Bible Prophecy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-01-2013, 03:52 AM
Bible Prophecy
Okay so i recently became an Agnostic from Christianity after a lenghty period of consideration, but now, I'm not so sure that was a good idea. I Have been researching Christian apologetics a lot lately, and they seem to have quite the case, mostly revolving around Prophecy, can anyone help to debunk or confirm these?.
1)Job 36 27 apparently predicts the water cycle.
2) The Bible apparently knew there were mountains and springs beneath the sea.
3) Pretty much the entire Book of Daniel, but especially:
a) Daniel Predicts the rise of 4 beasts, corresponding with the Babylonian, Medo-Persian, Greek, and Roman empires, I Can't remember the exact details, but if you look it up, it's pretty specific.
b) He Predicts the "plucking up of three kingdoms by the roots", this apparently corresponds with the Arab spring, in which Egypt, Libya, and (Probably soon to follow) Syria, were plucked up.
c) He Predicts the actions of Antiochus IV Epiphanes with shocking accuracy.
4) Ezekiel predicts that Russia (Gog and Magog),Iran (Persia), Ethiopia (Cush), and Libya, will attack Israel, now this alliance seems to be falling into place.
5)Isaiah predicts the regathering of the Jews in Israel (fulfilled in 1948), but whats more, is he says: "I Will bring thy seed from the east and gather thee from the west, I will say to the north, give them up, and to the south, do not hold them back". This is strange because the North (Russia), and the south (Ethiopia), actually did have to be persuaded to give up the Jews to return to Israel.
6) Jeremiah apparently predicts the exact order of the rebuilding of the Israeli Suburbs
7) Revelation says that a star named "Wormwood", will poison the water supply, interestingly, Chernobyl translates to Wormwood.
8) The Roman Empire has apparently revived (In the form of the EU).
9) Most terrifying of all, (to Me at least), is the infamous, "Mark of the Beast" prophecy in Revelation, which no one will be able to buy or sell without. Apparently, the new Rfid chip technology can be used for buying and selling, and get this, apparently, research was done which showed that the best places to implant the chip are the right hand and forehead.
Any and all answers are appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2013, 07:18 AM (This post was last modified: 03-01-2013 07:29 AM by FSM_scot.)
RE: Bible Prophecy
Chernobyl translates to mugwort. Not worm wood. It's often mistranslated to suit the view some have of the bible being accurate. The rest I'm willing to bet are misinterpretations aswell as very general things, three up rooted civilisations, there are countless uprooted civilisations. Civilisations rise and fall so saying 3 will fall is like saying your left hand is attached to your left arm. Obvious really.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
03-01-2013, 07:42 AM
It would be helpful if you were able to post the exact verses for each of these prophecies.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
03-01-2013, 07:44 AM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2013 12:16 PM by Bucky Ball.)
"Sooth-saying"/fortune telling was forbidden in Hebrew culture. The business of fortune-telling, (predicting the future), is an aberrration, and 100 % non-biblical, and basically a Hollywood promotion scheme. Give it up, and take a course on the OT. Weeping
For every (so-called ) "prophesy" they find that appears to tell the future, there are 10 that goofed up. It's a bad win percentage. Nothing to be betting on. To make money at the races you need a positive win percent. Blush

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
03-01-2013, 07:57 AM
(03-01-2013 03:52 AM)TheLastEnemy Wrote:  Okay so i recently became an Agnostic from Christianity after a lenghty period of consideration, but now, I'm not so sure that was a good idea. I Have been researching Christian apologetics a lot lately, and they seem to have quite the case, mostly revolving around Prophecy, can anyone help to debunk or confirm these?.
1)Job 36 27 apparently predicts the water cycle.
2) The Bible apparently knew there were mountains and springs beneath the sea.
3) Pretty much the entire Book of Daniel, but especially:
a) Daniel Predicts the rise of 4 beasts, corresponding with the Babylonian, Medo-Persian, Greek, and Roman empires, I Can't remember the exact details, but if you look it up, it's pretty specific.
b) He Predicts the "plucking up of three kingdoms by the roots", this apparently corresponds with the Arab spring, in which Egypt, Libya, and (Probably soon to follow) Syria, were plucked up.
c) He Predicts the actions of Antiochus IV Epiphanes with shocking accuracy.
4) Ezekiel predicts that Russia (Gog and Magog),Iran (Persia), Ethiopia (Cush), and Libya, will attack Israel, now this alliance seems to be falling into place.
5)Isaiah predicts the regathering of the Jews in Israel (fulfilled in 1948), but whats more, is he says: "I Will bring thy seed from the east and gather thee from the west, I will say to the north, give them up, and to the south, do not hold them back". This is strange because the North (Russia), and the south (Ethiopia), actually did have to be persuaded to give up the Jews to return to Israel.
6) Jeremiah apparently predicts the exact order of the rebuilding of the Israeli Suburbs
7) Revelation says that a star named "Wormwood", will poison the water supply, interestingly, Chernobyl translates to Wormwood.
8) The Roman Empire has apparently revived (In the form of the EU).
9) Most terrifying of all, (to Me at least), is the infamous, "Mark of the Beast" prophecy in Revelation, which no one will be able to buy or sell without. Apparently, the new Rfid chip technology can be used for buying and selling, and get this, apparently, research was done which showed that the best places to implant the chip are the right hand and forehead.
Any and all answers are appreciated.

