Bible question!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-03-2016, 05:10 PM
RE: Bible question!
(19-03-2016 12:43 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  In a very real sense, if someone wanted to turn Star Wars into a religion, never underestimate delusion in mass.

I thought that someone already did.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-03-2016, 05:12 PM
(19-03-2016 04:37 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  
(18-03-2016 09:50 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  As I state in most of my posts.. I joined this site in hopes of finding answers, new ideas, and new perspectives. I gather that some of the people here are religious and some.. As per the name of the site are not. I also have learned that some are ex Christians.
So this question can really be answered by any side.
The bible mentions Jewish myths and warns against them. But isn't the bible based on those "myths"? Why warn against them? or is it completely different?

Yahweh spends a lot of time in the Bible trying to discredit other religions, he actually makes a very big deal out of it in his 10 commandments. He only has 10 laws to give and wastes 4 of them on how great he is and he's so totally the only God, who is he trying to convince here? If he is truly the only God that created everything why is he so insecure about it? It seems he's not the only one and wants to take all the credit. A lot of Christianity is inspired by or outright stolen from other religions but mostly Judaism. It was important for the early followers to know they were following the one true God and that all the others were false, you would think they might be confused by all the similarities with the other Pagan beliefs of the time and since many Christians were ex-Jews it would make sense to single it out.

I've noticed a lot of modern day Christians also have a near phobia of learning about other beliefs and go out of their way to avoid evolutionary biology and astrophysics like it's the plague. Anything that make them question their entire foundation they've built their life on is very scary indeed. I would recommend learning as much as you can about all religions, old myths/folktales and philosophy. I have much more respect for believers who have done their research and approach their own holy book with an open mind. Your question is a good one and I hope you achieve more clarity.

Trump's commandments.

1. I'm YUGE! Believe me there's no problem.
2. I'll be best President ever.
3. Did I mention I am YUGE, OH YEA I DID, I'M YUGE!
4. I'll be the best President ever. FYI I'M YUGE!
5. Deport all the Jews....I meant wetba....Get the cattle cars.
6. Keep them Muslims out.
7. I'd like to punch em in the face.
8. Send em out on stretchers.
9. I'll build the best wall ever.
10. Let me repeat. I'M YUGE!

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Brian37's post
19-03-2016, 05:41 PM
(19-03-2016 04:46 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  
(19-03-2016 04:37 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  Yahweh spends a lot of time in the Bible trying to discredit other religions, he actually makes a very big deal out of it in his 10 commandments. He only has 10 laws to give and wastes 4 of them on how great he is and he's so totally the only God, who is he trying to convince here? If he is truly the only God that created everything why is he so insecure about it? It seems he's not the only one and wants to take all the credit. A lot of Christianity is inspired by or outright stolen from other religions but mostly Judaism. It was important for the early followers to know they were following the one true God and that all the others were false, you would think they might be confused by all the similarities with the other Pagan beliefs of the time and since many Christians were ex-Jews it would make sense to single it out.

I've noticed a lot of modern day Christians also have a near phobia of learning about other beliefs and go out of their way to avoid evolutionary biology and astrophysics like it's the plague. Anything that make them question their entire foundation they've built their life on is very scary indeed. I would recommend learning as much as you can about all religions, old myths/folktales and philosophy. I have much more respect for believers who have done their research and approach their own holy book with an open mind. Your question is a good one and I hope you achieve more clarity.

thank you so much! i really used to be into learning about the roman gods and goddesses and others alike. that was always my favorite study in school. when i started going to church on my own.. and picked a church "home" all of that vanished. i felt like i had no choice if i wanted to be a good person or please god. it really is the scariest thing i have done. the bible is pushed so deep down.. everytime i start to have questions verses come up in my head reminding me that im not supposed to do this. its like my religion is literally weighing me down. and its funny because when i was a christian i always said it set me free. its a real mess that i have gotten in lol.

I totally understand, I was Christian until I was 12 and even after for years up until my late teens I was more of an agnostic and I would sway between "There is no God" and "Well, maybe God is real." and then I just stopped completely and embraced atheism. I have to say once I let go of the entire concept I did feel free, and at peace. It may take some time but I'm sure once you choose a side you will feel the same way but it's not a bad thing to be questioning, we should always question our beliefs or they are no longer beliefs, they're just bars on a cage. Belief should be something you gain after seeking knowledge, not the other way around.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
19-03-2016, 05:43 PM
(19-03-2016 05:10 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  
(19-03-2016 12:43 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  In a very real sense, if someone wanted to turn Star Wars into a religion, never underestimate delusion in mass.

I thought that someone already did.

Right now it is a lark in part to counter old bigoted religion, but no one should be surprised if someone starts fights over it in the future and takes that shit literally.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-03-2016, 05:53 PM
(19-03-2016 05:41 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  
(19-03-2016 04:46 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  thank you so much! i really used to be into learning about the roman gods and goddesses and others alike. that was always my favorite study in school. when i started going to church on my own.. and picked a church "home" all of that vanished. i felt like i had no choice if i wanted to be a good person or please god. it really is the scariest thing i have done. the bible is pushed so deep down.. everytime i start to have questions verses come up in my head reminding me that im not supposed to do this. its like my religion is literally weighing me down. and its funny because when i was a christian i always said it set me free. its a real mess that i have gotten in lol.

