Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-11-2015, 03:31 PM
Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?
(05-11-2015 02:51 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  I consider it the advancement of life as a whole. The adaptation to changing habitat.

The second sentence is fine; the first is meaningless.

(05-11-2015 03:08 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  I do know that the universe exhibits order though. Anyone with basic cognitive capacities can see that.

It also exhibits disorder. Your point?

Quote: But yeah, contrary to the general consensus of me here, I constantly take new information into consideration and would gladly look into any credible pertinent information.

You mean you'll consider anything that agrees with your personal delusions.

(05-11-2015 03:15 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  I mean Elohim, Brahmin, Yahweh, Allah, they all pertain to the same creator God. So why does someone have to differentiate? There is one God. The sooner people can start to realize this the sooner peace and advancement can abound.

Prove it. Just one shred of evidence. That's all we ask. You have nothing.

(05-11-2015 03:20 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  God needs nothing from us. Did someone really say God was lonely? Wow!

More unsubstantiated claims from the master. The more you post the more obvious it is that you need serious help.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-11-2015, 03:31 PM
RE: Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?
(05-11-2015 01:39 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Cthulhu is a close friend of mine. Did a tour together in Afghanistan and saved my skin a time or two. What does he have to do with this? Wink

Heart

Hug

Big Grin
05-11-2015, 03:42 PM
RE: Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?
Unfogged, read the Gita, or Qur'an, or any other peaceable monotheistic scripture without bias and you will see that not only do they refer to the same creator God with the same attributes, but they also explain the connection with God. Did you really just ask me to prove that there is one God. Pretty sure we've been over this. No one else can prove it for you. Especially when you are incapable of accepting things that aren't proven by science, which much isn't, by the way. As if man can prove some things that had been show. to him and go on to exclaim that said observations are the literal limit of existence.
05-11-2015, 03:46 PM
RE: People actually buy into this?
(05-11-2015 03:15 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(05-11-2015 08:49 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  How can you draw a direct correlation between the universe being created and your personal favorite deity? Why not Shiva, Odin, Zues, or Mithras?

The most intellectually honest position, if you insist that a deity is the cause, is that it's impersonal and all of man's religions are off the mark, which leads you to a pretty useless god concept.
Why does that mean it has to be impersonal? Also, why can God not just GOD? I mean Elohim, Brahmin, Yahweh, Allah, they all pertain to the same creator God. So why does someone have to differentiate? There is one God. The sooner people can start to realize this the sooner peace and advancement can abound.
The God of Abraham is the same god of the Jews, Christians, and Muslims.
05-11-2015, 03:50 PM
(05-11-2015 03:46 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(05-11-2015 03:15 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Why does that mean it has to be impersonal? Also, why can God not just GOD? I mean Elohim, Brahmin, Yahweh, Allah, they all pertain to the same creator God. So why does someone have to differentiate? There is one God. The sooner people can start to realize this the sooner peace and advancement can abound.
Yeah, pretty sure we all know that here. Thanks though.
05-11-2015, 03:55 PM
(05-11-2015 01:28 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  I honestly think dreams are fantasy or mental regurgitation. There was a study that strangers in dreams are actual people you've met.

Maybe you already had that thought about being a chaplain or other religious career.

Because I had a dream that was so vivid and so realistic that I could feel my boots and feel my finger resting next to the trigger. (Zombie dream.) It was so real I woke up sweaty and my heart was racing. Of course, it made for one hell of a story.

I'm inclined to think it was just a dream. I'm concerned about you making a life change based on a dream. My vision was a waking one during meditation. I'm honestly concerned that you're doing it for the wrong reason.
I understand your concern and it is legitimate. However I do not think my life changes were for the wrong reason. Have you ever hear a Christian who said they were serving in ministry because "I had a calling."? You didn't expect them to have gotten a phone call from God....did you? Well I considered the vision as my calling, plain and simple. I believe "a calling" would be one of the most respectable reasons.
(05-11-2015 03:31 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(05-11-2015 02:51 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  I consider it the advancement of life as a whole. The adaptation to changing habitat.

The second sentence is fine; the first is meaningless.

(05-11-2015 03:08 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  I do know that the universe exhibits order though. Anyone with basic cognitive capacities can see that.

