Bible historicity

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
19-04-2010, 11:13 AM

Bible historicity
panflutejedi stated in the thread "Questions for martin":

"I wanted a place to connect with rational people, not endure more of the same old garbage."

I have to agree, wholeheartedly. If martin could bring an argument we could challenge, all the better. However, if he's proven anything to us, it is that he has NO argument that we find remotely challenging.

That said, I wanted to start this thread with the idea that we would have a bit of knowledge transfer and sharing around something omega21 brought up in one of their (he/she?...sorry) threads, around the history of the bible itself.

I watched the PBS NOVA special "The Bible's Buried Secrets" recently. It has opened up a number of thought processes that I am systematically investigating (as best as I could). Here's a link to the video series in YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yvg2EZAEw5c

Your thoughts are very welcome, as well as any additional resources for this type of historical investigation.
Quote this message in a reply
19-04-2010, 11:46 AM

RE: Bible historicity
I'll have to check it out once I get home.
19-04-2010, 03:51 PM
I watched it a while back and thoroughly enjoyed it. Some very interesting things in there.

I've come across some various things here and there when dealing with the historicity of the Bible, I'll have to go back through some bookmarks and see if there's any really good stuff I can share. This is also a topic of interest to me - the theists I most come in contact with cite the Bible's "complete" historical accuracy as one of it's main "proofs" of divine influence.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-04-2010, 05:14 AM

The video is divided into 12 parts (with a 13th video as an introduction):

2 - Who Wrote The Bible
3 - The Exodus
4 - The Caananite Cities
5 - Israelite Origins
6 - The Search For YHWH
7 - The House Of David
8 - Archaeological Methods
9 - Architectural Evidence
10 - Ideas About Worship
11 - Birth Of Judaism
12 - Sacred Scrolls
13 - The Bible Today

Here's the link to the PBS companion page for the program. It contains deeper dive interviews (they are referenced during the actual videos above):

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/bible/

Happy watching, everyone!
01-05-2010, 05:56 AM

Anyone get to watch this PBS special?
01-05-2010, 05:59 AM

No, although if I am not mistaken, I have watched these episodes in the past.