Bible Translation Defense

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-04-2014, 10:33 AM
RE: Bible Translation Defense
(11-04-2014 07:31 AM)natachan Wrote:  Read it in Latin, it gets really fun.

So many words for "rape" and "kill" and they all mean different things!

You read Latin? Cool. Can you give us examples?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2014, 10:42 AM
My books are at home Sad

I remember one story that sticks out though. A Jewish virgin princess is captured and her tribe massacred. She is about to be raped by the conquering king but when he comes up she stabs him. The fun bit? The word for "stab" implies that she rapes him with the sword. It's supposed to be a metaphor for justice but I think it's amusing.
[+] 1 user Likes natachan's post
11-04-2014, 01:23 PM
(10-04-2014 09:02 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  I got this defense used against me in a debate earlier today:

"Well, the Bible has been translated so many times, you can't even say for sure what a particular quote originally said!"

This was a response to my mention of all the immoral bullshit in the Bible. It's a classic case of trying to get a free pass to cherry pick. Of course, by doing so they are also putting on the table that anything and everything from the Bible is questionable about what parts are translated correctly and which ones are not. If you make that claim, then you can't turn around and make the claim that the Bible is the word of your god, and therefore true, because your god is infallible. By this logic, the perfection has now been poisoned and there is no cleaning it up again. So, if that is the case, then why should anything from the Bible be considered to be divine?

Has anybody else had this used against them as well?

This is what happens because some Christians left the Catholic church which has the infallible Pope ( Laughat ) to make sure all those translations stay intact with their original meanings... cuz he's bored and needs stuff to do. (Begin TV commercial tone of voice here.) Yep, that imprimatur stamp is your guarantee of 100% divine authenticity. With it, you can know every bullshit word really is bullshit and hasn't been translated to new meanings. Drinking Beverage And, for an extra donation or two, you can even get the hard cover version of the Catholic Bible! (insert "ooh's" here) Guaranteed no Christian can use the mistranslation excuse ever again! And if your donations are generous enough, we'll even throw in a few prayers... absolutely FREE (unless you sin after receiving it, in which case you'll pay... with interest... for eternity) Get your hard cover Catholic Bible today! Tongue

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
11-04-2014, 07:26 PM
I think that any Christian that uses translation errors as a "reasonable" argument is simply admitting that God is fallible. If the creator of the universe, physics, and everything felt it necessary to write (through dictation) a book, shouldn't it also have been important for him to ensure accurate translations? I know that if I wrote the most important book ever in the history of our insignificant planet I would do my best to ensure flawless translations. —And I'm not even omnipotent.

Or maybe it's part of the almighty plan... to help us with... um ... to cause ... um ... chaos... Consider Huh Nope. It makes no sense.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
[+] 1 user Likes Jeffasaurus's post