the dumbfucks)."
-Diego Rivera
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-05-2011, 05:21 PM
I find that most Bible prophecies that are thrown at me are laughably vague. I remember my grandma once claimed that "a great kingdom will fall" refers to the such and such empire of 1200 AD... but with "prophecies" that ambiguous, you've got a 100% chance of hitting.

I predict that "the people will rebel against their oppressors." Now let's see if this in-depth, specific prophecy is fulfilled, proving that I am God.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
15-05-2011, 06:06 PM

I think when considering the credibility of Bible Prophecy, one has to first realize the Bible is a closed canon.
Meaning, men elected what materials would comprise what became 66 books of god's final word to the human race. Take it on faith, men elected it but god said it.

After that, given Christianity is a fear based poorly drafted fiction that seeks to enslave believers minds into accepting they are damned for being human till they redeem their god given condition to his satisfaction all their days until they die, any scripture relating open ended broad sweeping subjective cataclysms within the four realms of the human condition; political, natural, religious, secular, one can easily find present day headlines to coincide with anything predicted to happen because at the forefront of all that occurs, sinful humans are responsible for god's wrath.

We're led to believe our god given sin separates us from god's love and grace. While our sinful behavior as a planetary community, garners his attentions enough that he fucks with us, because we deserve it.

Bible prophecy is the veil that falls over those who believe they're first doomed and damned at birth, because it leads them to believe no matter how hard they work to be good as an individual, the collective's behaviors can still garner punishment.

Trying to find validity in Bible Prophecy is like trying to spray paint Niagra falls, so as to frame a mosaic at the end of the day.

Ain't happening.
Why bother?
Quote this message in a reply
15-05-2011, 07:03 PM
I actually included this subject in a research paper, here is the excerpt:

Quote:The apologists like to believe they have an ace card, that proves that the Bible is true, and I will introduce it to you with one word, and I am going to guess that a good number of those reading this will laugh at that word. Prophecies. Did you laugh? Does Nostradamus or the Mayans come to mind? They claim that so many bible prophecies came true, that the odds are they should not have prove the bible true, however what they fail to mention every single time is the vagueness or self-fullfillingness of these prophecies and the prophecies that were not fulfilled. That is right! Prophecies in the Bible were not fulfilled. Isaiah 7:14 is unfulfilled, Jesus was never referred to as Immanuel in the New Testament, and he was named Jesus, not Immanuel. Isaiah 17:1 states that Damascus would become uninhabited, go ahead and Google Damascus, it has over 1 million inhabitants today! Isaiah 19: 4-5 refers to the Nile River drying up, I have one question, what is one of the largest rivers in the world? Isaiah 19:18 says that the Egyptians will speak the Canaanite language, this has never happened and now this language is dead. Ezekiel 10:11 says that Egypt will become uninhabited for 40 years, since the time of the writing that has not happened. Amos 9:15, the Jews have been pushed from their homeland many times and are in a conflict over their land right now. There are so many more unfulfilled prophecies that I have not addressed here and they are Isaiah 52:1, Jonah 3:4, Zechariah 11:12, Mathew 1: 22-23, Mathew 12:5, Mathew 24:34, Mathew 27:9, Mathew 26:64.
16-05-2011, 12:01 AM (This post was last modified: 16-05-2011 12:13 AM by daemonowner.)
(15-05-2011 05:21 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  I predict that "the people will rebel against their oppressors."

OMG! You predicted the riots in egypt!

But seriously, there are thousands of prophesies made, none of which are particularly convincing. Most of them are made after the fact. You hear this in the claims that the bible or quran predicted such and such scientific discovery, or the bible predicted something about israel. These are not hard to make. Given just how many discoveries have been made, and how many verses there are in the bible/quran, its not surprising that you can derive prophesies from such books, claiming incredible discovery.

Also, you hear of prophesies made like the various end-of-world prophesies, all of which have been wrong so far (including the one Jesus supposedly made). If they do manage to correlate a supposed prophesy with an event, then they will claim victory, forgetting (conveniently) that the world didn't end those hundreds of times and the predicted events (earthquakes, etc) didn't happen like predicted.

You also have to bear in mind that these are very vague. They won't want to get caught on anything specific, and by making it vague, they can always claim victory.
Those that do make specific claims like the recent popular end-of-world scares, always seem to hide and lose all the attention. Its common to see the predictions of earthquakes (like the recent aftershock prediction based on the moon) on the news, but you don't see them again on the news saying "damn, sorry I messed up".
Harold Camping, the calculator of the soon to pass may 21st prediction has already done this before, in 1994. He will likely do what he and so many others have already done. He will stop his show, he won't write or publisize his books or his failure, he will just stay low.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
17-05-2011, 11:16 AM
The Bible predicts that at the end of the age the Jews will begin returning to their homeland. The existence of Israel show that this is being fulfilled now.

This article

http://www.raptureready.com/soap/wood5.html

shows that many of the technological developments of our time were foreseen in the Bible.

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
17-05-2011, 11:35 AM
In regards to Jews returning to Israel... if my family was once taken from their house and they claim they'll someday live in it again. Then years later I become friends with the mayor who hates the current occupants of the house and owes me money (or has some personal interest in me living there). Then the mayor evicts the current residents and lets me live there. Is it really a prophecy fulfilled?

Substitute the British and Americans for the mayor in my example. The drive of the religions themselves put the Jews back in Israel. If an earthquake swallowed the Palestinians and strange waves of water pushed the Jews from all corners of the earth to the land I could see how it would be viewed as a prophecy fulfilled, and a miracle... all in one.

We all enter this world in the same way: naked; screaming; soaked in blood. But if you live your life right, that kind of thing doesn't have to stop there.
Dana Gould
17-05-2011, 06:19 PM
I can site my two favorite failed prophecies:

1) In Exodus 17:14, God says that he will utterly blot out all remembrance of Amalek, but that can never happen because the prophecy being recorded in the bible keeps the memory alive.

2) In Ezekiel 26:15-21 the prophet proclaims that through the king of Babylon, God would utterly destroy the city of Tyre, yet it is the fourth largest city in Lebanon right now. LOL!

“There is no sin except stupidity.” Oscar Wilde
18-05-2011, 03:00 PM
(15-05-2011 05:21 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  I find that most Bible prophecies that are thrown at me are laughably vague. I remember my grandma once claimed that "a great kingdom will fall" refers to the such and such empire of 1200 AD... but with "prophecies" that ambiguous, you've got a 100% chance of hitting.

I predict that "the people will rebel against their oppressors." Now let's see if this in-depth, specific prophecy is fulfilled, proving that I am God.

I remember the same thing growing up. My parents' cult would search the Bible for 'prophecies of the end of time' and then try to fit them to current events. For example, I remember how the King of the North and King of the South in the book of Daniel were applied to the US and Russia during the Cold War... except that the Cold War ended... ouch... so then they had to scramble to find new interpretations.
What good are prophecies so vague and jumbled that you have to find the facts and then try to fit them to the prophecy and only then say "See!!! The Bible predicted that! All praise gawd!!!" If you have to wait for the events to happen before you recognize that there was a prophecy for them, the prophecy is pretty useless...

English is not my first language. If you think I am being mean, ask me. It could be just a wording problem.