Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-11-2015, 11:15 AM
RE: Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?
I'm very sorry for your loss. Hug

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-11-2015, 11:18 AM
RE: Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?
(05-11-2015 11:15 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  I'm very sorry for your loss. Hug
Thank you.
05-11-2015, 11:23 AM
People actually buy into this?
(05-11-2015 11:03 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(05-11-2015 10:58 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  So why did god allegedly create a universe with trillions of planets so he could put one species on one planet to fulfill a need of god's? Why does a supposedly "perfect" god need anything?

If this god is lonely, and supposedly wants a relationship with humans, why does he hide from us?
He didn't hide. He revealed himself many times in the bible through Jesus. He has revealed himself to me as well. I am not expecting you to believe it. I am ok if you think I completely lost it. If I was in your positions I would feel the same way.

You believe the way millions of others believe, however I believe claims of god revealing himself to be vacuous and without merit and that is ultimately a perfect summation of religious beliefs as a whole. Religion doesn't really provide answers, it just generates more questions than it answers.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
05-11-2015, 11:24 AM
So you see, there are many reasons why I believe in God and I can name many benefits. I know most of them will not be justifiable to many of the readers. The teachings in the bible helped me to let go of my anger and grief after my wife was murdered by am man on a suicide mission. But if the only reasonable answer is that I chose to believe in God as a coping mechanism to get over my loss, it seems like a fine reason for me.
05-11-2015, 11:25 AM
RE: People actually buy into this?
(05-11-2015 11:23 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(05-11-2015 11:03 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  He didn't hide. He revealed himself many times in the bible through Jesus. He has revealed himself to me as well. I am not expecting you to believe it. I am ok if you think I completely lost it. If I was in your positions I would feel the same way.

You believe the way millions of others believe, however I believe claims of god revealing himself to be vacuous and without merit and that is ultimately a perfect summation of religious beliefs as a whole. Religion doesn't really provide answers, it just generates more questions than it answers.
It is fine for you to believe that. I understand.
05-11-2015, 11:28 AM
(05-11-2015 10:57 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  ... what benefits do I have from being a Christian? Google "four killed in car accident jacksonville nc ".... you will find a good reason why I prefer to be a theist ...

You'll have to excuse my blindness because all I saw there was the aftermath of common human stupidity that left several dead and an infant orphaned. What does faith do for you reading that account that lack of faith does not do for me? How is your life made better by faith, reading that?
05-11-2015, 11:29 AM
(05-11-2015 11:24 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  But if the only reasonable answer is that I chose to believe in God as a coping mechanism to get over my loss, it seems like a fine reason for me.

It is.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
05-11-2015, 11:31 AM
(05-11-2015 11:28 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  
(05-11-2015 10:57 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  ... what benefits do I have from being a Christian? Google "four killed in car accident jacksonville nc ".... you will find a good reason why I prefer to be a theist ...

You'll have to excuse my blindness because all I saw there was the aftermath of common human stupidity that left several dead and an infant orphaned. What does faith do for you reading that account that lack of faith does not do for me? How is your life made better by faith, reading that?

I'm guessing that the victims were his family. That would put things in a different light.
05-11-2015, 11:37 AM
RE:
(05-11-2015 11:03 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(05-11-2015 10:58 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  So why did god allegedly create a universe with trillions of planets so he could put one species on one planet to fulfill a need of god's? Why does a supposedly "perfect" god need anything?

If this god is lonely, and supposedly wants a relationship with humans, why does he hide from us?
He didn't hide. He revealed himself many times in the bible through Jesus. He has revealed himself to me as well. I am not expecting you to believe it. I am ok if you think I completely lost it. If I was in your positions I would feel the same way.

Unfortunately, he does hide. Divine hiddenness is a serious problem with god. If he is good enough to reveal himself to you, or Paul or Moses in the burning bush then he should be good enough to reveal himself to everyone. After all if he is omniscient then he would know just exactly the level of revelation that everyone would need to help them believe. Why doesn't he he do so then? Why does god have to speak to people on an individual basis and not to the masses in a way that is so clear we would know it is him? What your left with is a god picking and choosing who he will play favorites with.

There are sincere, honest people (myself included) who desire to understand god if he exists, and have a relationship with him. Saying that we can't understand everything god does because his thoughts and ways are higher than our ways does nothing to add to the conversation. As a matter of fact it stops the conversation in its tracks. We as humans understand relationships...we know how they work and what ways they work best.

If you got a letter tomorrow that was written from a person who said they wanted to be your best friend, they wanted to help you through life, they wanted to talk to you daily and help you through good and bad times. Your first thought would probably be...wow, okay this is really cool, when can I meet this person? Let's start a relationship. What if that person took the stance...well, you can't see me, and I'm really not going to be talking to you in person but you'll have this letter I wrote to you. That's what you can use to have as a basis of your relationship with me. This would be ridiculous. Why? Because we know how relationships work and we know that the best way to have a good relationship is to interact daily, dialogue back and forth. From there strong ties grow. Wouldn't god know this? Of course he would...but the fact that he would choose to NOT interact this way makes him either kind of a jerk....or maybe it adds the notion that it makes more sense to think a god may not really be there.

**Crickets** -- God
[+] 1 user Likes Tonechaser77's post
05-11-2015, 11:44 AM
I know there are many who do not know me. So why is a theist going onto an atheist website with no intention of "converting" or changing anyone's opinion? The reason is because I am studying to become a military chaplain. The biggest responsibility a chaplain has is to ensure that the religious freedoms of ALL service members are protected. That includes atheist. I am here to understand atheist and know how they are being persecuted and judged so that I may better protect them.
[+] 1 user Likes jason_delisle's post