Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-11-2015, 06:56 AM
Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?
(02-11-2015 07:28 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Most science isn't proof of too much. It's mostly educated guesses and theories that don't even correlate with one another. I personally take scientific evidence very seriously, but science in no way refuted God, nor does it explain the origin of our existence.

You have no understanding of what science is or does. You have shown that repeatedly. You are a blind, ignorant fool.

Quote:You can say I am delusional, you can say the Creator is a myth, but you can't back it up at all with proof. I, on the other hand have proof of what I know. It isn't proof to any third party like scientifically tested theories but it is proof for me.

You have no idea what "proof" is and you are, as far as anybody else can tell, quite delusional. Get help pops, you need it.

(02-11-2015 07:37 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  And although every once in a while I will read something that doesn't agree with what I know believe, I [don't] understand that I do not know everything much.

Fixed that for you.

Quote:I assure you; I am not pretending at all.

That is the truly sad part. Get help pops, you need it.

(02-11-2015 11:24 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  I know most of you feel like you know there isn't a God, and that you won't learn anything from what I say, but keeping up some unneeded, negative front out of arrogance or pride is a sure fire way to not learn shit.

Only some atheists say they know there is no god. That's been made clear over and over on this site and it is apparent that you are the one who refuses to learn anything from what anybody says. You claim absolute knowledge based on personal experience that you can't demonstrate to anybody else. If that isn't arrogance and pride then I don't know what would be a better example. You certainly have not learned shit from your time here. You are still the ignorant, arrogant fool that you started off as. Get help pops, you need it.

(03-11-2015 12:10 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  The Sumarians actually knew not only that the earth was somewhat oblong, but that it wobbled on its axis.

Citation required

(03-11-2015 01:09 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  I'm not sure how it could be tested. That's not the point.

Yes, it is. If you can't test and verify then you have no reasonable basis for belief.

Quote:And it doesn't involve survival of the fittest in any violent, negative way.

And you demonstrate again that you don't understand what you are talking about.

Quote:I do not think that the Jews actually completely desimated all of those people under the true direction of God. It is possible that even they where mislead somehow. It was after the death of Moses, and the bible tells us that they often went of the chosen path many times. This could actually be one of the reasons that GOD prescribed so much punishment on these people. I really am not sure.

According to the book, god actually devised strategies and led attacks. Re-read Joshua if you don't believe me. You deny it because it is uncomfortable to face the fact that the "scripture" is a convoluted, contradictory mess unless you gloss over all the parts you don't already happen to agree with.

Quote:What I do know is that it doesn't align well with other scripture or what I know personally of our direction under God.

Exactly. Anything you agree with is god-inspired. Anything you don't agree with is dismissed one way or another. You are so deeply deluded you are completely unable to think rationally.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
03-11-2015, 08:27 AM
RE: Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?
(02-11-2015 11:17 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(02-11-2015 11:11 PM)TheMrBillShow Wrote:  Why the ambiguity?

His god hides in the ambiguity. Drinking Beverage
I know this may be a dumb question but what is ":cup:"?
03-11-2015, 08:30 AM
RE: Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?
It means the emoticon for a guy reading the paper while sipping coffee is not showing up on your computer, for some reason. The code for smilies, etc, here is :whateverpropercodewordgoeshere:

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
03-11-2015, 09:19 AM
(03-11-2015 06:56 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Exactly. Anything you agree with is god-inspired. Anything you don't agree with is dismissed one way or another. You are so deeply deluded you are completely unable to think rationally.

This, this right here is a perfect synopsis of the deeply indoctrinated folks suffering from severe belief perseverance. They are just using their own (not god's) sensibilities to rationalize a concept that they cannot abandon, because they emotionally need it so bad to be true. This is the biggest loophole of faith IMO - anything will work using following this logic, anything!

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
03-11-2015, 09:27 AM
(03-11-2015 08:27 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(02-11-2015 11:17 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  His god hides in the ambiguity. Drinking Beverage
I know this may be a dumb question but what is ":cup:"?

If you're viewing this forum in a proper web browser, that's forum code that shows an emoticon. In this case, one with a very dismissive look on his face that's more interested in the coffee in his cup and the newspaper in his hands, I use it to likewise indicate my own dismissal; in this case my dismissal of pop's ephemeral and vague god concept that hides inside ambiguity.

But yeah, just using the Drinking Beverage emoticon conveys that meaning with far fewer words.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
03-11-2015, 09:38 AM
(01-11-2015 03:36 PM)Alla Wrote:  
Stevil Wrote:What is god, how big is god, what does god weigh, what is god made of, how is god able to think without a physical brain? Can you answer these questions?
goodwithoutgod Wrote:Who heard god say anything?
Who was sitting there beside god in never never land of nothingness with a pen and paper writing down what this god said in reference to creating light?
Where did god say he created heaven and earth? Who was there to record that? What is god. How big is god? What is before god? Which god?
Can you answer these questions?
Sure, I can answer them.
These are great questions. But there is one problem. People who ask them don't want to know the answers.

