Bible Quotes that are actually Good

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-11-2013, 02:53 PM
RE: Bible Quotes that are actually Good
(05-11-2013 10:42 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(04-11-2013 08:47 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  "The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death." 1 Corinthians 15:26

That's right.
The Hebrews didn't believe in immortality, except for a few "hero" figures, (neither did Paul, except for the "saved"). Nice to see you get that. Tongue

The whole point of the Epic of Gilgamesh was that the Gods were the only ones who could be immortal- not Hebrew, but still in the general area.

Cool. Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-11-2013, 10:38 PM
(05-11-2013 11:03 AM)morondog Wrote:  I also like Ecclesiastes a lot. I think the writer woulda been an atheist in a different age...

Ecclesiastes is pretty good. I used to think it read a bit like a hormonal teenager, with all its 'better the day of man's death than his birth' lines. But it's actually one of the most balanced books about life- it has its good times and its bad.
'Do not hasten in your spirit to be angry, for anger rests in the bosom of fools.' Ecclesiastes 7:9
06-11-2013, 02:42 AM
(04-11-2013 09:27 PM)Chopdoc Wrote:  1 Corinthians 13:11

11 When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

Genesis 44:13

13 Then they rent their clothes; and every man loaded his ass, and returned to the city.

I love that. Next time I get asked . Why are you an atheist
Just quote: 1 Corinthians 13:11

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
06-11-2013, 12:38 PM
(06-11-2013 02:42 AM)sporehux Wrote:  
(04-11-2013 09:27 PM)Chopdoc Wrote:  1 Corinthians 13:11

11 When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

Genesis 44:13

13 Then they rent their clothes; and every man loaded his ass, and returned to the city.

I love that. Next time I get asked . Why are you an atheist
Just quote: 1 Corinthians 13:11

Like your siggie says...
06-11-2013, 02:34 PM
Hallucinations 4:11 The gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
06-11-2013, 02:40 PM
(06-11-2013 02:34 PM)Chas Wrote:  Hallucinations 4:11 The gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood.

That's a fucking terrible recipe! And yet, people keep insisting that it's good. Just 'cos some lame-o prophet said so. Plus who the fuck gilds sheep these days ? Silver-gilt is where it's at. Cheaper *and* looks good. And you can do electroplating which makes it a more even coating.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
06-11-2013, 03:00 PM
(06-11-2013 02:40 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(06-11-2013 02:34 PM)Chas Wrote:  Hallucinations 4:11 The gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood.

That's a fucking terrible recipe! And yet, people keep insisting that it's good. Just 'cos some lame-o prophet said so. Plus who the fuck gilds sheep these days ? Silver-gilt is where it's at. Cheaper *and* looks good. And you can do electroplating which makes it a more even coating.

There is, of course, support for your view.

Morons 12:7 Thine most beauteous lamb that shines like the moon is fit sacrifice for your feast of sacrifice. (emphasis added)

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
06-11-2013, 03:33 PM
(06-11-2013 03:00 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(06-11-2013 02:40 PM)morondog Wrote:  That's a fucking terrible recipe! And yet, people keep insisting that it's good. Just 'cos some lame-o prophet said so. Plus who the fuck gilds sheep these days ? Silver-gilt is where it's at. Cheaper *and* looks good. And you can do electroplating which makes it a more even coating.

There is, of course, support for your view.

Morons 12:7 Thine most beauteous lamb that shines like the moon is fit sacrifice for your feast of sacrifice. (emphasis added)

From the Gospel of St. Ralph the Liar
1:25
And Lo did the Lord come forth and giveth unto us all the empirical evidence and logical reasons for his existence.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
06-11-2013, 05:50 PM
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.

Psalm 27:4

Also

Jesus looked directly at them and asked, "Then what is the meaning of that which is written: " 'The stone the builders rejected has become the capstone ' ?

Luke 20:17

Just some foods for thought on number 2, the first is a little bit of theistic fun.
06-11-2013, 10:27 PM
Ezekiel 23: 17-21 (New International Version)

"17 Then the Babylonians came to her, to the bed of love, and in their lust they defiled her. After she had been defiled by them, she turned away from them in disgust. 18 When she carried on her prostitution openly and exposed her naked body, I turned away from her in disgust, just as I had turned away from her sister. 19 Yet she became more and more promiscuous as she recalled the days of her youth, when she was a prostitute in Egypt. 20 There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses. 21 So you longed for the lewdness of your youth, when in Egypt your bosom was caressed and your young breasts fondled."

Amen