Bible Study?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-07-2014, 08:46 PM
Bible Study?
I've been reading the Bible lately and I keep coming across things that I wonder about and have nobody to ask. If I ask my old pastor, he's going to see it in the lens of Christianity. If I google it, there's a hundred different opinions and long paragraphs from biased sources. So I was thinking of starting a group to study the historical, literary, and religious parts of the Bible. Maybe it could be a once a week thing, or just a basic skype group. I don't want to make it all about disproving the Bible since there are some things in a few of the books which are actually pretty interesting. The main reason I started doing this is because of a youtube show called The Bible Reloaded where some Atheists read it cover to cover and make jokes along the way. It's not a serious scholarly study of the Bible so that's why I wanted to get a little more focused on certain aspects. If anyone wants to join, I'll make a skype group and we can talk there or here. My skype handle is electricvelocity. Send me a message and then I'll add you. Here's the channel for TBR: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheBibleReloaded/ They are a really great channel and they deserve more subscribers. I look forward to reading scriptures with you guys.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Cyvas's post
05-07-2014, 08:51 PM
RE: Bible Study?
Might I also be so bold as to suggest that you look at the work Bart D. Ehrman as well?
05-07-2014, 10:19 PM
(05-07-2014 08:51 PM)CiderThinker Wrote:  Might I also be so bold as to suggest that you look at the work Bart D. Ehrman as well?

He's a NT scholar.
Dr. Richard Elliott Friedmann "Who Wrote the Bible" and
http://www.amazon.com/How-Bible-Became-B...0521829461
are good OT resources.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
05-07-2014, 10:47 PM
I'll look that up sometime. Right now I am starting to read a book by Gary Greenburg entitled, "101 Myths of the Bible: How Ancient Scribes Invented Biblical History".
05-07-2014, 11:07 PM
It's a good idea.

I mean that the single-topic skype conversation is a good idea. It works well when there is a recognised facilitator.

I'd join but it's likely that my only contribution would be the occasional, "So, what?"

The extent of my bible study nowadays is to research its proportions and distortions once soaked and then frozen.

Wink

07-07-2014, 02:28 PM
This is still open and ready on skype and on here. Feel free to message me if you have any questions.
26-07-2014, 04:33 PM
I would be interested, but I do not have skype...or a webcam :/
06-08-2014, 08:50 PM
There's also Robert M. Price's podcast, The Human Bible. I find it very informative though sometimes I disagree with his conclusions. Also Dale B. Martin's Introduction to the New Testament on Yale Open Courses.
06-08-2014, 09:00 PM
Not sure if this is still going on, but I would be willing to participate.