Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-11-2015, 01:39 PM
RE: Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?
(05-11-2015 01:15 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(05-11-2015 12:49 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Ok. Here we go. I had a vision in a dream. I know there are many explanations in the realm of Psychology or Physiology. But this vision was so powerful that it has resulting in giving up an amazing career flying an amazing aircraft to becoming a chaplain.

Okay.

You had a vision of "god", which unfortunately is considered socially acceptable.

If you instead had a vision of the dark lord Cthulhu, you'd be sectioned.

Even though neither is crazier than the other. Funny thing that. Drinking Beverage
Cthulhu is a close friend of mine. Did a tour together in Afghanistan and saved my skin a time or two. What does he have to do with this? Wink
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like jason_delisle's post
05-11-2015, 01:47 PM
RE: Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?
(05-11-2015 01:39 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(05-11-2015 01:15 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Okay.

You had a vision of "god", which unfortunately is considered socially acceptable.

If you instead had a vision of the dark lord Cthulhu, you'd be sectioned.

Even though neither is crazier than the other. Funny thing that. Drinking Beverage
Cthulhu is a close friend of mine. Did a tour together in Afghanistan and saved my skin a time or two. What does he have to do with this? Wink

He didn't just eat you?

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
05-11-2015, 02:00 PM
(05-11-2015 01:47 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  
(05-11-2015 01:39 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Cthulhu is a close friend of mine. Did a tour together in Afghanistan and saved my skin a time or two. What does he have to do with this? Wink

He didn't just eat you?
He tried to once when he was drunk but that's water under the bridge. He is actually is a pretty swell guy....when he is sober.
[+] 1 user Likes jason_delisle's post
05-11-2015, 02:01 PM
(05-11-2015 01:11 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(05-11-2015 12:49 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Ok. Here we go. I had a vision in a dream. I know there are many explanations in the realm of Psychology or Physiology. But this vision was so powerful that it has resulting in giving up an amazing career flying an amazing aircraft to becoming a chaplain.

Awesome! Oral Roberts saw a 900 ft. Jesus and raised over a million dollars due to that vision, but later declared bankruptcy:

[Image: 700%20foot%20Jesus%20Oral%20Roberts%20Un...School.jpg]

Oh this brings back memories!!!! Big Grin

**Crickets** -- God
[+] 1 user Likes Tonechaser77's post
05-11-2015, 02:51 PM
(04-11-2015 10:48 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(04-11-2015 09:44 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  I was a real atheist for over 20 years. Still believe in evolution for the most part.

What part don't you believe? Consider
I consider it the advancement of life as a whole. The adaptation to changing habitat.
05-11-2015, 03:02 PM
EvolutionKills,

Never studied any God while I was atheist. Still value evidence, rationality, and the scientific method. Never had a problem with not having all the answers and still don't.

Didn't give up anything, it was added to, and made more complete.

I know you can't grasp some things, but that's no reason to call me a liar. Just because you can't understand something doesn't mean others can't.
05-11-2015, 03:08 PM
(05-11-2015 06:47 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(04-11-2015 09:44 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  I was a real atheist for over 20 years. Still believe in evolution for the most part.

The term "REAL" doesn't at all cover what distinction you think you mean by that. Just like Kirk Cameron saying he was a "devout" atheist. There is no defined argument. What do you think real is supposed to mean?

Your pattern is that you seem or truly just want to be insistent that there is "order" in the universe. That "Good" as you define it is something real and over negative bad things, and that drives the universe and thing such as evolution. Do you think if you could have evidence against that point you could change your perspective upon it?
Never said good is over bad or has much to do with the universe. It has to do with earth and man. I do know that the universe exhibits order though. Anyone with basic cognitive capacities can see that. But yeah, contrary to the general consensus of me here, I constantly take new information into consideration and would gladly look into any credible pertinent information.
05-11-2015, 03:12 PM
(05-11-2015 12:49 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  While god talking to Jason might be not unreasonable in light of his beliefs (and only in light of them) I would say it's still arrogance. Didn't god spoke only to really important guys in the Bible?
Yeah, I don't know, haven't read the bible. I presume the god only spoke to males (but I could be mistaken). Didn't his angel talk to Mary before the god knocked her up LOL.
Anyways, I'm not sure there is value in pointing out that someone is arrogant. So what if they are?
However, if he genuinely believes that he is hearing voices perhaps he has developed a medical or psychological issue. Maybe its a normal coping mechanism given what he has gone through, or perhaps there is something more serious going on, IDK.

I guess it must feel very real to him, like he has no doubts that it is a separate entity rather than his own imagination. If he has determined that it is his god then he may get joy or comfort from it, perhaps that is why he hasn't sought professional consultation.
Or maybe he sees it as harmless.

(05-11-2015 12:49 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  As for adults having imaginary friends, as long as said adults don't try to force their beliefs onto others they could claim to communicate with Cthulhu for all I care.
Yeah agreed. It's somewhat amusing but hopefully they keep it to themselves.
05-11-2015, 03:15 PM
RE: People actually buy into this?
(05-11-2015 08:49 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(05-11-2015 08:42 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I believe a god (specifically the God of Abraham ) created the universe with a power so great that no man can comprehend. Why? Because it makes more sense in my opinion than nothing created everything for no reason.

How can you draw a direct correlation between the universe being created and your personal favorite deity? Why not Shiva, Odin, Zues, or Mithras?

The most intellectually honest position, if you insist that a deity is the cause, is that it's impersonal and all of man's religions are off the mark, which leads you to a pretty useless god concept.
Why does that mean it has to be impersonal? Also, why can God not just GOD? I mean Elohim, Brahmin, Yahweh, Allah, they all pertain to the same creator God. So why does someone have to differentiate? There is one God. The sooner people can start to realize this the sooner peace and advancement can abound.
05-11-2015, 03:20 PM
RE: People actually buy into this?
(05-11-2015 10:58 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(05-11-2015 10:51 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Sorry for the late reply. I was knee deep in baby crap that I had to take care of. So what is this great purpose you ask? Well since you ask, my opinion is that God created the universe and the world because he was simply lonely and wanted to fill his kingdom with people he could love and who would love him back.

But like I said, this is my opinion. All the "evidence" I have to support this is found in the bible. Since atheist obviously think the bible is a fairy tail, it would be like reading a nursery rhyme to prove that cows can jump over the moon. But anyway. Here is my opinion.

So why did god allegedly create a universe with trillions of planets so he could put one species on one planet to fulfill a need of god's? Why does a supposedly "perfect" god need anything?

If this god is lonely, and supposedly wants a relationship with humans, why does he hide from us?
God needs nothing from us. Did someone really say God was lonely? Wow!