Every one of these is a huge stretch. You can take the words and twist them to fit various events.

Only the gullible fall for this kind of intellectual flabbiness. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
03-01-2013, 08:30 AM
The Jeremiah one. I'll give it to you. I'll say for the purposes of argument that he predicted the order of rebuilding of the Israeli suburbs.

Hell of a signpost towards 'I am an omnipotent God' wouldn't you say ? I'm omniscient so I'll give some random old guy a vision of Israeli suburbs being rebuilt 3000 years before the said rebuilding takes place, to show my awesome power. Muhahahaha. Then he'll write it down in cryptic language and all my children shall know it as a sign that the end times are near. Woe to the whore of Babylon forsooth. Bitch said no.

Why not, e.g. an actual signpost? "Look up ^^" "Hi I'm God, end times are a-comin' so better get your shit together boys because anyone with an RFID chip is *fucked*".

It's just such space age lunacy...
03-01-2013, 09:18 AM
(03-01-2013 08:30 AM)morondog Wrote:  Woe to the whore of Babylon forsooth
[Image: fear.gif]

Other than this, of all the things that may make one crawl back to the bosom of religion, prophecies are probably the last I would have thought of. Like others have pointed out, why would an omnipotent god want to talk in such convoluted and plain silly ways? Is he a fan of bad riddles or what?

And you do realise that postfactum you can make almost any event fit in with almost any "prophecy", right? As a favourite quote of mine says: "The human mind abhors a vacuum of sense. When faced with an absurdity, it strains its interpretative faculty to the utmost, to make the meaningless meaningful." To me, that's religion in a nutshell.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
03-01-2013, 09:27 AM
(03-01-2013 09:18 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(03-01-2013 08:30 AM)morondog Wrote:  Woe to the whore of Babylon forsooth
[Image: fear.gif]

Other than this, of all the things that may make one crawl back to the bosom of religion, prophecies are probably the last I would have thought of. Like others have pointed out, why would an omnipotent god want to talk in such convoluted and plain silly ways? Is he a fan of bad riddles or what?

And you do realise that postfactum you can make almost any event fit in with almost any "prophecy", right? As a favourite quote of mine says: "The human mind abhors a vacuum of sense. When faced with an absurdity, it strains its interpretative faculty to the utmost, to make the meaningless meaningful." To me, that's religion in a nutshell.
Though I do agree with you on prophecies being the last thing to think of, I could see how it would be linked to Pascale's Wager. Good quote! Thumbsup

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
03-01-2013, 09:31 AM
(03-01-2013 09:27 AM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  Though I do agree with you on prophecies being the last thing to think of, I could see how it would be linked to Pascale's Wager. Good quote! Thumbsup
Just about the only thing I remember from my grammar classes at uni (or was it syntax Consider ).

Ah, David Mitchell... how could he start dating that Coren bore No

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
03-01-2013, 09:35 AM
(03-01-2013 09:31 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(03-01-2013 09:27 AM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  Though I do agree with you on prophecies being the last thing to think of, I could see how it would be linked to Pascale's Wager. Good quote! Thumbsup
Just about the only thing I remember from my grammar classes at uni (or was it syntax Consider ).

Ah, David Mitchell... how could he start dating that Coren bore No

I believe they are married. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post