Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-11-2015, 03:51 PM
RE: Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?
(03-11-2015 03:41 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(03-11-2015 02:47 PM)Alla Wrote:  You are an atheist. God knows this.
Can you tell me how it is that you apparently know what your God knows?
There is only one way to know what God knows. Through revelation from Him.
(03-11-2015 03:41 PM)SYZ Wrote:  Why can you say so confidently that God knows so many things? Aren't you being a bit presumptuous in claiming to know God's thoughts?
I can not know anybody's thoughts until they are told(revealed) to me.
(03-11-2015 03:41 PM)SYZ Wrote:  And are there any things that God doesn't know the answer to?
Yes, there are some things our God doesn't know because He doesn't have or doesn't need to know.
(03-11-2015 03:41 PM)SYZ Wrote:  Apparently. For example, he seems to be very ignorant of medicine, in that he can't heal a 5-year-old child dying a prolonged and painful death from leukemia. If he was truly omniscient and omnipotent, then something as simple as a cancer cure should be easy work for him shouldn't it?
If you knew why God sends us here you wouldn't ask this question. God sends us here to learn many things. To find cure from sicknesses is one of those things we have to learn. this is how you become like God. God knows how to heal sick and we have to learn. Slowly, one step at the time.
(03-11-2015 03:41 PM)SYZ Wrote:  After all, Luke 18:16 talks about Jesus saying "suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God". Why the obvious contradiction—first God's supposedly saving children, but then he's letting them die in pain if he feels like it. That's pretty nasty in my book.
I can't answer this question in a few sentences. If you know why we come here you would know the answer. Do you want to know why you are here on Earth?
Do you know why God placed tree of knowledge of good and EVIL in the midst of garden and gave Adam and Eve agency to choose? Do you know why God placed serpent in the midst of garden?

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2015, 03:52 PM
RE: Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?
(03-11-2015 03:42 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  
(03-11-2015 10:10 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  This is just a general question to anyone who wants to answer. Just out of curiosity, how do you feel about someone who claims to have had a vision of some kind where God actually spoke to them and was so convinced in his experience that despite knowing there could be a reasonable explanation in the realms of Psychology and Physiology he believed it to be true.

I know this is a run on sentence... but eh.
As someone who had a vision, I can chime in. A vision or similar experience should not be taken at face value. Instead it should be considered along with a variety of circumstances and facts. Questions should include:

What was the vision exactly?

From where could it originate? Could it simply be images and sensory input from within my own brain?

Why did I see/hear/feel this?

Does it come from past teachings?

Why would a deity send it to me?

And so on. It should be considered and not just taken 100% as The Real Truth. I was still a theist when I had it, and I still questioned my own vision.
Would you be willing to describe your vision ? What if you asked yourself these questions and yet found no real answer to explain it's origin?
03-11-2015, 03:53 PM
Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?
(03-11-2015 03:39 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  [...] Genesis 1:3 says: "And God said let there be light. And there was light." How is that not God creating light?

Is it possible that the Genesis "light" is similar to the 2 Corinthians 4:6 "light"?

For God, who said, "Let light shine out of darkness," made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of God's glory displayed in the face of Christ.

The word light (and darkness) could be used in a metaphorical sense possibly?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
03-11-2015, 03:56 PM
to grasshopper and Jason_delisle

Grasshopper: I answered this already. Perhaps you missed it. Genesis 1:3 says: "And God said let there be light. And there was light." How is that not God creating light?
I don't see word "created". I came into dark room. I said: "let it be light" and turned on the switch. Did I create light?

03-11-2015, 03:56 PM
(03-11-2015 03:53 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(03-11-2015 03:39 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  [...] Genesis 1:3 says: "And God said let there be light. And there was light." How is that not God creating light?

Is it possible that the Genesis "light" is similar to the 2 Corinthians 4:6 "light"?

For God, who said, "Let light shine out of darkness," made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of God's glory displayed in the face of Christ.

But then the scripture goes on to say that he separated the light from the darkness and called the light "day" and the darkness "night". It seems rather specific to me unless it is one of the things that Joseph claimed that Christians had wrong.
03-11-2015, 04:01 PM
(03-11-2015 03:43 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(03-11-2015 03:39 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I answered this already. Perhaps you missed it. Genesis 1:3 says: "And God said let there be light. And there was light." How is that not God creating light?
If you are suggesting that God did not create light then who did?
what is light?
God creates sources of light. Better to say God organizes sources of light.
Better to say God commands elements and they(elements) organize themselves.

03-11-2015, 04:05 PM
(03-11-2015 03:53 PM)SYZ Wrote:  

aren't we all literally sources of light? light that is not visible with naked eye?

03-11-2015, 04:06 PM
(03-11-2015 04:01 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(03-11-2015 03:43 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  If you are suggesting that God did not create light then who did?
what is light?
God creates sources of light. Better to say God [b]organizes[b] sources of light.
Now I am no physicist but from what I remember from science class is that light is any wavelength that falls within the visible portion of the electromagnetic spectrum between ultraviolet and infrared. But I am sure there are plenty of individuals here who can better explain.
03-11-2015, 04:14 PM
(03-11-2015 03:56 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  But then the scripture goes on to say that he separated the light from the darkness and called the light "day" and the darkness "night". It seems rather specific to me unless it is one of the things that Joseph claimed that Christians had wrong.
Did you notice that words light and day have capital first letter in this verse? And called the light "Day" and the darkness 'Night".
God tells us that we will call "Night" time when there is no Sun light. We will call "Day" time when there is Sun light.
It is not that God literally divide light and darkness. He divides different time of the day.

03-11-2015, 04:15 PM
(03-11-2015 04:06 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(03-11-2015 04:01 PM)Alla Wrote:  what is light?
God creates sources of light. Better to say God [b]organizes[b] sources of light.
Now I am no physicist but from what I remember from science class is that light is any wavelength that falls within the visible portion of the electromagnetic spectrum between ultraviolet and infrared. But I am sure there are plenty of individuals here who can better explain.
If there is light there is source of light. So, if God created light according to you it means God created source of light. What is it? what is the source?