Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-11-2015, 10:28 AM
People actually buy into this?
(05-11-2015 10:26 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(05-11-2015 09:40 AM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Because you are positing that god is a real explanation for a real phenomena in the real world and you are defending this as a reasonable and rational position to hold, superior to the alternitive, until someone proves you wrong.
You don't get to offer as an explanation something and then make the argument you don't have to justify or support that explanation. That's your bloody job as the person offering the explanation.

Your making claims and then running off to hide behind the, tediously common among thiests to the point of being a trope, position that you don't have to defend your assertions because your not trying to convince anyone. Thats not how it works. If you want to share your beliefs and then refuse to support, justify, or defend them in anyway what so ever the second they are challenged your free to do that but it adds nothing to the conversation and it shows how infantile and indefensible those beliefs actually are.

You're just a another theist with a god of the Gaps belief and a hand full of fallacies with no substance to your beliefs.

I do enjoy your sense of humor though, even if you do seem to like to dodge any kinda criticism leveled your way as fast as you possibly can.
I was asked what I believe. I answered it. Why would it matter to you why I believe anything? Do you have a better explanation to the origin of the universe other than everything came from nothing for absolutely no reason? I dont. So until a better one....Tongue
We always hear that on this forum "for no reason" so what exactly is this great "reason" that the universe was created for?

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-11-2015, 10:31 AM
RE: Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?
(05-11-2015 09:47 AM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(05-11-2015 08:54 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  It is because one person's view differs from another's. If someone wants to change the view of others they must provide evidence to prove or disprove the opposition.
Wrong. You must provide evidence once you make a claim, your intent to convert other people is irrelevant it's the making the claim that counts.

This is an obfuscation commonly employed by theists, a way of making whatever nonsense claims they want without accepting the responsibility of supporting those claims which they never can and know they can't.

Do you have any demonstrable evidence to support the conclusion you yourself have come to believe or have you simply come here to act like a theistic toddler: vomiting nonsense all over the place without the adult responsibility of cleaning it up?
What is the difference between a claim and an opinion?
05-11-2015, 10:33 AM
RE: People actually buy into this?
(05-11-2015 10:28 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(05-11-2015 10:26 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I was asked what I believe. I answered it. Why would it matter to you why I believe anything? Do you have a better explanation to the origin of the universe other than everything came from nothing for absolutely no reason? I dont. So until a better one....Tongue
We always hear that on this forum "for no reason" so what exactly is this great "reason" that the universe was created for?
Well since you are asking give me a few and I will give you "my opinion".
05-11-2015, 10:39 AM
RE: Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?
(05-11-2015 10:28 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(05-11-2015 10:26 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I was asked what I believe. I answered it. Why would it matter to you why I believe anything? Do you have a better explanation to the origin of the universe other than everything came from nothing for absolutely no reason? I dont. So until a better one....Tongue

Shits and giggles would be my guess.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
05-11-2015, 10:51 AM
(05-11-2015 10:39 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(05-11-2015 10:28 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  We always hear that on this forum "for no reason" so what exactly is this great "reason" that the universe was created for?

Shits and giggles would be my guess.
Sorry for the late reply. I was knee deep in baby crap that I had to take care of. So what is this great purpose you ask? Well since you ask, my opinion is that God created the universe and the world because he was simply lonely and wanted to fill his kingdom with people he could love and who would love him back.

But like I said, this is my opinion. All the "evidence" I have to support this is found in the bible. Since atheist obviously think the bible is a fairy tail, it would be like reading a nursery rhyme to prove that cows can jump over the moon. But anyway. Here is my opinion.
05-11-2015, 10:53 AM
(05-11-2015 09:37 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  ... I personally have no reason not to believe. It wouldn't make my life any different. I would actually add that my faith has done more good in my life than not ...

That sounds like a direct contradiction: your life no different vs your life is better. I assume the latter is your true stance else there'd be no point in deep discussion about something that makes no difference.

So terrific.

List a few things that your belief has improved, e.g. you're more forgiving, perhaps, or more likely to grant favors - whatever they are, I'd like to know what YOU consider them to be, specifically. So write some of them down.

Then ask, are any of them beyond the reach of an atheist to attain?

If not, then why does it take faith in your case to get there?

Well, you may say, what does it matter HOW you get there? That you get there is the key thing, right?

