Bible is Post Faith ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-10-2013, 07:26 PM
Bible is Post Faith ?
Something I've notice with all my banter between friends and relos. Is that they admit directly or indirectly that their belief was/is absolute before they read the bible (the few that have read more than 100 pages.) Is this the norm most of you guys.

To me this invalidates using the bible as god proof because it would imply indoctrination.
Or is it they truly believe they are more special to god than some kid born in a non theist country. And god blessed them with dogma alone.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-10-2013, 11:49 AM
RE: Bible is Post Faith ?
The bible god is...not worthy of worship based on his actions alone. Reading it shows just how human God is. Also huge parts are silly or simply not applicable to us today. If you read carefully that becomes inescapable.
11-10-2013, 12:43 PM
This is sad to say but the majority of them did never read the whole Bible. They don't know the existence of interpolations and the historical context when these books were wrote. Also they know nothing about the selection of books for the biblical canon. We can note that they don't know the existence of others biblical canons than theirs.
The majority of theist of my country (France) are "cafetaria catholics". The previous things that I said does apply for the Christians of all denominations. I'm happy to say that I'm anymore a Christian since some month because I did researches because I had a real doubt about the "existence of God". Before being a "strong atheist" , I was an "agnostic". Before being an "agnostic" I was an "agnostic theist" and a "conspiracy theorist".

For christians who read my messages : you say that atheists are unhappy. I would like say to you that I'm happiest since my deconversion.
15-10-2013, 01:30 PM
(10-10-2013 07:26 PM)sporehux Wrote:  Something I've notice with all my banter between friends and relos. Is that they admit directly or indirectly that their belief was/is absolute before they read the bible (the few that have read more than 100 pages.) Is this the norm most of you guys.

To me this invalidates using the bible as god proof because it would imply indoctrination.

I was Christian for about 30 years, and I had never read the whole thing. Most Christians I know haven't.

(10-10-2013 07:26 PM)sporehux Wrote:  Or is it they truly believe they are more special to god than some kid born in a non theist country. And god blessed them with dogma alone.

I guess this depends on how honest they want to be. I remember being at a point in my life where I believed in God, but I also understood that the biggest determining factor of a person's religion is where they were born, not the "truth" of Almighty God. I actually considered myself to be lucky to be born in a country that worshiped the correct god. I spent a good amount of time trying to figure out how God would deal with the people (most of the population!) unlucky to be born in the wrong place.

I eventually got to a belief (that I think a lot of Christians share) that God would somehow reveal himself to every person in the world, and that if they rejected him, it was their fault. Even if everyone around them believed something else. And even if they lived in a country where apostasy is a capital offense.

Seriously. I actually believed that.
17-10-2013, 08:52 PM
I know I personally never questioned it seriously until I read some of the unsavory passages in the old testament... Up until that point I had mainly been reading about evolution and geology, questioning the creationism I'd been brought up with, but I was quite happy for God and science to sit together comfortably.

So then I started looking into the old testament more and found it to be sick and evil... That got me onto reading Richard Dawkins, and watching bebates on YouTube...

I love the friends I have gathered together on this thin raft,
We have constructed pyramids in honor of our escaping.
- Jim Morrison
17-10-2013, 10:47 PM
Re:: I was Christian for about 30 years, and I had never read the whole thing. Most Christians I know haven't.

This what I cannot comprehend. If I was visited (in my mind) by an alien/wizard/ghost/god . And there was a true book that explained it. I would be reading it over and over again. And getting the truth out of the contradictions. Its almost as if theist know its BS and are actively avoiding it .

17-10-2013, 11:00 PM
Bible is Post Faith ?
If most theists could get through the entire bible, they would drop their faith.

"Laissez nous faire!"

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor will I ever ask another man to live for mine."
18-10-2013, 12:22 AM
If rational people are in awe of something they study it Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What the Bible Got WRONG Misanthropik 14 664 07-04-2014 07:26 AM
Last Post: Bible Belt Brawler
  Post Nye/Ham debate Facebook debate Colourcraze 14 413 08-02-2014 05:49 PM
Last Post: Colourcraze
  Dillahunty Summarizes the Bible Can_of_Beans 21 1,005 07-11-2013 05:32 PM
Last Post: Yasmin
  Blind Faith is a Sickness Thomas 31 1,813 17-09-2013 04:29 AM
Last Post: Philosoraptor
  Best bible verse to quote to Christian. Chrisinfp 79 4,285 04-09-2013 01:47 AM
Last Post: excubitor
  You just can't apply reason to faith DancingSkeletons 17 576 16-08-2013 04:49 PM
Last Post: TheStraightener
  Bible thumper on Plenty of Fish Adenosis 7 534 14-08-2013 12:58 PM
Last Post: Adenosis