Bible question!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-03-2016, 09:50 PM
Bible question!
As I state in most of my posts.. I joined this site in hopes of finding answers, new ideas, and new perspectives. I gather that some of the people here are religious and some.. As per the name of the site are not. I also have learned that some are ex Christians.
So this question can really be answered by any side.
The bible mentions Jewish myths and warns against them. But isn't the bible based on those "myths"? Why warn against them? or is it completely different?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-03-2016, 09:54 PM
RE: Bible question!
(18-03-2016 09:50 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  As I state in most of my posts.. I joined this site in hopes of finding answers, new ideas, and new perspectives. I gather that some of the people here are religious and some.. As per the name of the site are not. I also have learned that some are ex Christians.
The bible mentions Jewish myths and warns against them. But isn't the bible based on those "myths"? Why warn against them? or is it completely different?

Please provide some context.
18-03-2016, 09:56 PM
(18-03-2016 09:54 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(18-03-2016 09:50 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  As I state in most of my posts.. I joined this site in hopes of finding answers, new ideas, and new perspectives. I gather that some of the people here are religious and some.. As per the name of the site are not. I also have learned that some are ex Christians.

Please provide some context.

Like the verse? Titus 1:13-14. Otherwise I have nothing. I just came across it while reading.
19-03-2016, 01:19 AM
(18-03-2016 09:56 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  
(18-03-2016 09:54 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Please provide some context.

Like the verse? Titus 1:13-14. Otherwise I have nothing. I just came across it while reading.

There are people better qualified to answer but I'll try:

Whoever wrote this was apparently more interested in success of new religion than paying respect to the old one. According to "Jewish fables" Jesus wasn't messiah so it should be disregarded.

All in all it's nothing more than new sect cutting ties with it's roots.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
19-03-2016, 01:38 AM
(19-03-2016 01:19 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(18-03-2016 09:56 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  Like the verse? Titus 1:13-14. Otherwise I have nothing. I just came across it while reading.

There are people better qualified to answer but I'll try:

Whoever wrote this was apparently more interested in success of new religion than paying respect to the old one. According to "Jewish fables" Jesus wasn't messiah so it should be disregarded.

i understand what you're saying. that was my thinking too.. I mean.. Why not call the religion you base your own beliefs on a myth? That makes perfect sense.......
19-03-2016, 01:45 AM
(19-03-2016 01:38 AM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  
(19-03-2016 01:19 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  There are people better qualified to answer but I'll try:

i understand what you're saying. that was my thinking too.. I mean.. Why not call the religion you base your own beliefs on a myth? That makes perfect sense.......

Did I detected sarcasm?

As for why - there can be the only one (religion). So all others must be false.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
19-03-2016, 06:24 AM
(19-03-2016 01:38 AM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  i understand what you're saying. that was my thinking too.. I mean.. Why not call the religion you base your own beliefs on a myth? That makes perfect sense.......

Because when you realize that your religion is a myth just like all the rest you cease to have a religion and can no longer rationally base your beliefs on it. Welcome to atheism.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
19-03-2016, 06:31 AM
(19-03-2016 06:24 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(19-03-2016 01:38 AM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  i understand what you're saying. that was my thinking too.. I mean.. Why not call the religion you base your own beliefs on a myth? That makes perfect sense.......

Because when you realize that your religion is a myth just like all the rest you cease to have a religion and can no longer rationally base your beliefs on it. Welcome to atheism.

This is why I am atheist
God is a myth for those scared of the dark
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Kyx's post
19-03-2016, 07:32 AM (This post was last modified: 19-03-2016 07:37 AM by jennybee.)

Almost all cultures have their own religions. That's the first thing to remember. And each religion has their own god(s) and own religious practices. The reason for this is that we are wired this way. We hear a bump in the night and assume it's a ghost or that 'someone did it' before thinking of any other rational causes. It's part of human nature. Nowadays, we are a much more modern society and if you hear the house creaking at night and it's an old house, you know it's just the wind/etc. for instance. But dealing with cultures who lived many many many years ago, they didn't think like that. That was a time when people were very superstitious.

We all try to survive and that was one way they *thought* they could better survive. If they heard a bump in the night, someone/something must have done it-- and since no one was around, it must have been a god or a demon or a ghost. Nowadays we know better. Also imagine the mindset of the time, you work your fields and you have crops to feed your family. You don't have access to a grocery store. This is all you have. If there is a drought, your crops will die and your family will starve. Now let's say you have months of no rain. You look up in the sky and say please rain and when you do you trip over a rock and lo and behold the next day, it rains. So this person in BCE thinks wow, the next time it doesn't rain, I'm going to try the same thing. He shouts at the sky "Make it rain" and makes himself trip over a rock. So he does, and within a month, it rains. He thinks to himself "Someone up in the sky *must* have been listening to me. He makes up a name for his new sky buddy and tells all of his friends of his good fortune. And, that is how religions are born.

Now we can believe that there really is a magical leprechaun living on a cloud making it rain or we can believe that during a rainy season or rainy months, it has the possibility of raining at least once. And people count the hits and not the misses.

The Jews were polytheistic (worshiping many gods) at one point, then they switched to monotheism (belief in one God--the god you know today). Because this was a new way of doing things, they shunned old beliefs (old myths) and wanted everyone to believe in the same thing. They also believed that this was their true god. If they believed this one god made it rain and brought crops and prosperity--then anyone not worshiping this way could cause a drought. So adherence in terms of keeping away wars, droughts, starvation was necessary to their beliefs. Nowadays we know a god doesn't cause droughts or starvation or wars. These things happen naturally and not because a god is angry or not angry with us.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
19-03-2016, 07:46 AM
Christianity grew out of Judaism but at some point - like when Islam also grew out of the witches brew of Christianity, Judaism and other beliefs floating around the Middle East at the time - your offshoot sect has to assert that the base religion got it wrong somehow. As Szuchow said, there's only *one* correct religion - yours. All others are lies. Including other sects of your own religion like Catholics vs Protestants.

In Christianity's case they say that God sent Jesus to free everyone from the requirements of the Law (which is what they say the Jews are bound to by their covenant), so they call the Jewish Torah the "Old Testament" and the Jesus weirdness the "New Testament". Following that Joseph Smith comes along and says that Christians got it slightly wrong and while the Bible is true and correct, there's also his silly book that he made up "dictated to him by the angel Moroni" and the real and totally true religion is Mormonism. And then Mormonism splits into further sects Rolleyes

In Islam's case they say that Jesus and the other Jewish prophets were prophets but Mohammed was a *better* prophet, and while Jews and Christians are "People of the Book", they're not really proper people.

ETA: There are quite a few sects of Islam as well, all of whom don't get on with each other in quite the same familiar and blood-soaked fashion as any two Christian sects in close proximity.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post