Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-11-2015, 02:10 PM
RE: Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?
(04-11-2015 07:55 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(04-11-2015 07:07 AM)morondog Wrote:  Winzip is of the devil Big Grin

Winzip is the optimum of the mass storage. Drinking Beverage

That's what she said

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-11-2015, 02:21 PM
RE: Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?
(04-11-2015 12:41 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(04-11-2015 12:36 PM)Chas Wrote:  But you have to understand I cannot accept a theistic explanation unless someone gives me absolute proof that the universe was in fact created by God from nothing. The best you can hope for is to prove that we don't yet have an answer, but that theistic answers explain nothing.
Understandable and agreed. That is why I feel it is pointless to try to "convert" anyone on this forum. The best we can do is listen to each other's point of view and "respectfully disagree". Tongue. When I say "respectfully disagree" I really think it is more fun to make humorous satire out of it. Smile

Theistic answers... you think they explain stuff?

Gobbo the goblin created the universe. Einstein, the man who could only drink one beer, sustains it. It will be destroyed by Phlush, the toilet demon, tomorrow.

Feeling edified? Feeling convinced?

OK How about this. GOD created the universe. He created it for MAN. MAN is the CHILD of GOD. But man *errs*, man *sins*, man goes against what GOD HATH WROUGHTETHETH. Therefore man must be PUNISHED. Aforementioned punishment to be applied eternally post-mortem to the part of man that survives aforementioned mortem. Man CAN be SAVED though!!! IF only he believeth in GOD and accepts that the SON of GOD was NAILED to an ancient torture device to MYSTICALLY make GOD less angry that MAN stuck it in the wrong hole.

What? Number two is more believable? Why? Oh. Centuries of scripture copying by sincere men who thought it was true.

That's literally *fucking* IT. That's *all* that differentiates the belief in Gobbo the Goblin from Jesus.

Please, do explain how the Jesus thing does it for you? 'Cos it way the fuck doesn't look like anything comprehensible, never mind convincing, to me.

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
04-11-2015, 02:28 PM
(04-11-2015 08:16 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  One problem with this explanation is that God didn't get around to creating any sources of light (sun, "moon", stars, etc.) until several days later. They didn't exist yet when he said "let there be light".
You are basically writing your own fiction loosely based on Genesis. None of that crazy stuff is in Genesis. But God creating light is in Genesis.
1) Genesis says that God created stars and Moon in heaven. What is heaven? and what makes you think that there were no stars(sources of light) outside of heaven?
2)You say God created light. What was the source of that light? can it be light without any source? did I miss something when I was in school?
3) Genesis does NOT claim that God created light. You don't even know what heaven is and how big heaven is. You don't even know if there was and there is something beyond that heaven Moses was telling us about. Smile

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
04-11-2015, 02:33 PM
(04-11-2015 02:21 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(04-11-2015 12:41 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Understandable and agreed. That is why I feel it is pointless to try to "convert" anyone on this forum. The best we can do is listen to each other's point of view and "respectfully disagree". Tongue. When I say "respectfully disagree" I really think it is more fun to make humorous satire out of it. Smile

Gobbo the goblin created the universe. Einstein, the man who could only drink one beer, sustains it. It will be destroyed by Phlush, the toilet demon, tomorrow.

OK How about this. GOD created the universe. He created it for MAN. MAN is the CHILD of GOD. But man *errs*, man *sins*, man goes against what GOD HATH WROUGHTETHETH. Therefore man must be PUNISHED. Aforementioned punishment to be applied eternally post-mortem to the part of man that survives aforementioned mortem. Man CAN be SAVED though!!! IF only he believeth in GOD and accepts that the SON of GOD was NAILED to an ancient torture device to MYSTICALLY make GOD less angry that MAN stuck it in the wrong hole.

What? Number two is more believable? Why? Oh. Centuries of scripture copying by sincere men who thought it was true.

That's literally *fucking* IT. That's *all* that differentiates the belief in Gobbo the Goblin from Jesus.

Please, do explain how the Jesus thing does it for you? 'Cos it way the fuck doesn't look like anything comprehensible, never mind convincing, to me.
What do you have against Gobbo? We were buddies in college and is the godfather to my boys. Say what you want but leave Gobbo out of this.
[+] 2 users Like jason_delisle's post
04-11-2015, 02:35 PM
(04-11-2015 02:33 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  What do you have against Gobbo? We were buddies in college and is the godfather to my boys. Say what you want but leave Gobbo out of this.

