Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-11-2015, 03:36 PM
RE: Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?
Film makers say Genesis claims God created light, Genesis does not claim such thing. I don't get it. Why do they say this?

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2015, 03:37 PM
RE: Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?
(03-11-2015 03:36 PM)Alla Wrote:  Film makers say Genesis claims God created light, Genesis does not claim such thing. I don't get it. Why do they say this?
Genesis 1:3
03-11-2015, 03:39 PM
(03-11-2015 03:36 PM)Alla Wrote:  Film makers say Genesis claims God created light, Genesis does not claim such thing. I don't get it. Why do they say this?

I answered this already. Perhaps you missed it. Genesis 1:3 says: "And God said let there be light. And there was light." How is that not God creating light?
03-11-2015, 03:41 PM
Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?
(03-11-2015 02:47 PM)Alla Wrote:  You are an atheist. God knows this.

Can you tell me how it is that you apparently know what your God knows? Why can you say so confidently that God knows so many things? Aren't you being a bit presumptuous in claiming to know God's thoughts?

And are there any things that God doesn't know the answer to? Apparently. For example, he seems to be very ignorant of medicine, in that he can't heal a 5-year-old child dying a prolonged and painful death from leukemia. If he was truly omniscient and omnipotent, then something as simple as a cancer cure should be easy work for him shouldn't it? After all, Luke 18:16 talks about Jesus saying "suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God". Why the obvious contradiction—first God's supposedly saving children, but then he's letting them die in pain if he feels like it. That's pretty nasty in my book.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
03-11-2015, 03:41 PM
(03-11-2015 01:10 PM)SYZ Wrote:  And if God is advising you daily about which path to take in your life, why is it that you still falter (unsure of God's advice maybe?) or stumble (God's advice was unhelpful?). As an atheist, I make many mistakes—or at the least less favourable decisions—in my daily life. Would you say that, with God's help, you make less mistakes than I do? Or can you not quantify this sort of thing?

Great questions.
P.S. By the way I replied to your post to me. I think somewhere on page 12.

Q: And if God is advising you daily about which path to take in your life, why is it that you still falter (unsure of God's advice maybe?) or stumble (God's advice was unhelpful?).
A: Because I am not perfect. I have my weaknesses and I can not resist temptations.

Q: As an atheist, I make many mistakes—or at the least less favourable decisions—in my daily life. Would you say that, with God's help, you make less mistakes than I do? Or can you not quantify this sort of thing?
A: I wouldn't compare you and me. Both of us make lots of mistakes. But I know for sure that with God you have an opportunity to make less mistakes.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
03-11-2015, 03:42 PM
(03-11-2015 10:10 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  This is just a general question to anyone who wants to answer. Just out of curiosity, how do you feel about someone who claims to have had a vision of some kind where God actually spoke to them and was so convinced in his experience that despite knowing there could be a reasonable explanation in the realms of Psychology and Physiology he believed it to be true.

I know this is a run on sentence... but eh.
As someone who had a vision, I can chime in. A vision or similar experience should not be taken at face value. Instead it should be considered along with a variety of circumstances and facts. Questions should include:

What was the vision exactly?

From where could it originate? Could it simply be images and sensory input from within my own brain?

Why did I see/hear/feel this?

Does it come from past teachings?

Why would a deity send it to me?

And so on. It should be considered and not just taken 100% as The Real Truth. I was still a theist when I had it, and I still questioned my own vision.
03-11-2015, 03:43 PM
(03-11-2015 03:39 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  

I answered this already. Perhaps you missed it. Genesis 1:3 says: "And God said let there be light. And there was light." How is that not God creating light?
If you are suggesting that God did not create light then who did?
03-11-2015, 03:45 PM
(03-11-2015 03:41 PM)Alla Wrote:  P.S. By the way I replied to your post to me. I think somewhere on page 12.

Thanks Alla. I caught up with your response. Smile

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
03-11-2015, 03:48 PM
(03-11-2015 03:43 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(03-11-2015 03:39 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I answered this already. Perhaps you missed it. Genesis 1:3 says: "And God said let there be light. And there was light." How is that not God creating light?
If you are suggesting that God did not create light then who did?

I'm not sure to whom you're responding. I'm saying only that Genesis does seem to make the claim that God created light. Alla denies that it makes such a claim. I would like to hear her alternative -- someone else created it, or it was not created at all? It sure sounds to me like Genesis is claiming that God created it.
03-11-2015, 03:49 PM
(03-11-2015 03:41 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(03-11-2015 02:47 PM)Alla Wrote:  You are an atheist. God knows this.

Can you tell me how it is that you apparently know what your God knows? Why can you say so confidently that God knows so many things? Aren't you being a bit presumptuous in claiming to know God's thoughts?

And are there any things that God doesn't know the answer to? Apparently. For example, he seems to be very ignorant of medicine, in that he can't heal a 5-year-old child dying a prolonged and painful death from leukemia. If he was truly omniscient and omnipotent, then something as simple as a cancer cure should be easy work for him shouldn't it? After all, Luke 18:16 talks about Jesus saying "suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God". Why the obvious contradiction—first God's supposedly saving children, but then he's letting them die in pain if he feels like it. That's pretty nasty in my book.
Your reference to Luke is not correct.