Bible class rant.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-06-2010, 08:41 AM

Music Bible class rant.
I wrote this during my HIGHSCHOOL bible class because I was bored...
Its not very good and I haven't edited it but here it is:

I'm tired of Mr.**** turning this class into a church sermon or a life lesson class. This is a class about the old testament, not a spirituality class. Not a class to make people feel as if they are damaged and sinful. I understand that it is good to learn about the bible, but im getting sick of these life lessons and hints at peoples personal situations. This isn't a bloody church. Yes, this is a religious school but keep the sermons and the speeches in the chapel. The idea of having blind faith in this primitive collection of writings sickens me. "Gods word" This isnt gods word, this is mans word. MEN wrote this book NOT god. I will even go as far as saying that some of the writers of the bible were likely mentally Ill. Mr **** bringing up his personal life is boring and irrelevant. The fact that "god" in the old testament is so obsessed with the jews is interesting. It sounds like this group of people is just claiming that they are "gods" chosen people. In modern day, if you hear voices in your head, you are a schizophrenic, 3000 years ago if you hear voices in your head its god speaking to you. You can have good morals without the bible, actually, morals are better without the bible, the bible says to kill your child if he or she is rebellious, the bible says that you must kill non believers. Entire towns of non believers,
GOD commands the murder of millions.
GOD is cruel
GOD is jealous
GOD is selfish
GOD is man
MAN is god
Quote this message in a reply
09-06-2010, 09:28 AM

RE: Bible class rant.
You need some good old Professor Ehrman!

http://www.amazon.com/Old-Testament-Grea...08&sr=8-15
09-06-2010, 10:18 AM
(09-06-2010 08:41 AM)monsoonchaser Wrote:  This isn't a bloody church. Yes, this is a religious school but keep the sermons and the speeches in the chapel.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't religious schools supposed to educate their students in the faith as well as the facts? While I fully back the idea that school and religion should be entirely separate (as in, I don't like the idea of a religious school), I really don't think that if you are attending a religious school you can expect a religious education class to not be a second Mass.
If it concerns and offends you this deeply, you might consider moving to a public school. While I don't condone this school's teaching methods, you're not going to be able to change them. Leaving is just about your only option.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-06-2010, 11:12 AM
Kind of like an alcoholic going into a bar, and expecting the bartender to stop serving booze.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
09-06-2010, 01:06 PM
At my college they educate on the facts in religion classes. I use alot of what I learned in them to help me against theist. None the of the teachers ever preach or give sermons. monsoonchaser should transfer to my college. Also, Ehrman is the author of one of the text books that was used in one of them. I had to take two overall. One giving the facts on the new testament, and the other most of the old testament.
Random facts from the top of my head that I remember best (It has been a couple years because I am going to be a senior and was a sophmore when I took the classes)
1. Polytheism is in the Bible, and has been covered up by translators
2. Hell is never mentioned in the original text of Isiah where it originated from, but instead it mentions the pit where all the dead go
3. Noahs ark is too similiar to the Atrahasis flood myth, and other legends of the time it was written
4. Jesus does the same things that other miracle workers did, and what god did in the old testament.
5. the gospels are biographers, but biographers back then wrote more on what one could get out of it rather than what actually happened.
6. Based off writing styles one could tell that the gospels used multiple sources that were never found. Ehrman educates on the facts behind the gospels well

There are many more but would like to save them for when theist get on here, and I am little tired lol.
09-06-2010, 01:08 PM

(09-06-2010 10:18 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(09-06-2010 08:41 AM)monsoonchaser Wrote:  This isn't a bloody church. Yes, this is a religious school but keep the sermons and the speeches in the chapel.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't religious schools supposed to educate their students in the faith as well as the facts? While I fully back the idea that school and religion should be entirely separate (as in, I don't like the idea of a religious school), I really don't think that if you are attending a religious school you can expect a religious education class to not be a second Mass.
If it concerns and offends you this deeply, you might consider moving to a public school. While I don't condone this school's teaching methods, you're not going to be able to change them. Leaving is just about your only option.

Yes I understand that, and I go to this school because of the academic qualities, plus the fact that the classes are so small and public schools have 40+ people per class. I accept that a religious school will teach religious things, including faith. Our Bible class is only 30 minutes long so I was bored and decided to write a rant. I wrote it without thinking too deeply into what I was writing and if I had edited it I would have taken a lot of parts out.
09-06-2010, 01:10 PM
Hey, everyone's entitled to the occasional rant. I wasn't trying to ruin your rantiness, just pointing out that, if you wanted it to stop, your only real action is to leave.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
09-06-2010, 01:19 PM

(09-06-2010 01:06 PM)omega21 Wrote:  1. Polytheism is in the Bible, and has been covered up by translators

Many Jews were apparently Polytheistic however they only "worshiped" the one true God who had chosen them as his people. The law You shall worship no other gods above me, implies that their are other gods but that they should not be worshiped.

Quote: Ehrman educates on the facts behind the gospels well

I enjoy his lectures and books.
09-06-2010, 06:54 PM
I understand what you mean. I think that for people to follow true christianity they must accept the fact that there are other gods, but not worship them. Also there are a couple passages refering to the most high then also to yahweh such as in the book of duetranomy (I doubt i spelled it right lol). The most high is supposed to be his dad EL and Yahweh the present day christian god.