I totally understand, I was Christian until I was 12 and even after for years up until my late teens I was more of an agnostic and I would sway between "There is no God" and "Well, maybe God is real." and then I just stopped completely and embraced atheism. I have to say once I let go of the entire concept I did feel free, and at peace. It may take some time but I'm sure once you choose a side you will feel the same way but it's not a bad thing to be questioning, we should always question our beliefs or they are no longer beliefs, they're just bars on a cage. Belief should be something you gain after seeking knowledge, not the other way around.

yeah its really tough. one day i feel really good about the direction im going in and the next i feel horrible.
20-03-2016, 02:20 PM
(19-03-2016 04:46 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  thank you so much! i really used to be into learning about the roman gods and goddesses and others alike. that was always my favorite study in school. when i started going to church on my own.. and picked a church "home" all of that vanished. i felt like i had no choice if i wanted to be a good person or please god. it really is the scariest thing i have done. the bible is pushed so deep down.. everytime i start to have questions verses come up in my head reminding me that im not supposed to do this. its like my religion is literally weighing me down. and its funny because when i was a christian i always said it set me free. its a real mess that i have gotten in lol.

That's the hooks and barbs of religion for you. Self-defense mechanisms built into the faith so that questioning or rejecting any part of it is extremely difficult. We may be able to help with some of that here but you might have a slightly easier time of it if you look up a liberal-leaning Christian group as well.

As to your question, Aliza has pretty much hit the nail on the head. The overwhelming majority of the antisemetism that runs throughout the New Testament can be chalked up to the first great schism of Christianity.

The first, original, true Christians (like that term has any meaning) were Messianic Jews living in Roman-occupied Judea. The occupation by the Roman Empire was pretty brutal and Messiahs were hardly uncommon, so when Jesus popped up he was able to gather a small, devoted following fairly easily. It's important to note that Jesus was a Jewish messiah, which means he was here to herald the comming of the apocaplypse, the destruction of the Roman Empire and pretty muc the flattening of the rest of the world so that God's chosen people could live in paradise. Jesus was never about saving you or me and if the Rapture ever comes there are going to be some very surprised and dissappointed folks in the Bible Belt.

That never gained much traction with mainstream Judaism because Messiahs were a dime a dozen and it flew in the face of their traditional beliefs. Sort of like the crazy guys you see howling that "The End Is Nigh" on street corners today. Then Jesus went and got himself nailed to the cross and that was pretty much it. It's hard to be the Messiah if you're dead. His church tried to hold it together for a while but for a scripturally literate Jew it was a complete non-starter. The relgion failed to gain a foothold outside of Judaea because you still had to follow all the strict rules including giving up bacon and chopping bits off the end of your dick. The last of the church was likely scattered or wiped out during the Jewish-Roman wars and the destruction of the Second Temple ~70 AD.

And that should have been that, but a funny thing happened on the road to Damascus and up pops a used camel salesman by the name of Saul of Tarsus (aka Paul the Apostle). Saul, originally one of the persecuters of early Christianity, has a vision wherein he meets the ressurected Jesus. He takes Christianity to the Romans and the Greeks but he does it smart, leaving off all those pesky bits about following Jewish laws and traditions. Basically he gutted Christianity, stuffed it with pagan beliefs and cooked it up as a Roman mystery cult. But because he pandered to the Romans and Greeks it was Pauline Christianity that caught on and survived in various form to the present day. Titus was a close chum of Paul and his Epistle is attributed to Paul, though more likely written by much later Pauline disciples, so it's no surprise to find Paul's sentiments in it.

Of course that lead to some impressive feuds within the early church, some of which are recorded in the Bible. The scriptural accounts are pretty tame versions of event but the fact that the Bible records any record of dissent whatsoever should tell you just how big the rifts really were.

There are some fun telltales that show how Christianity really was co-opted by the Romans:

- The Roman Catholic Church: Named after the people that Jesus was supposed to bring low and who nailed him to the cross.

- Communion: The whole 'drink of my blood and eat of my flesh' business couldn't be less Jewish if it had been served with a bacon double cheeseburger. The entire notion screams "Unclean!" to a 1st century Jew. It a good old-fashioned pagan blood ritual.

- The Crucifix: Touted by modern Christians as a symbol of hope and salvation, the cross was a symbol of humiliation, torture and Roman domination to the 1st century Jew. To a Roman it was a symbol of might, power and glory. It's a no-brainer to figure out who will and who won't be using this to decorate their churches.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 6 users Like Paleophyte's post
20-03-2016, 03:50 PM
Paleophyte your post is spot on but also very funny. " the religion failed to gain foothold outside judea because you have to follow trick rules including giving up bacon and chopping bits of the end of your dick" Laugh out loadLaugh out load LMAO

Religion is bullshit. The winner of the last person to post wins thread.Yes
20-03-2016, 07:52 PM
(18-03-2016 09:50 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  As I state in most of my posts.. I joined this site in hopes of finding answers, new ideas, and new perspectives. I gather that some of the people here are religious and some.. As per the name of the site are not. I also have learned that some are ex Christians.
The bible mentions Jewish myths and warns against them. But isn't the bible based on those "myths"? Why warn against them? or is it completely different?

Good to see you reading and questioning, both great things. If I may be so bold, here are three areas which have a plethora of well researched information on this topic:

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ce-Library

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...rce-thread

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...other-Look

Have a look. Thumbsup

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
20-03-2016, 08:19 PM
(20-03-2016 07:52 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  

Good to see you reading and questioning, both great things. If I may be so bold, here are three areas which have a plethora of well researched information on this topic:

Have a look. Thumbsup

thank you! i will get right on that!
20-03-2016, 08:27 PM
(20-03-2016 08:19 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  
(20-03-2016 07:52 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Good to see you reading and questioning, both great things. If I may be so bold, here are three areas which have a plethora of well researched information on this topic:

Have a look. Thumbsup

thank you! i will get right on that!

If you have any questions that my resource library do not answer, feel free to ask me, here, pm, email, whatever. I have been at this awhile and have probably come across it a time or twelve.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)