Bible belt

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-09-2013, 08:53 PM
Bible belt
I live in the Bible Belt, and have been here my whole life, and have not gotten the chance to move out of it. As a result of this I have always been surrounded by Christians. My parents have always sent me to a private Christian school ( until this past year ) and i have gone to church and read the bible, the whole nine yards. I am 16 years old, and became an atheist about 2 years ago. I have always been the science loving, logical family member (not saying no one else in my family ISN'T logical) and I came to realize that I didn't believe in god. Going to church was a chore that I didn't want to do, praying had no effect whenever I did it. I began doing research on the Internet, watched youtube videos (TheAmazingAtheist, his older videos, DarkMatter2525, and many others). I was trying to make a solid argument against Christianity, something that I could use in an argument. I never told my parents and still have yet to tell them. I am worried that when they find out the truth they will begin a sort of theological lock-down. Church every Sunday, they may even send me back to the small private Christian school that I have gone to most of my life. This may be extreme, but it is very plausible. Waking up has been the most invigorating, freeing thing that has happened to me in my so far short life. I do not believe that my parents would understand. Also, I haven't been able to tell many people about this, so I have all this stuff in my head and I can't get it out. I now know that when I die and when everyone dies it all just goes away, there's no heaven, no hell, it was blank before I was born, and it will be the same when I die, and I'm not worried, but I want to live my one chance to its full potential. So, what do you guys think I should do? With my situation with my parents and family and everything. I'm sorry for the wall of text haha.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-09-2013, 09:24 PM
RE: Bible belt
Welcome, first of all.

Given your age and the fact that you are going to have to live by your parents' rules for a time, my suggestion would be to wait. Read and watch documentaries and learn all you can but it's probably best to keep it to yourself for now.

I lived in the Bible Belt for a long time and saw how it can be. I grew up in the midwest in a Catholic town and begged and pleaded to go to the public school and not the Catholic one to no avail. I had to play the religion game but they weren't able to control what I thought.

Come here to talk for now.

Good luck.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
05-09-2013, 09:33 PM
Hi there! I'm 17 and also from the Bible Belt. I definitely understand where you're coming from. I would say go as long as you can without telling your family. If you can, find a friend you can tell. I did about twenty minutes ago and finding a friend who will support you is amazing. Bonus points if that person is an atheist as well. But family, I would say wait until you're out of the house. Your senior year will be the worst because you'll know you're so close to "coming out" but hang in there. It's better to not say anything for a few years than risk having all of your family members trying to save your soul. If you ever want to talk, feel free to message me. I've been going through hiding my lack of faith in Christianity for almost ten years and my full on atheism for four so I know what it's like. Best wishes, and I hate that you have to go through this!
05-09-2013, 10:27 PM
As someone who grew up in the bible belt (Oklahoma), I must say that I am jealous. I did not discover the absurdity of religion until I had reached adulthood. Kudos for daring to think for yourself at such an age. Thumbsup

I agree with Anjele on this; best to tread carefully for a couple more years since you will be living by your parents' rules. Best of luck in your labb (Life after bible belt). Smile
05-09-2013, 10:50 PM
Patience. There is a time and a place for everything and its called 'college.'

I told my parents at 16 and it was a mistake, lots of yelling and anger. They where not open to attempting to understand until college when I had proven my integrity and had some ground to stand on and independence to leverage.

...I still do the song and dance for grandma and I'm almost 30... There is no good way/time to negotiate those waters.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ridethespiral's post
10-09-2013, 01:45 PM
+1 on waiting. Maybe until college is paid for? It's very expensive, and can alter your life if you don't have it.

+2 on coming here to connect with people. I would be careful about the use of social media related to atheism. If your parents are fundie or close, I would "begin" it as a slow process of asking them hard questions through your college years to get them acquainted with the idea that you are struggling with the big ideas. When you do eventually come out, it will be a much smaller step for them than right off the cliff - they will have seen the struggles and if they couldn't answer your questions, even better.

Best of luck.

Don't sell yourself short Judge, you're an incredible slouch.

Martin Luther was the "father" of two movements - The Reformation and Nazism.