Bible question!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-03-2016, 07:54 AM (This post was last modified: 19-03-2016 08:09 AM by jennybee.)
RE: Bible question!
In terms of the Titus passage: from my own quick research via my Bible commentaries, I think it is talking about false teachers. Basically, beware of people telling you this is how to worship, when you know otherwise via the Bible. For instance, if you read in the Bible, "Thou shalt not wear white after Labor Day"* and I told you, "Meh, wearing white's fine" because my grandmother did all the time and nothing bad ever happened to her." And you listened to me and started wearing white after Labor Day-that would be wrong in The Bible's eyes. You would not be practicing your faith by listening to me instead of the Bible.

My commentary lists Jewish myth as haggadoth. What that means is using legends to illustrate a point. Since Christianity was born out of Judaism, some would use legends (or Jewish myth aka haggadoth) to illustrate stories from the Bible. They were adding to the Bible--which if you read a lot of the NT-that is a no no. You should not be adding to God's Word etc.

The NT IVP Bible Commentary also mentions that the Pharisees (another group of people around this time) tried to "expound and apply biblical law for their own times and were forced to surround it with case law, detailing how the OT rules applied and addressed specific situations, Paul apparently dismisses such tradition here" (Keener).

Maybe GWG or Bucky or jason_delisle can elaborate. They are much more skilled in The Bible than I am.

*Not an actual Bible passage Wink

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-03-2016, 08:07 AM
Here's a good video on Cargo Cults. You can see how people end up believing all kinds of things, none of which makes them true. Additionally, it illustrates how stories or superstitious thinking can be widespread within one culture--people believing in their cultural stories as truth.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
19-03-2016, 08:37 AM
(18-03-2016 09:50 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  The bible mentions Jewish myths and warns against them. But isn't the bible based on those "myths"?

No. That was easy. Next question..
19-03-2016, 08:46 AM (This post was last modified: 19-03-2016 05:10 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(19-03-2016 07:54 AM)jennybee Wrote:  "Meh, wearing white's fine" because my grandmother did all the time and nothing bad ever happened to her."

Heretic.
Tomorrow at noon. Get ready for thy burning (at the country club).

Stephen (in Acts) before he was burned, (as well as Josephus ... supposedly an "historian" (ha)) recounted the mythic story which the Judean priests "assembled" in Babylon, before they (and Ezra) returned with the Torah of Moses, which they had cooked up/assembled in Babylon to serve as the legal-cultural framework for reconstituting Hebrew society. Both Hebrew "history" (as you probably have been told it), and Christianity are largely fables.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ble-Bull-s
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid162714
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid160188

BTW, Islam didn't develop from Christianity. It came from the Arabic moon-god religion. It imported a few common elements, and today some claim Allah is the same god as Yahweh. He's not.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid169445

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
19-03-2016, 08:57 AM
Here's a general statement to live by regarding ANY question you have relating to the bible.

It was written by a bunch of stone age goat shagging Arabs who thought the world was flat. There is no God and so the bible is not supreme or holy, it is a pile of shit that has no meaning towards anything and does not deserve a moment of your thought or time.

If you want a good book try the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson. I'm not much of a reader but that shit is gold.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
19-03-2016, 09:01 AM
(19-03-2016 01:45 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(19-03-2016 01:38 AM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  i understand what you're saying. that was my thinking too.. I mean.. Why not call the religion you base your own beliefs on a myth? That makes perfect sense.......

Did I detected sarcasm?

As for why - there can be the only one (religion). So all others must be false.

Yes. Because I think it's crazy to call their beliefs a "myth" but I guess that's what happens. It's just starting to sink in I guess.
19-03-2016, 09:06 AM
(19-03-2016 09:01 AM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  
(19-03-2016 01:45 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Did I detected sarcasm?

Yes. Because I think it's crazy to call their beliefs a "myth" but I guess that's what happens. It's just starting to sink in I guess.

Why it's crazy to call their beliefs myths? Christians could easily take x and call rest of the source material myth to disparage rival.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
19-03-2016, 09:11 AM
(19-03-2016 09:01 AM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  
(19-03-2016 01:45 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Did I detected sarcasm?

Christians don't exactly hold back on the crazy. They go all in.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
19-03-2016, 09:21 AM
(19-03-2016 07:54 AM)jennybee Wrote:  In terms of the Titus passage: from my own quick research via my Bible commentaries, I think it is talking about false teachers. Basically, beware of people telling you this is how to worship, when you know otherwise via the Bible. For instance, if you read in the Bible, "Thou shalt not wear white after Labor Day"* and I told you, "Meh, wearing white's fine" because my grandmother did all the time and nothing bad ever happened to her." And you listened to me and started wearing white after Labor Day-that would be wrong in The Bible's eyes. You would not be practicing your faith by listening to me instead of the Bible.

My commentary lists Jewish myth as haggadoth. What that means is using legends to illustrate a point. Since Christianity was born out of Judaism, some would use legends (or Jewish myth aka haggadoth) to illustrate stories from the Bible. They were adding to the Bible--which if you read a lot of the NT-that is a no no. You should not be adding to God's Word etc.

The NT IVP Bible Commentary also mentions that the Pharisees (another group of people around this time) tried to "expound and apply biblical law for their own times and were forced to surround it with case law, detailing how the OT rules applied and addressed specific situations, Paul apparently dismisses such tradition here" (Keener).

Maybe GWG or Bucky or jason_delisle can elaborate. They are much more skilled in The Bible than I am.

*Not an actual Bible passage Wink

Ok, that makes sense too. By this point I forgot about the Pharisees. I just thought the way I did because in church your taught that the Jews are wrong in most ways
19-03-2016, 09:22 AM
(19-03-2016 09:11 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(19-03-2016 09:01 AM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  Yes. Because I think it's crazy to call their beliefs a "myth" but I guess that's what happens. It's just starting to sink in I guess.

Christians don't exactly hold back on the crazy. They go all in.

And now that I have taken a step back from it.. I'm starting to see this.