I appreciate a theist with a sense of humour Smile But I hope this isn't a dodge, amigo. Can you really explain what's so convincing about the Jesus story - or other religious story of your choice?

[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
04-11-2015, 02:44 PM
(04-11-2015 02:28 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(04-11-2015 08:16 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  One problem with this explanation is that God didn't get around to creating any sources of light (sun, "moon", stars, etc.) until several days later. They didn't exist yet when he said "let there be light".
You are basically writing your own fiction loosely based on Genesis. None of that crazy stuff is in Genesis. But God creating light is in Genesis.
1) Genesis says that God created stars and Moon in heaven. What is heaven? and what makes you think that there were no stars(sources of light) outside of heaven?
2)You say God created light. What was the source of that light? can it be light without any source? did I miss something when I was in school?
3) Genesis does NOT claim that God created light. You don't even know what heaven is and how big heaven is. You don't even know if there was and there is something beyond that heaven Moses was telling us about. Smile

Whatever you say, ma'am. Genesis is fiction anyway, so I can't get too worked up about it. But the woo that you're pitching is also fiction, and it's a different fiction than Genesis. That's all I'm saying.

As for what I don't know, "that would fill a book" (as someone once said). I have no problem admitting to the limits of my knowledge. At least I don't pretend to have absolute knowledge about things that aren't even real.
[+] 3 users Like Grasshopper's post
04-11-2015, 02:46 PM
(04-11-2015 12:41 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(04-11-2015 12:36 PM)Chas Wrote:  But you have to understand I cannot accept a theistic explanation unless someone gives me absolute proof that the universe was in fact created by God from nothing. The best you can hope for is to prove that we don't yet have an answer, but that theistic answers explain nothing.
Understandable and agreed. That is why I feel it is pointless to try to "convert" anyone on this forum. The best we can do is listen to each other's point of view and "respectfully disagree". Tongue. When I say "respectfully disagree" I really think it is more fun to make humorous satire out of it. Smile

Works for me. Big Grin

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-11-2015, 02:48 PM
(04-11-2015 02:35 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(04-11-2015 02:33 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  What do you have against Gobbo? We were buddies in college and is the godfather to my boys. Say what you want but leave Gobbo out of this.

I appreciate a theist with a sense of humour Smile But I hope this isn't a dodge, amigo. Can you really explain what's so convincing about the Jesus story - or other religious story of your choice?
Well... to answer your question is difficult to articulate (as you probably expected). I recommend reading a book called "A Case For Christ" by Lee Stobel. You may or may not have heard of it. But basically the author was an investigative journalist and an atheist. When his wife became a christian he set out to use his investigative skills to act as a prosecuting attorney of sorts to debunk Christianity. However during the two year investigation he becomes convinced of the evidence and ironically becomes a christian. I would check it out.
04-11-2015, 02:49 PM
(04-11-2015 01:43 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(04-11-2015 12:26 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Ok. I pick up what you are throwing down . I guess I misunderstood your point. But yeah...I agree with most of what you are saying. Btw, I just wanted to explain my meaning of "atheistic explaination" being any explaination where a god or gods had no involvement. Not necessarily intended for any specific theory. I think that's a fair statement. I am not going to debate with you further about the subject because I am very interested to watch the video tonight after the boys are in bed.

Fair enough, but it is important to understand that there's no need to accept any explanation, atheistic or theistic, until there is sufficient evidence to support it. You don't have to believe that the universe came from nothing, or from a multiverse, or any other no-god-involved cause to also not accept the claim that a god created it. It is perfectly justifiable to leave it at "I don't know".

There is a very normal tendency to pick the explanation that seems to make the most sense even if it lacks the evidence to support it. It feels good to think that we have an answer even if we can't justify it. That is something that should be fought at every turn. If the evidence isn't there then belief should be withheld.

That ↑↑↑

Are we long lost brothers? Consider

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
04-11-2015, 02:51 PM
(04-11-2015 02:21 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(04-11-2015 12:41 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Understandable and agreed. That is why I feel it is pointless to try to "convert" anyone on this forum. The best we can do is listen to each other's point of view and "respectfully disagree". Tongue. When I say "respectfully disagree" I really think it is more fun to make humorous satire out of it. Smile

Yeah, that. ↑↑↑

When did you stop being a moron, dawg? Huh

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post