Bible Prophecy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-01-2013, 05:33 PM
RE: Bible Prophecy
Bible "prophesy" is just "interpretation of very vague stories that sound similar to what THEY want to prophetic". What sounds similar is included. The parts of the SAME story that don't match . . . are conveniently left out of "the prophesy". I haven't seen ANY "biblical prophesy" that was remotely compelling.

Here would be a real prophesy: "In that day, man will have dominion over the air. In one place, a man will speak, and in another land, a man will answer immediately. The sound of a voice will travel to the ends of the earth."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2013, 08:59 PM
(03-01-2013 03:52 AM)TheLastEnemy Wrote:  Okay so i recently became an Agnostic from Christianity after a lenghty period of consideration, but now, I'm not so sure that was a good idea. I Have been researching Christian apologetics a lot lately, and they seem to have quite the case, mostly revolving around Prophecy, can anyone help to debunk or confirm these?.
1)Job 36 27 apparently predicts the water cycle.
2) The Bible apparently knew there were mountains and springs beneath the sea.
3) Pretty much the entire Book of Daniel, but especially:
a) Daniel Predicts the rise of 4 beasts, corresponding with the Babylonian, Medo-Persian, Greek, and Roman empires, I Can't remember the exact details, but if you look it up, it's pretty specific.
b) He Predicts the "plucking up of three kingdoms by the roots", this apparently corresponds with the Arab spring, in which Egypt, Libya, and (Probably soon to follow) Syria, were plucked up.
c) He Predicts the actions of Antiochus IV Epiphanes with shocking accuracy.
4) Ezekiel predicts that Russia (Gog and Magog),Iran (Persia), Ethiopia (Cush), and Libya, will attack Israel, now this alliance seems to be falling into place.
5)Isaiah predicts the regathering of the Jews in Israel (fulfilled in 1948), but whats more, is he says: "I Will bring thy seed from the east and gather thee from the west, I will say to the north, give them up, and to the south, do not hold them back". This is strange because the North (Russia), and the south (Ethiopia), actually did have to be persuaded to give up the Jews to return to Israel.
6) Jeremiah apparently predicts the exact order of the rebuilding of the Israeli Suburbs
7) Revelation says that a star named "Wormwood", will poison the water supply, interestingly, Chernobyl translates to Wormwood.
8) The Roman Empire has apparently revived (In the form of the EU).
9) Most terrifying of all, (to Me at least), is the infamous, "Mark of the Beast" prophecy in Revelation, which no one will be able to buy or sell without. Apparently, the new Rfid chip technology can be used for buying and selling, and get this, apparently, research was done which showed that the best places to implant the chip are the right hand and forehead.
Any and all answers are appreciated.

1) "Predicts the water cycle"? Usually a prediction is something done before the event predicted comes true, but I'm pretty sure that the water cycle existed around the time of Job. But even so, if the bible had explained something scientific before it was well-known in the realm of science, then why did it take so long for science to be aware of it? To paraphrase a famous quote in The Social Network: "If the bible had discovered the water cycle, then it would have been discovered by the bible."

2) Why would these be surprising? We've been able to travel underwater since forever... you don't need an exploration vehicle to swim underwater or observe underwater topography.

3) Daniel is right about its predictions because it was written after they happened (around 200 BCE) and wrong about its views of history for the same reason... that is to say that Daniel's prophesies were right but its narrative couldn't have happened. Check out the link for details. (It's no coincidence that points A, B, and C all happened between 300 and 200 BCE).

4) Ezekiel made no such claim. The interpretation of his claims are a "post-diction" (see below for explanation).

5) Isaiah may have made such a prophesy, but it's odd that such things would happen 2000 years later. It's rather easy to make such predictions if they're vague and don't include a time-clock. This is also a result of confirmation bias (only noticing information that fits your views), because there are several Isaiah prophesies that still haven't come true despite their likelihood given 2000 years. (Isaiah 13:19-20 and Isaiah 17:1 for instance).

6) There are several problems with this claim. For one thing, it doesn't appear to be the case -- those who want to prove it take advantage of the typical reader's unfamiliarity with Israel and its landmarks. But even if it did happen (again, it didn't), there's good reason to believe that it would be rebuilt in that order simply to fulfill already known prophesy by people who believed in it.

7) Revelation is about events that would supposedly take place during the tribulation (including the "wormwood" event you mention). So Chernobyl, even if did translate to something in English (and it looks like somebody was putting you on ), still wouldn't fulfill prophesy because it would have happened at the wrong time.

8) That's begging the question (assuming the conclusion first and then fitting the facts to it). But again, I'm pretty sure this is Revelation prophesy and would be done at an incorrect time (unless you believe we're living in the tributation 0_o)

9)RFID will never catch on. The only sites you'll find praising it are the manufacturer's, and there are several problems inhibiting its wide usage -- the fact that people see it as the mark of the beast is actually one of the biggest. It's also important to note that "the beast" is long dead and RFID barely saw its day before being replaced with a universal ID system that doesn't require installation (hand veins).

So I mentioned "post-diction" above, and it's important to know what that is. A "prediction" actually tells you what's going to happen before it happens, and in a way that is useful for preparing for it and recognizing it immediately when it does. A "post-diction" is an event that, after it happens, someone claims that it matches a prediction, but the fact that it was vague or metaphorical makes it unclear until after the fact... that is, a post-diction is useless because it's indiscriminate from hindsight bias.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
03-01-2013, 09:06 PM
Rather than just a link, I think I'll actually post a copy of this video here for your enjoyment... any of my fellow atheists who don't know who the antichrist (or "beast") was should learn a little history (hint: When the bible says that these events will happen "soon", it always meant "in the lifetime of the author", not "2000+ years later").

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-01-2013, 09:55 PM
I can explain these prophecies in two words--reverse engineering.

Godless in the Magnolia State
[+] 4 users Like cjs's post
03-01-2013, 10:03 PM
(03-01-2013 09:55 PM)cjs Wrote:  I can explain these prophecies in two words--reverse engineering.
What?
04-01-2013, 11:44 AM
(03-01-2013 09:55 PM)cjs Wrote:  I can explain these prophecies in two words--reverse engineering.
I like that. That's a great way of putting it. Smile

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post