Bible Quoting Friends on Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-10-2013, 11:01 PM
RE: Bible Quoting Friends on Facebook
My daughter came home from a church holiday program singing this verse. I encouraged her to think critically about its content.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...-at-church

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-10-2013, 12:30 AM
I have too many of those on my Facebook too. It takes everything I have to not comment on their shit when they do post it. I try not to start, or else I'd be constantly commenting, and they just think you're attacking them.

I actually end up commenting when they say things about this being a christian country founded on Christian ideals, or when they act like Christianity is under attack in this country and is the victim. I can't hold my tongue on those ones.

But still, even just prayer request and I feel this strong urge to tell them how meaningless praying is. But as long as they aren't attacking anyone using their beliefs to oppress others, being dicks about it in general, or acting like poor victims of the "secular, materialistic world", then I just ignore it.

[+] 1 user Likes Raptor Jesus's post
27-10-2013, 10:13 AM
Bible Quoting Friends on Facebook
Literally just a minute ago saw a friend's page where she posted an anti-gay status update. Her VERY NEXT POST was a pic of the shell fish she was eating.

Old Testament law continuity fail. If you're going to hate the gays, you have to hate Red Lobster, too.
[+] 3 users Like onedream's post
27-10-2013, 01:15 PM
(27-10-2013 12:30 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  I actually end up commenting when they say things about this being a christian country founded on Christian ideals, or when they act like Christianity is under attack in this country and is the victim. I can't hold my tongue on those ones.

Yeah, I can't restrain myself when it comes to those ones either. Last time I commented it was in response to a post that said something like, "If Bibles weren't banned in schools, we'd have less people going to prison." [headdesk] They aren't banned in public schools; but teachers aren't allowed to force their religion on students. I asked him how he'd feel if schools were forcing his kids to practice Islam and he got all butthurt.

Quote:Literally just a minute ago saw a friend's page where she posted an anti-gay status update. Her VERY NEXT POST was a pic of the shell fish she was eating.
That gets an automatic unfriending from me, when they post antigay statuses. This happened with a lot of my distant relatives (mainly my mom's first cousins and their kids).
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
27-10-2013, 01:43 PM
I occasionally post ridiculous bible quotes in a hope to show people its a horrible book. But the atheist and theist friends both end up liking it...
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post
27-10-2013, 02:24 PM
(27-10-2013 01:43 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  I occasionally post ridiculous bible quotes in a hope to show people its a horrible book. But the atheist and theist friends both end up liking it...

I used to annoy one particular friend of mine, on Facebook, whenever she posted scripture from the bible I'd add my favorite one:

Quote:Ezekiel 23:16-21,
16 As soon as she saw them, she lusted after them and sent messengers to them in Chaldea. 17 Then the Babylonians came to her, to the bed of love, and in their lust they defiled her. After she had been defiled by them, she turned away from them in disgust. 18 When she carried on her prostitution openly and exposed her naked body, I turned away from her in disgust, just as I had turned away from her sister. 19 Yet she became more and more promiscuous as she recalled the days of her youth, when she was a prostitute in Egypt. 20 There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses. 21 So you longed for the lewdness of your youth, when in Egypt your bosom was caressed and your young breasts fondled.[c]

She'd always get mad delete it, and complain that she has family on Facebook that could see it. I'd just say, as though I didn't get the problem, "but it's the holy word of "God", you're saying you and your family have a problem with the holy word of "God"?"

Of course, she was my friend so I felt free to mess with her. I wouldn't post that on just anyone's wall, because it is quite lewd.

A different friend, quite recently, posted this long letter someone else wrote about how Christian's were being victimized because they are not allowed to pray in public places (which is not true). The whole piece made it sound like their rights to pray were under attack. It used an example of not being allowed to pray at the start of a high school football game and how that was an attack on Christians rights. Which first of all, everyone still has the right to pray if they want, it just can't be conducted by a school official or coach, or forced on students. But student's are free to pray on their own if they want.