It also exhibits disorder. Your point?

Quote: But yeah, contrary to the general consensus of me here, I constantly take new information into consideration and would gladly look into any credible pertinent information.

(05-11-2015 03:15 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  I mean Elohim, Brahmin, Yahweh, Allah, they all pertain to the same creator God. So why does someone have to differentiate? There is one God. The sooner people can start to realize this the sooner peace and advancement can abound.

(05-11-2015 03:20 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  God needs nothing from us. Did someone really say God was lonely? Wow!

More unsubstantiated claims from the master. The more you post the more obvious it is that you need serious help.
05-11-2015, 03:55 PM
(05-11-2015 03:50 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(05-11-2015 03:46 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  The God of Abraham is the same god of the Jews, Christians, and Muslims.
Yeah, pretty sure we all know that here. Thanks though.
K. Just checking. Wink
05-11-2015, 03:57 PM
(05-11-2015 03:12 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Anyways, I'm not sure there is value in pointing out that someone is arrogant. So what if they are?

I do not care if he is arrogant but arrogance is good reason for claims about hearing god.

(05-11-2015 03:12 PM)Stevil Wrote:  However, if he genuinely believes that he is hearing voices perhaps he has developed a medical or psychological issue. Maybe its a normal coping mechanism given what he has gone through, or perhaps there is something more serious going on, IDK.

I don't really care about him hearing "god". I only point that arrogance could be a reason for thinking that one is able to communicate with maker of the universe.

Sure there could be other reasons, but it's of no concern to me as I only state possible reason.

(05-11-2015 03:12 PM)Stevil Wrote:  I guess it must feel very real to him, like he has no doubts that it is a separate entity rather than his own imagination. If he has determined that it is his god then he may get joy or comfort from it, perhaps that is why he hasn't sought professional consultation.
Or maybe he sees it as harmless.

Maybe. But I'm not really interested if this feel real to him or not; it's not my concern.

(05-11-2015 03:12 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Yeah agreed. It's somewhat amusing but hopefully they keep it to themselves.

If theists would keep their "special relationships" to themselves then it would be amusing. As it stand it's harmful to the society.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
05-11-2015, 04:00 PM
(05-11-2015 03:46 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(05-11-2015 03:15 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Why does that mean it has to be impersonal? Also, why can God not just GOD? I mean Elohim, Brahmin, Yahweh, Allah, they all pertain to the same creator God. So why does someone have to differentiate? There is one God. The sooner people can start to realize this the sooner peace and advancement can abound.

Yet you will find Jews, Christians, and Muslims who vehemently deny this -- the main sticking point being the Trinity. To most Jews and Muslims, that constitutes idolatry ("three powers in heaven"). And many Christians feel that Jews and Muslims are worshipping a different God (or even a "demon") for the same reason -- they don't recognize the Trinity.
05-11-2015, 04:05 PM
(05-11-2015 03:42 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Unfogged, read the Gita, or Qur'an, or any other peaceable monotheistic scripture without bias and you will see that not only do they refer to the same creator God with the same attributes, but they also explain the connection with God.

There are similarities because (a) people are basically the same so the stories they invent are often similar and (b) there was a lot of borrowing and reworking going on. On the other hand, the specifics of the stories and the attributes of the gods are not identical. You can gloss over the differences because you are a deluded fool who only sees what he wants to see and is unable to face reality.

Quote:Did you really just ask me to prove that there is one God. Pretty sure we've been over this. No one else can prove it for you.

You make grand, sweeping claims about the nature of god often but you have yet to provide a shred of evidence why anybody should believe a word you post. Your personal delusions are your own problem, please stop trying to foist them off onto others.

Quote:Especially when you are incapable of accepting things that aren't proven by science, which much isn't, by the way.

Science has provided a wealth of information about what is real and the idea that you accept things as real when you have no evidence for them at all is pitiful. Your delusions are not evidence. You are a sad, pitiful little man living in a fantasy world and I feel very sorry for you.

Quote:As if man can prove some things that had been show. to him and go on to exclaim that said observations are the literal limit of existence.

That makes no sense. You are raving again. Get help Pops, you need it.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post