Bible bashing

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
07-12-2011, 12:42 PM
Bible bashing
It may be just the mood I'm in, but I'm getting tired of simple Bible-bashing threads . Or Koran, or [insert you holy text here]. The "Oh, looky what really stupid, evil, silly thing it says here!" ones. If you're an atheist, you already know that the Bible (Koran, [insert you holy text here]) can not be "The Inerrant Word of God".

It's just too easy to deconstruct the Bible (Koran, [insert you holy text here]) on internal inconsistencies, or to show via archaeology and textual scolarship that it's not "The Inerrant Word of God".

The usefulness of such threads (IMO) is to arm ourselves with knowledge and argument against the fundamentalists or obnoxious true believers (there exist non-obnoxious true beleivers). Buddy Christ's "An atheist's critique..." thread is an example of a useful thread.

Maybe I just felt like ranting a bit.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-12-2011, 12:49 PM
RE: Bible bashing
Sounds like a rant Smile

But ranting isn't a bad thing and a forum is sometimes a good place to do so. I try to stay out of the bible-bashing threads as much as possible since I am no biblical scholar. I prefer to spend my time constructing useful arguments and increasing my knowledge (although I think I often come off as preachy and for that I blame my father). That is why I try to make most (not all since I did start a thread comparing churches to strip clubs) of my threads and posts about science or my opinion on matters other than what a particular religious text says.

But of course, this is an atheist forum so a good bit of religious-text bashing is to be expected Tongue

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
07-12-2011, 01:11 PM
I wish someone would critique the Quran. I don't know a thing about it.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
07-12-2011, 02:11 PM
(07-12-2011 01:11 PM)germanyt Wrote:  I wish someone would critique the Quran. I don't know a thing about it.

My critique: It's just as flaky as the Bible.Tongue
(Oh, oh - fatwah time!)

Seriously, I think a little Googling will go a long way.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-12-2011, 02:13 PM
(07-12-2011 02:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(07-12-2011 01:11 PM)germanyt Wrote:  I wish someone would critique the Quran. I don't know a thing about it.

I wouldn't trust a random internet search on the Quran any more than I'd trust one on the Bible. No way to know just how literal the translation is. And I'd attempt to read it but I'm not sure I have the patience.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
07-12-2011, 03:04 PM
We have members from time to time of other religions. Haven't had a serious Qur'an basher in quite a while though. I don't really bash when I reply to bible threads, I try to say things that are constructive. I have this belief that some of the world believes it's true. Well, sometimes I'm just blatantly laughing at it, but I live in Missouri I need to get some steam off or it's not a book I'll be bashing.

Also I tend to find the skeptic's annotated bible to be a pretty good place to look at information. Link is to the Qu'ran part.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 1 user Likes Lilith Pride's post
07-12-2011, 03:07 PM
(07-12-2011 03:04 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  We have members from time to time of other religions. Haven't had a serious Qur'an basher in quite a while though. I don't really bash when I reply to bible threads, I try to say things that are constructive. I have this belief that some of the world believes it's true. Well, sometimes I'm just blatantly laughing at it, but I live in Missouri I need to get some steam off or it's not a book I'll be bashing.

Also I tend to find the skeptic's annotated bible to be a pretty good place to look at information. Link is to the Qu'ran part.

Blocked at work so I'm having to view the cached page.

edit... I'll have to read it from another computer. Damn internet usage policy.

-Mark Twain
07-12-2011, 03:07 PM

(Oh, oh - fatwah time!)

Probably even more flaky especially in present times.
Judaism , Christianity ,and Islam are known as people of The Book despite the multitude of different views.

A Melbourne man, on a pilgrimage to Mecca has been charged in Saudi Arabia with blasphemy. He is to receive 500 lashes and a years jail.

While Christianity has advanced a bit since the Inquisition, Islam seemingly continues to go backwards.
[+] 3 users Like Mr Woof's post
07-12-2011, 03:09 PM
(07-12-2011 03:07 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  

(Oh, oh - fatwah time!)

Judaism , Christianity ,and Islam are known as people of The Book despite the multitude of different views.

A Melbourne man, on a pilgrimage to Mecca has been charged in Saudi Arabia with blasphemy. He is to receive 500 lashes and a years jail.

While Christianity has advanced a bit since the Inquisition, Islam seemingly continues to go backwards.

Yeah, I saw that. How is this not going to kill him?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
07-12-2011, 03:35 PM
(07-12-2011 03:09 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(07-12-2011 03:07 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  

(Oh, oh - fatwah time!)

Yeah, I saw that. How is this not going to kill him?

Don't worry, he wont die.
it just takes practice.