Second of all, this is bullshit anyway because I played football through high school and college, and I know "The Lord's Prayer" by heart to this day solely because of it. I didn't go to church as a kid, so this is the only exposure I got to that prayer. I never recited it myself, but heard it so much I have it memorized nontheless. There is no attack on prayer, prayer is going strong.

Myself, as an atheist, I could just ignore it and not give a shit, though now that I'm older I think I shouldn't have had do ignore it. I always felt like it singled me out if anyone looked up and saw I wasn't saying it or bowing my head. And I think about my one Hindu teammate who literally had to leave the room to not participate. He shouldn't have had to do that.

But I responded to her with this...
Quote:Matthew 5:6-7
5 β€œAnd when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7 And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words.

That PISSED her off. She was sooo mad I did that and felt like I was attacking her personally, and went on and on about how hurt she felt that I posted that.

I was surprised, (literally as I didn't expect that strong a reaction) and was confused and pointed out that I wasn't saying those things, Jesus did. That's what Jesus said, not me. If it pisses you off take it up with Jesus, not me because he's the one who said it. I think that's why it pissed her off, because I exposed what she was doing in a way that she couldn't really argue, otherwise she'd be arguing with Jesus.

However, come to think of it, that did happen about three months ago, and she used to post prayers and prayer request all the time, and I don't see them at all anymore. She still post spritual and biblical stuff, but no more prayers. Hmmm...did I actually change her behavior...I never realized that before until just now...

[+] 3 users Like Raptor Jesus's post
27-10-2013, 03:22 PM
(26-10-2013 10:51 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I don't have that kind of "facebook friends." Tongue

I'm jealous!

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

27-10-2013, 03:31 PM
(27-10-2013 12:30 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  I have too many of those on my Facebook too. It takes everything I have to not comment on their shit when they do post it. I try not to start, or else I'd be constantly commenting, and they just think you're attacking them.

I actually end up commenting when they say things about this being a christian country founded on Christian ideals, or when they act like Christianity is under attack in this country and is the victim. I can't hold my tongue on those ones.

But still, even just prayer request and I feel this strong urge to tell them how meaningless praying is. But as long as they aren't attacking anyone using their beliefs to oppress others, being dicks about it in general, or acting like poor victims of the "secular, materialistic world", then I just ignore it.

Yes all this! I don't bother with replying because this particular friend doesn't think it's fun. It would be offensive to them and I don't want to offend.

And they're a good friend, outside of their religious views.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

28-10-2013, 10:55 AM
(26-10-2013 09:54 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  From a friend's facebook...

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight."
Proverbs 3:5-6

Why? Because if you do lean on your own understanding you'll figure out god is an impossibility?

Yeah, this mindset also bleeds through into the New Testament. 1 Corinthans 2: 13 - 14:
Quote:13 This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, explaining spiritual realities with Spirit-taught words. 14 The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit.

So, basically, God has some type of special knowledge which we can't understand, and if this doesn't make sense to a person, you pull out a No True Scotsman on them and say that they can't talk about this with human logic, but only with secret (true) logic. Also, Martin Luther is on record saying that reason is the greatest enemy of faith.

A good point to remember: 2,300 years ago, Epicurus poised the Problem of Evil, and there have been no satisfying answers to it since. Christian apologetics works because Christians want it to; not because of any truth or because it makes any sense.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
09-12-2013, 10:52 AM
Something my religious cousin shared. I steer clear of debates on Facebook because I recognize the futility of such an exercise, especially when the page is called "One Nation Under God" and has a picture of Ronald Reagan giving a thumbs up. There seems to be a few atheists stirring the pot, but their comments are drowned out by the majority claiming that they are silly for not believing in God because they will burn, or that the big bang is proof of creation (i.e., "everything needs a creator"). And, as usual, they happily accept the existence of an eternal, ever present deity who somehow exists outside of reality.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...=1&theater

[Image: m7z3.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user