How can you say the people who ask these questions don't want to know the answers? How can you possibly judge what I want to know and what I don't? I asked these questions for years. The problem is not that people don't want to know the answers. The problem is the answers you give are patently absurd given what we know about the reality of our existence.

**Crickets** -- God
[+] 2 users Like Tonechaser77's post
03-11-2015, 10:01 AM
(03-11-2015 06:56 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(02-11-2015 07:28 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Most science isn't proof of too much. It's mostly educated guesses and theories that don't even correlate with one another. I personally take scientific evidence very seriously, but science in no way refuted God, nor does it explain the origin of our existence.

You have no understanding of what science is or does. You have shown that repeatedly. You are a blind, ignorant fool.

Quote:You can say I am delusional, you can say the Creator is a myth, but you can't back it up at all with proof. I, on the other hand have proof of what I know. It isn't proof to any third party like scientifically tested theories but it is proof for me.
I test things quite often. Just because I can't test them for you to show you, doesn't mean I blindly follow anything. Your defence is weak. Call me crazy and arrogant all you want. It has little to do with you being a closed minded hypocrite based on absolutely no proof of what you claim. At least I have personal proof and don't go around telling people they need mental help because they don't agree with me.
I'm bored with you. Your defences are tired and based in personal belief with no evidence to back them. No shit irony. Got work will be back later
(02-11-2015 07:37 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  And although every once in a while I will read something that doesn't agree with what I know believe, I [don't] understand that I do not know everything much.

Fixed that for you.

Quote:I assure you; I am not pretending at all.

(02-11-2015 11:24 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  I know most of you feel like you know there isn't a God, and that you won't learn anything from what I say, but keeping up some unneeded, negative front out of arrogance or pride is a sure fire way to not learn shit.

(03-11-2015 12:10 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  The Sumarians actually knew not only that the earth was somewhat oblong, but that it wobbled on its axis.

(03-11-2015 01:09 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  I'm not sure how it could be tested. That's not the point.

Yes, it is. If you can't test and verify then you have no reasonable basis for belief.

Quote:And it doesn't involve survival of the fittest in any violent, negative way.

And you demonstrate again that you don't understand what you are talking about.

Quote:I do not think that the Jews actually completely desimated all of those people under the true direction of God. It is possible that even they where mislead somehow. It was after the death of Moses, and the bible tells us that they often went of the chosen path many times. This could actually be one of the reasons that GOD prescribed so much punishment on these people. I really am not sure.

According to the book, god actually devised strategies and led attacks. Re-read Joshua if you don't believe me. You deny it because it is uncomfortable to face the fact that the "scripture" is a convoluted, contradictory mess unless you gloss over all the parts you don't already happen to agree with.

Quote:What I do know is that it doesn't align well with other scripture or what I know personally of our direction under God.

Exactly. Anything you agree with is god-inspired. Anything you don't agree with is dismissed one way or another. You are so deeply deluded you are completely unable to think rationally.
03-11-2015, 10:07 AM (This post was last modified: 03-11-2015 10:15 AM by Peebothuhul.)
(03-11-2015 10:01 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  I test things quite often. Just because I can't test them for you to show you, doesn't mean I blindly follow anything. Your defence is weak. Call me crazy and arrogant all you want. It has little to do with you being a closed minded hypocrite based on absolutely no proof of what you claim. At least I have personal proof and don't go around telling people they need mental help because they don't agree with me.
I'm bored with you. Your defences are tired and based in personal belief with no evidence to back them. No shit irony. Got work will be back later

Least, I think that's what you wanted to post. Getting the "[ ]" things right can be a pain.
03-11-2015, 10:10 AM (This post was last modified: 03-11-2015 10:15 AM by jason_delisle.)
This is just a general question to anyone who wants to answer. Just out of curiosity, how do you feel about someone who claims to have had a vision of some kind where God actually spoke to them and was so convinced in his experience that despite knowing there could be a reasonable explanation in the realms of Psychology and Physiology he believed it to be true.

I know this is a run on sentence... but eh.
03-11-2015, 10:12 AM
(03-11-2015 10:07 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  
(03-11-2015 10:01 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  I test things quite often. Just because I can't test them for you to show you, doesn't mean I blindly follow anything. Your defence is weak. Call me crazy and arrogant all you want. It has little to do with you being a closed minded hypocrite based on absolutely no proof of what you claim. At least I have personal proof and don't go around telling people they need mental help because they don't agree with me.

(03-11-2015 10:01 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Exactly. Anything you agree with is god-inspired. Anything you don't agree with is dismissed one way or another. You are so deeply deluded you are completely unable to think rationally.

Least, I think that's what you wanted to post. Getting the "[ ]" things right can be a pain.

That second quote is me, not Pops.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP