Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-11-2015, 12:49 PM
RE: Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?
(05-11-2015 12:43 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(05-11-2015 12:30 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  Why would you believe that god is talking to you? Let's skip insanity and trolling and we could call arrogance a reason for such belief. I guess it must feel quite good to have opportunity to listen to creator of universe.
I would assume that he spends much time reading the bible and thinking about god.
In the bible, the god talks to people. He believes the bible, he is taught to have a relationship with his god. Why wouldn't he think that god talks to him?

It is perfectly normal for some kids to have an imaginary friend, I don't see why adults can't have one too.

While god talking to Jason might be not unreasonable in light of his beliefs (and only in light of them) I would say it's still arrogance. Didn't god spoke only to really important guys in the Bible?

As for adults having imaginary friends, as long as said adults don't try to force their beliefs onto others they could claim to communicate with Cthulhu for all I care.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-11-2015, 12:49 PM
RE: Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?
(05-11-2015 12:30 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(05-11-2015 12:20 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Well... why do I believe it is God speaking to me? What options have I looked at to explain it. I am almost embarrassed to say. I won't get into specifics but all I will say is that either God actually spoke to me or I have completely lost my marbles. I prefer to believe I am not insane. Ok fellas.....let the roast begin. Dodgy

Why would you believe that god is talking to you? Let's skip insanity and trolling and we could call arrogance a reason for such belief. I guess it must feel quite good to have opportunity to listen to creator of universe.
Ok. Here we go. I had a vision in a dream. I know there are many explanations in the realm of Psychology or Physiology. But this vision was so powerful that it has resulting in giving up an amazing career flying an amazing aircraft to becoming a chaplain.
05-11-2015, 12:52 PM
(05-11-2015 11:44 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I know there are many who do not know me. So why is a theist going onto an atheist website with no intention of "converting" or changing anyone's opinion? The reason is because I am studying to become a military chaplain. The biggest responsibility a chaplain has is to ensure that the religious freedoms of ALL service members are protected. That includes atheist. I am here to understand atheist and know how they are being persecuted and judged so that I may better protect them.

Putting my veteran hat on right now.... All debate aside, if what you posted here is true then I will give you much more respect than I give most (if not all) other theists. Thumbsup

+1 rep from me!
[+] 2 users Like ohio_drg's post
05-11-2015, 12:52 PM
(05-11-2015 12:49 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(05-11-2015 12:30 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  Why would you believe that god is talking to you? Let's skip insanity and trolling and we could call arrogance a reason for such belief. I guess it must feel quite good to have opportunity to listen to creator of universe.
Ok. Here we go. I had a vision in a dream. I know there are many explanations in the realm of Psychology or Physiology. But this vision was so powerful that it has resulting in giving up an amazing career flying an amazing aircraft to becoming a chaplain.

So you disregarded said explanations and went for god? I guess it must feel kinda nice thinking that all powerfull guy in charge of the universe is taking time to play with your life.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 4 users Like Szuchow's post
05-11-2015, 12:56 PM
Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into...
(05-11-2015 12:20 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(05-11-2015 12:07 PM)Tonechaser77 Wrote:  Ok, that's an honest answer. Look i'm not going to sit here and belittle you because I have been in your position as well. I had an incident that happened to me when I was a child that I thought there was absolutely no explanation other than god...but now as an adult who has learned how to think rationally and reason through critical thinking I know there are much better explanations.

But why do you think he is communicating with you? What process did you take to arrive at the decision to know "this is god communicating with me"? Did you examine that process and come to that decision based on firm critical thinking? Or did something happen and you just said, "wow, this has to be god" without really looking at all the possible options and eliminating your biases?
Well... why do I believe it is God speaking to me? What options have I looked at to explain it. I am almost embarrassed to say. I won't get into specifics but all I will say is that either God actually spoke to me or I have completely lost my marbles. I prefer to believe I am not insane. Ok fellas.....let the roast begin. Dodgy

Like I said I'm not going to be shouting insanity. I'm not here to do that. You will also not hear me debating that you did not have an experience. Who am I to tell you that you didn't? It happened to you. You know that and only you know if you are lying to yourself and others. I don't think you are. However, as others have said, just because you had an experience doesn't mean that you can attribute that experience to god since you can't believe any other explanation to be possible. And even if you think no other explanation is available that does not put the God explanation at the default position. It puts "I don't know" at the default position as it should be. By saying it has to be God or you are crazy you have fallen into the false dilemma / either/or fallacy. That's okay though. We all commit fallacies but it's up to us to learn how to recognize them so we can avoid the pitfalls. Our brain evolved to not like uncertainty and as a result we assign an answer to something even if that answer is completely irrational. It at least fills in the gap so we feel more at peace. This is what I would encourage you to recognize. Smile

**Crickets** -- God
05-11-2015, 01:08 PM
(05-11-2015 12:52 PM)ohio_drg Wrote:  
(05-11-2015 11:44 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I know there are many who do not know me. So why is a theist going onto an atheist website with no intention of "converting" or changing anyone's opinion? The reason is because I am studying to become a military chaplain. The biggest responsibility a chaplain has is to ensure that the religious freedoms of ALL service members are protected. That includes atheist. I am here to understand atheist and know how they are being persecuted and judged so that I may better protect them.

Putting my veteran hat on right now.... All debate aside, if what you posted here is true then I will give you much more respect than I give most (if not all) other theists. Thumbsup

+1 rep from me!
Yay! Street cred!
05-11-2015, 01:11 PM
People actually buy into this?
(05-11-2015 12:49 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  

Awesome! Oral Roberts saw a 900 ft. Jesus and raised over a million dollars due to that vision, but later declared bankruptcy:

[Image: 700%20foot%20Jesus%20Oral%20Roberts%20Un...School.jpg]

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
05-11-2015, 01:14 PM
(05-11-2015 01:11 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(05-11-2015 12:49 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Ok. Here we go. I had a vision in a dream. I know there are many explanations in the realm of Psychology or Physiology. But this vision was so powerful that it has resulting in giving up an amazing career flying an amazing aircraft to becoming a chaplain.

Awesome! Oral Roberts saw a 900 ft. Jesus and raised over a million dollars due to that vision, but later declared bankruptcy:

[Image: 700%20foot%20Jesus%20Oral%20Roberts%20Un...School.jpg]

And here I thought there would be bullsht that no one will believe. I was mistaken it seems.

Mikhail Bakunin.
05-11-2015, 01:15 PM
(05-11-2015 12:49 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Ok. Here we go. I had a vision in a dream. I know there are many explanations in the realm of Psychology or Physiology. But this vision was so powerful that it has resulting in giving up an amazing career flying an amazing aircraft to becoming a chaplain.

Okay.

You had a vision of "god", which unfortunately is considered socially acceptable.

If you instead had a vision of the dark lord Cthulhu, you'd be sectioned.

Even though neither is crazier than the other. Funny thing that. Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
05-11-2015, 01:28 PM
Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?
I honestly think dreams are fantasy or mental regurgitation. There was a study that strangers in dreams are actual people you've met.

Maybe you already had that thought about being a chaplain or other religious career.

Because I had a dream that was so vivid and so realistic that I could feel my boots and feel my finger resting next to the trigger. (Zombie dream.) It was so real I woke up sweaty and my heart was racing. Of course, it made for one hell of a story.

I'm inclined to think it was just a dream. I'm concerned about you making a life change based on a dream. My vision was a waking one during meditation. I'm honestly concerned that you're doing it for the wrong reason.