NO!!!

The how is everything. If two people act as decent human beings, one directly, but the other only in the cause of allegiance to something inhuman, that other is achieving decency via a step removed from humanity itself. And is therefore serving an interest outside the interests of humanity, and capable of, among other things, flying a loaded airliner into a skyscraper to fulfill allegiance to the inhuman contruct.

A believer by faith, in other words, is a potential menace. The direct needs and desires of humanity are overridden by what the theist imagines his deity wants. We see its effects in the media every day.

So what's your list of life's improvements via faith, that you can't achieve except by faith? And are they beyond the reach of the atheist, and why?
[+] 1 user Likes Airportkid's post
05-11-2015, 10:53 AM
(05-11-2015 08:42 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I believe a god (specifically the God of Abraham ) created the universe with a power so great that no man can comprehend. Why? Because it makes more sense in my opinion than nothing created everything for no reason.

Why do you treat those as the only two alternatives?

Why do you seem to think that there had to be a reason for the universe regardless of the cause?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
05-11-2015, 10:57 AM
(05-11-2015 10:53 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  
(05-11-2015 09:37 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  ... I personally have no reason not to believe. It wouldn't make my life any different. I would actually add that my faith has done more good in my life than not ...

That sounds like a direct contradiction: your life no different vs your life is better. I assume the latter is your true stance else there'd be no point in deep discussion about something that makes no difference.

So terrific.

List a few things that your belief has improved, e.g. you're more forgiving, perhaps, or more likely to grant favors - whatever they are, I'd like to know what YOU consider them to be, specifically. So write some of them down.

Then ask, are any of them beyond the reach of an atheist to attain?

If not, then why does it take faith in your case to get there?

Well, you may say, what does it matter HOW you get there? That you get there is the key thing, right?

NO!!!

The how is everything. If two people act as decent human beings, one directly, but the other only in the cause of allegiance to something inhuman, that other is achieving decency via a step removed from humanity itself. And is therefore serving an interest outside the interests of humanity, and capable of, among other things, flying a loaded airliner into a skyscraper to fulfill allegiance to the inhuman contruct.

A believer by faith, in other words, is a potential menace. The direct needs and desires of humanity are overridden by what the theist imagines his deity wants. We see its effects in the media every day.

So what's your list of life's improvements via faith, that you can't achieve except by faith? And are they beyond the reach of the atheist, and why?
First, it is not a contradiction to say that rejecting my faith will not have any positive effect on my life but it is more beneficial for me to believe.

Second, what benefits do I have from being a Christian? Google "four killed in car accident jacksonville nc ".... you will find a good reason why I prefer to be a theist.
05-11-2015, 10:58 AM
People actually buy into this?
(05-11-2015 10:51 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(05-11-2015 10:39 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Shits and giggles would be my guess.
Sorry for the late reply. I was knee deep in baby crap that I had to take care of. So what is this great purpose you ask? Well since you ask, my opinion is that God created the universe and the world because he was simply lonely and wanted to fill his kingdom with people he could love and who would love him back.

But like I said, this is my opinion. All the "evidence" I have to support this is found in the bible. Since atheist obviously think the bible is a fairy tail, it would be like reading a nursery rhyme to prove that cows can jump over the moon. But anyway. Here is my opinion.

So why did god allegedly create a universe with trillions of planets so he could put one species on one planet to fulfill a need of god's? Why does a supposedly "perfect" god need anything?

If this god is lonely, and supposedly wants a relationship with humans, why does he hide from us?

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
05-11-2015, 11:03 AM
RE: People actually buy into this?
(05-11-2015 10:58 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(05-11-2015 10:51 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Sorry for the late reply. I was knee deep in baby crap that I had to take care of. So what is this great purpose you ask? Well since you ask, my opinion is that God created the universe and the world because he was simply lonely and wanted to fill his kingdom with people he could love and who would love him back.

So why did god allegedly create a universe with trillions of planets so he could put one species on one planet to fulfill a need of god's? Why does a supposedly "perfect" god need anything?

If this god is lonely, and supposedly wants a relationship with humans, why does he hide from us?
He didn't hide. He revealed himself many times in the bible through Jesus. He has revealed himself to me as well. I am not expecting you to believe it. I am ok if you think I completely lost it. If I was in your positions I would feel the same way.